Warmer than fleece midlayer

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the market for something warmer than fleece as a midlayer. My current system is FL aerowool baselayer, FL Klamath hoody midlayer, kelvin lite hoody puffy or for colder weather a down hoody from a non hunting brand.

However, I find that oftentimes I’m too cold to hike around in just a baselayer and a fleece. I think something like a kelvin active jacket is exactly what I’m looking for, but I think it’s too bulky to wear under and actual puffy.

Right now I use a FL uncompahgre vest with my fleece to help keep in warmth, but im open to the idea of one piece as a warm midlayer.

I’m not really a soft shell guy and I think they’re way overpriced, for example the jetstream is like $330.

Does any one have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
I like to use the an active insulation layer as a replacement for my fleece once the temps drop. For cold weather I usually go Merino, Kuiu Kenai Jacket, Rain shell. The Kuiu Kenai or the kelvin active will be warmer for their weight than a comparative fleece.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kuiu insulated snap shirt. Same insulation as the kenai just less of it. Will layer much easier.

ChrisAU

WKR
IMO the Klamath is not very warm. The Kuiu Peloton 200 or Strongfleece 210/260 is much warmer, I've had them all.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
For really cold I’ve had good luck with the kenai products from Kuiu and Patagonia’s nano air - I would imagine the kelvin active would be the same experience. “Active” insulation is really nice for certain uses. The Kutana hybrid Kuiu came out with is also an option I’d like to try.

Mike7

WKR
Fleece is very warm for wt generally, but extremely breathable and with zero wind resistance depending upon the weave.

If the fleece over baselayer is not enough in the wind for you, but a puffy is too much, then you can try adding a 3-4oz windshirt like the Houdini over or under your fleece. Of course, adding a breathable rain shell with big torso/pit vents over your fleece instead is also an option, if you carry this rain layer anyway.

Both above options will be warmer and lighter than a soft shell, but could be a little less breathable...however, decreased breathability can be remedied by removing the wind layer and going with fleece only if you are vigorously exerting.

Blocking wind is a good idea. Mountain jacket or vest is reasonably cheap and adds a like of warmth for weight.

Look at the traverse zip t which is like a heavyweight core zip t with a heavier face fabric that is more wind resistant and wears harder. The traverse hoody is even warmer but heavier with a Berber fleece interior.

I have a kelvin active jacket and like it but it is a light thin puffy in essence.

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone has different reactions to the cold. I personally feel it starts with a base layer that you trust. For me, I go with a Patagonia Capilene 3 heavy weight as my base.

Next I like a fleece that’s thick. I have a trusty Columbia 1/4 zip fleece that somehow generates more heat than anything I’ve used. I have other heavier fleeces ofcourse, but that Columbia thing, wow it’s great.

Outer I don’t go into the cold without a outer jacket that’s “Windproof”. Windproof is a big key to keeping the heat those fleeces generate inside keeping you warm.

Occasionally just under my jacket I may use a fleece hoodie.

So I’m layered, and not bulked at all. Only thing that gets cold on me are my feet, have never figured out a system for them properly besides PAK boots and my face, which I can rotate a mask on if it becomes an issue.

They make some high end products these days for hundreds of dollars each garment. With the exception of Patagonia which is hefty priced and anti everything, I’m not using up a lot of money. You just gotta find the right fleeces. I can tell by their construction how they react on my body.

Oh BTW, that Patagonia stinks of B.O. after 1 use. It really wicks sweat. Most base layers do as well if they are working right. Yes Merino will stink too if it’s wicking.

A fleece pullover with Gore windstopper lining. I have a cabelas legacy fleece with windstopper that works great for what you describe.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
I have a cabelas t-neck with windstopper that is pretty warm. Windstopper in a mid layer will keep more body heat in.

tonedover

FNG
i have a strongfleece 260, which would be warmer than ur fleece.
i also layer 2 thin patagonia fleeces with a lot of success

lastly - hat choice is an underrated item i think a lot of guys should pay more attention to when talking about mid layer warmth. carrying another 4-8 ounces for a thick hat is worth its weight in gold and warmth

mcseal2

WKR
I like the kuiu insulated snap shirt and sitka mountain vest with my kuiu peloton 240 for being active in really cold weather. When I stop a big puffy and shell can go it all.

mtnkid85

WKR
I have to kinda agree with 5milesback, hike harder.
Of course thats not always possible if Im still hunting or its legitimately colder than Ill sub in a Patagonia nano air light and as the temp continues to drop Ill go to a nano puff. But honestly Im wearing a base layer, R1 weight fleece then a soft-shell 80% of the time.

RCB

WKR
Consider buying a thicker fleece. Something in the 200 or 300 g/m^2 category.

I’ve never found one base layer or one mid layer that works for all temps. I layer them up as needed. If it’s cold, I might have 2 or 3 merino base layers, a grid fleece, then a mid layer hoody. Then whatever is needed on top of that.

Take this FWIW, but hunting this am in 42 degrees, no wind, in a blind so this was a little more than tree stand hunting but by no means hiking or moving, it was still.
My layers on top were T-shirt (cheapo poly blend), Kuiu strong fleece hoody, Sitka jet stream. It all layered nicely together and I was perfectly warm upstairs sitting for almost 3 hours from before sun and I never had the sun hit the blind (trees and it is down in a valley of sorts).

Honestly this was really warm walking in about 400 yards +/-, and thought if I was doing any strenuous hiking I would need to vent to prevent over heating. While sitting in the blind I was perfect.

Just letting you know the strong fleece is a good mid layer which can serve as an outer layer if needed too.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
first suggestion is to invest in a windshirt- by far the most used item of outdoor clothing I own- that's all four seasons

layered over just a light base layer can often get me into the mid 30's on the move, over a heavier base layer or fleece lower yet- it obviously deflects wind, but also does a good job with light precipitation AND is on the order of tenfold more breathable than any hardshell piece

if you need more insulation (on the move)- Patagonia's Nano Air light hoody is tough to beat