Warm Feet Hacks for Backcountry Hunting

jreyna

FNG
Hey folks. I wonder if you guys have any tips/tricks/hacks for keeping your feet warm outside of the traditional insulated boots/hot hands/toe warmers.

I currently run merino wool socks in my uninsulated Crispi Nevada GTXs and the only part of my feet that get cold are my toes when stationary (glassing or sitting on some game). Most of the time I hunt my feet don't get cold, but last year we had a lot of snow on the ground and it was much colder than normal with little sunshine. I'd like to avoid removing my boots or walking on something like a hand warmer and am open to an electric solution, but it's really only my toes that need the occasional help.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
Would be useful to know if you’re asking for the purpose of backcountry hunting or day hunts/front country hunts since the solutions can be different.

For backcountry, I wear mountaineering socks and lace my boots looser to compensate. May switch to down booties for glassing. Occasionally bring OR X gaiters which are insulated, full boot gaiters. Never packed in boot warmers or electric socks.

Front country: electric socks, overboots, OR X gaiter, maybe boot warmers. All depends on conditions, but lots of easy options.

OP
jreyna

jreyna

FNG
Would be useful to know if you’re asking for the purpose of backcountry hunting or day hunts/front country hunts since the solutions can be different.

For backcountry, I wear mountaineering socks and lace my boots looser to compensate. May switch to down booties for glassing. Occasionally bring OR X gaiters which are insulated, full boot gaiters. Never packed in boot warmers or electric socks.

Front country: electric socks, overboots, OR X gaiter, maybe boot warmers. All depends on conditions, but lots of easy options.
Great question Poser. I just updated the title of the post. I forgot to mention this is for backcountry hunting purposes. Good call on the mountaineering socks/down booties.

@Lytro - I hadn't thought of antiperspirant

JohnB

WKR
If I'm going to be sitting for a while when I pull on warm clothes I'll loosen my boot laces up for the sit then tighten them back up when I'm in the go. It's a pain if I'm wearing gaiters but I typically only do that when there is more that 8 or 10 inches of snow.

Open up your boots once stopped to let them dry out. Replace your socks once stopped. Do not over tighten your shoot laces; will restrict circulation.

Put rubber seat pad/cardboard/etc under your feet when stationary. Not sure why folks overlook this. They put a pad under their butts when its cold but rarely for the feet. Learned this lesson while waterfowl hunting and it helped a lot.

Macintosh

WKR
Put a hat on. And a puffy if you are sitting.

Seriously, you lose most of the heat from your body through your head and torso, if your hands or feet are cold, put a hat on and your body will stop restricting blood flow to the extremities.

Drenalin

WKR
Dry feet
Dry feet
Dry feet

I almost always change socks when I stop moving, even if they don’t “feel” wet.

Open up your boots once stopped to let them dry out. Replace your socks once stopped. Do not over tighten your shoot laces; will restrict circulation.

Put rubber seat pad/cardboard/etc under your feet when stationary. Not sure why folks overlook this. They put a pad under their butts when its cold but rarely for the feet. Learned this lesson while waterfowl hunting and it helped a lot.
☝️☝️
Pad under the feet, game changer on metal deer stands growing up.
If it’s real windy or on an exposed glassing knob I’ll stick my feet in a dry bag, usually have one anyway.

TaperPin

WKR
Keep the blood going to your feet warm - wear insulation of some sort on your legs.

akwchil

FNG
I have used a warm nalgene to warm the boots up before i put them on. This has helped warm up the feet and get the blood flowing to help keep the toes warm.

Seeknelk

WKR
Puffy pants and a foam pad under feet. Although usually it's just my heels on the ground while glassing it seems so foam matter less

ChrisAU

WKR
Keep feet dry.

That's it, that's the trick.

I often take my boots and socks off when I reach a stationary destination, i.e. glassing spot and let my feet breathe for a few minutes. It seems counter-intuitive, but those puppies should be warm-ish atleast when you get to your spot, let them out to breath and dry while your boots and socks also dry. When they start to feel cool put the socks and boots back on. A new pair of socks is even better.

GoatPackr

WKR
Warm up some small rocks with a fire or a stove and put them in your boots for a few minutes before putting the boots on and at the end of the day before going to bed. It helps dry them out good and preheat them before putting them on.
Be careful not to get the rocks hot it can cause problems with shrinking things inside the boots if heated to much. Much like getting a pair of leather gloves wet and then putting them on a hot stove to dry.

Kris