Want a canoe, know nothing about them

Mike 338

WKR
So at least in my area, I've seen local paddle craft dealers have some kind of demo day in the Springtime. They usually coordinate with a few manufacturers who travel around promoting their products. That along with the a prominent local dealer and you can demo a dozen canoes all in one day. It's pretty common for the dealers to demo and/or rent canoes so you're not going in blind. Call the local canoe dealer and ask about demo's.

My first canoe was a used, beat up, 17 foot camo hog of a thing that I cut my teeth on. It wasn't very expensive and I gave it away. It was good to learn the basics of paddling on.

I'd like to get a canoe. Float, camp and fish down smaller, somewhat quick rivers. Possibly some lake use but not likely or often. Some duck hunting but for that it'll mostly just be walked beside and used to keep the kid and decoys in.

What type or style am I looking for? Aluminum, plastic or fiberglass? Will be transported on top of SUV and loaded up there, mostly with little to no help.

Any advice is appreciated.

You describe the use case for the Prospector style canoes. Nearly all major companies make a version. Arched bottom, some rocker, no keel. 16 or 17' is about ideal. I wouldn't pass up a Mad River Explorer either.

Flat bottom boats like the Coleman's and Old Town Campers are great for families and dogs due to high initial stability, but turn very slowly and are a lot of work in the small, quick rivers. That arched bottom and rocker on a down river canoe will feel tippy, but in fact allow you to dodge rocks and sweepers and recover from a sketchy situation with a strong stroke.

If there are rocks, then you want plastic types as it will slide off easier and make it less likely to breach. A plastic boat is also very unlikely to be permanently damaged in the water. I would not recommended the rotomolded type however, as the one's I've seen have been heavy dogs.

Aluminum makes great utility canoes, but is super sticky on rocks and prone to damage in white water. Also pretty cold and noisy to sit in. For a lot of people, they work very well. Wouldn't be my choice for "small, somewhat quick rivers"

Composites are the best (light and stiff) for loading / unloading and portaging, but also relatively fragile and not very slippery. The most expensive by far, but the top choice for building flatwater canoes.

Otherwise, like most things its more about the skill of the paddler than the canoe. Bill Mason's "Path of the Paddle" is historically the bible for mixed water paddling skills.

My main canoe is a 17' Hellman Prospector built with a flexible composite. It's great for mixed water trips, but slow'ish on the lakes compared to a true flatwater canoe and too long and sticky for rocky whitewater. Everything is a compromise, but it works well for my current uses.

Mike 338

WKR
You describe the use case for the Prospector style canoes. Nearly all major companies make a version. Arched bottom, some rocker, no keel. 16 or 17' is about ideal. I wouldn't pass up a Mad River Explorer either.

Flat bottom boats like the Coleman's and Old Town Campers are great for families and dogs due to high initial stability, but turn very slowly and are a lot of work in the small, quick rivers. That arched bottom and rocker on a down river canoe will feel tippy, but in fact allow you to dodge rocks and sweepers and recover from a sketchy situation with a strong stroke.

If there are rocks, then you want plastic types as it will slide off easier and make it less likely to breach. A plastic boat is also very unlikely to be permanently damaged in the water. I would not recommended the rotomolded type however, as the one's I've seen have been heavy dogs.

Aluminum makes great utility canoes, but is super sticky on rocks and prone to damage in white water. Also pretty cold and noisy to sit in. For a lot of people, they work very well. Wouldn't be my choice for "small, somewhat quick rivers"

Composites are the best (light and stiff) for loading / unloading and portaging, but also relatively fragile and not very slippery. The most expensive by far, but the top choice for building flatwater canoes.

Otherwise, like most things its more about the skill of the paddler than the canoe. Bill Mason's "Path of the Paddle" is historically the bible for mixed water paddling skills.

My main canoe is a 17' Hellman Prospector built with a flexible composite. It's great for mixed water trips, but slow'ish on the lakes compared to a true flatwater canoe and too long and sticky for rocky whitewater. Everything is a compromise, but it works well for my current uses.
Agree about the Prospector. I have a Nova Craft 16' Prospector and it's a do all rig although it's no speed demon on flat water. Carries plenty of cargo and good for solo or double.

Bert01

FNG
I have a Coleman scanoe, I’ve never had anything nicer so I probably don’t know what I’m missing. However for duck hunting the swamps here in SC it’s great. Stable, cheap, bomb proof, and holds everything I can put in it. The previous owner drug it over concrete or pavement so what keel it had was worn thin and cracked. I welded it back and built it up to like new thickness with some plastic welding rods off Amazon. Not the nicest or lightest but it works for my needs.

49ereric

WKR
I have a Coleman scanoe, I’ve never had anything nicer so I probably don’t know what I’m missing. However for duck hunting the swamps here in SC it’s great. Stable, cheap, bomb proof, and holds everything I can put in it. The previous owner drug it over concrete or pavement so what keel it had was worn thin and cracked. I welded it back and built it up to like new thickness with some plastic welding rods off Amazon. Not the nicest or lightest but it works for my needs.
This ^^^^
been using a Coleman scanoe since @ the late 90’s. Doesn’t easily tip like aluminum.
mostly used duck hunting I kneel in the middle when paddling out in the dark.
15’ #99 lbs and mine is 43” wide.
have to find one used though cuz long out of production.

Bert01

FNG
I kneel in the middle or sit on a bucket or stool with my boys in the seats, hunting and fishing.

mjh

FNG
Wenonah Prospector in Flex Core. I like to keep my canoes at 60lbs or less if I'm the one moving them around when out of the water.
We have a Prospector 15 in Royalex bought used some years ago. It's been a very good canoe for our needs.
I'd like to get a Grey Duck 16'6" Saganaga in their carbon light lay up......and I might yet.....

bis534

FNG
I would defintely look at kayaks.

I've been fishing out of them for about 10 years, along with a little bit of duck hunting.

Being that you sit much lower in the kayak, they are waaaay more stable than a canoe. I've been out in whitecaps on the lakes with my kayaks, never felt like I was in danger of tipping over.

There are lots of different makes/models. If I'm fishing alone, I like the Old Town Dirigo. If my dog is along, a bigger cockpit is needed so it's usually either the Old Town Vapor or our double boat. It's an Old Town, too, but I can't remember the model.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
You just can't beat a used royalex prospector from Mad River or Old Town in 16-17 foot range for what you describe. There is a learning curve, but you can portage it and put it on and off your car/truck by yourself and a far more versatile craft than a sit on top kayak that may have the advantage in certain specific circumstances. It is a proven workhorse of a design and material and can be had for a few hundred dollars on Craigslist in many areas.

I worked in a Whitewater kayak and rafting shop part-time for about 20 years to help those guys out. I can definitely help you if you want to PM me. The good thing about the recreational water market is that it has gotten very very good at new products and designs what you’re describing

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
I currently own 6 canoes - extended wilderness tripping is part of my/our lives, and I was paddling yesterday.

First: Tandem or Solo?

Second: How big/strong are you? Loading a 75# canoe is wildly different than a 40# canoe for most mere mortals.

Third: When you say camp...overnighters? Week-long trips? How heavy do you anticipate packing?

Fourth: Estimated total weight of people/gear/dog for heaviest use-case?

Fifth: Budget?

Sixth: The rivers - are we talking bony water, where you are bumping and grinding, or ?

Seventh: Any portaging?

WKR
I currently own 6 canoes - extended wilderness tripping is part of my/our lives, and I was paddling yesterday.

First: Tandem or Solo?

Second: How big/strong are you? Loading a 75# canoe is wildly different than a 40# canoe for most mere mortals.

Third: When you say camp...overnighters? Week-long trips? How heavy do you anticipate packing?

Fourth: Estimated total weight of people/gear/dog for heaviest use-case?

Fifth: Budget?

Sixth: The rivers - are we talking bony water, where you are bumping and grinding, or ?

Seventh: Any portaging?
Good considerations. I feel that a 16’ Mad River Explorer is a good all around choice. Having said that, some will have good reasons to go longer or shorter, or with some other style or brand. Still, if you’re starting out and are unsure what’s best for you, the 16’ Explorer is a solid place to begin.

tuffcity

WKR
zSaPyw5.jpg

Ours is a Clipper "tripper". about 18 ft and weighs 45 pounds and I think load rated for a 1000 lbs. It's the kevlar model and gets the odd rock kiss in the gel coat. Great unit for short and long trips. This pic is moose hunting in skinny water and swamps.

They're made in Chilliwack, BC and if you're close to the border might be worth a look as our CAN $ is still getting shit kicked compared to the US $.

OP
A

First: Tandem or Solo? Mostly tandem, but sometimes the second person will be my kid, so not a ton of help there just yet.

Second: How big/strong are you? Loading a 75# canoe is wildly different than a 40# canoe for most mere mortals. I'm in decent shape, but also trying not to throw my back out loading this.

Third: When you say camp...overnighters? Week-long trips? How heavy do you anticipate packing? Overnighters plus fishing gear.

Fourth: Estimated total weight of people/gear/dog for heaviest use-case? 700 pounds or so

Fifth: Budget? Used under 500 to start, until I know what I want. If I enjoy it and have a use for something better then I will upgrade from there.

Sixth: The rivers - are we talking bony water, where you are bumping and grinding, or ? No, shallow and some gravel, mostly sand in a lot of places.

Seventh: Any portaging? Very little if I can help it.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the additional info.

You'll have to make decisions about where to give, as the canoe you need is going to be a unicorn. If budget were no object, I'd say a heavier Kevlar layup prospector or similar downriver hull...but perhaps something in a lighter material like Tuf-weave or T-Formex.

On the used market, if you get lucky there was a lighter version of Royalex produced for a while.

I'm thinking at least 16 feet, maybe 17. You want a hull with some rocker.

To fit in the budget, definitely used, and I think you have to consider aluminum, as that can check all the boxes except weight. It is also the most likely to come in at/under budget.

There's one canoe I used to own that you should look at: a 16' Sportspal. It's certainly the best canoe out there for duck hunting. It's stable, hauls a load, wide, unsinkable and slow (however speed on rivers is less important for most folks).

They weigh less than most Aluminum canoes and much less than the modern poly monsters. You might have to retrofit a yoke for carrying, though that's easy enough.

And in a couple years when you want to upgrade, sell it for what you paid for it, and get the pricier boat that you'll own for many years.

Craigslist, FB marketplace and North American Canoe Trader group on FB are your most likely sources.

Good luck.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You should know that caones suck. I have one I got at a garage sale, I think its made by a companycalled "old School". Of all the things I go and do with my wife, getting the canoe out is my least favorite. My heart sinks when she starts saying she wants to go canoeing, Id rather go berry picking or pretty much anything.

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
Go and take a lesson or two on how to paddle. That will make or break you. It will make you understand how to control the canoe and make your life so much easier.

Dang. Canoeing is a top wilderness activity. Kayaking sucks though. Hate to get in an out of those things, and portaging is a bear. :D

IMG_5273.JPEG

IMG_5286.JPEG

IMG_2660.JPEG

I pretty much agree with roosterdown. For sandy / gravel streams, your top choice is a composite, but it's going to be well out of that budget. A used royalex lite would be ideal, and royalex woudl also work great but in the $500 budget range you are probably looking at aluminum or heavy Old Town Discovery types on the used market. Both of those live forever, but are HEAVY.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Dang. Canoeing is a top wilderness activity. Kayaking sucks though. Hate to get in an out of those things, and portaging is a bear. :D

I pretty much agree with roosterdown. For sandy / gravel streams, your top choice is a composite, but it's going to be well out of that budget. A used royalex lite would be ideal, and royalex woudl also work great but in the $500 budget range you are probably looking at aluminum or heavy Old Town Discovery types on the used market. Both of those live forever, but are HEAVY.
Nice boats - guessing here, but Mad River on the right and Souris River on the left?