Washington State

jimh406

WKR
Haha, yea that is why they closed the spring bear season

Had nothing to do with the population.

However, conservationists argued orphaning cubs during a spring season would be inevitable. Conservationists also said a spring black bear hunt unfairly targets bears that are emerging from hibernation.

Had nothing to do with the population.

However, conservationists argued orphaning cubs during a spring season would be inevitable. Conservationists also said a spring black bear hunt unfairly targets bears that are emerging from hibernation.

Oh I fully understand I’m just saying the fact that the bear population is exploding doesn’t mean WDFW won’t close down and or shorten seasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bachto

WKR
The high buck hunt is a good place to start to cut your teeth on hunting mulies here. Get in good shape though because they are wilderness hunts and not easy to say the least.

Buy a bear tag as well, the more of those we can kill the better.

Lifetime WA resident and these are my personal opinions:
Lots of public land and mule deer hunting opportunities on the east slope of the cascades. If you can hunt with something other than a modern rifle you will have a more enjoyable experience by virtue of less people. Modern season is a flood of orange concentrated on or within a mile or two of gravel road. Still, bucks get shot. Big mountain country burns a lot, but if you are flexible on your hunting area it can be worked around and provide good opportunity in future years. Lots of guys shoot the first 3 point they see, unfortunately. The high buck hunt is as good of a time to go for a hike as any, but there are lots of hikers in September. The late whitetail season is a pretty good time of year to be in the woods and a fun hunt. Drawing a quality deer tag is a 10+ year game at least, quality Elk tags turning into once in a lifetime... + Bear hunting, + predator hunting, + bird hunting.
Biggest issue w/ WA is the demographic split between West side and East side, and unfortunately it is the west side that makes the decisions.

lonedave

WKR
I’ve lived in Washington my whole life (64+ years) and have seen all the ups and more current downs. Just to let you know, there are still deer in Washington. They aren’t always big and they’re not as plentiful as in years past, but if you spend time searching you can still find them. These are all from the last 6 seasons, all on public property, though a couple require access through private with permission.

1C9B0B9D-D95C-4542-A4F6-067CA3278F16.jpeg

BFE4EEF4-6D44-4D76-A273-95DA9302EDCC.jpeg

FC634A8F-AB4B-4B14-85F4-2A3DC0311972.jpeg

92E0F3AB-F9F2-4EAC-9288-FF4FEB3A4479.jpeg

20220440EED1-F438-4129-AE29-880DCFCED8F2.jpeg

OP
B
I’ve lived in Washington my whole life (64+ years) and have seen all the ups and more current downs. Just to let you know, there are still deer in Washington. They aren’t always big and they’re not as plentiful as in years past, but if you spend time searching you can still find them. These are all from the last 6 seasons, all on public property, though a couple require access through private with permission.

View attachment 490936

View attachment 490937

View attachment 490938

View attachment 490939

2022View attachment 490940

Love the pics, also like the terrain looks kinda like where I live in the Tricites for say!!! Thank you for the heads up I am really looking forwards to chasing mulies in WA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wa has become a primo destination for predator hunting. The states department of fish and game has been very good about ensuring predator populations for years to come. Please enjoy the bear and cougar hunting especially!

ianpadron

WKR
I learned to hunt mule deer in the high-country of WA state.

I now live and hunt in MT, have hunted ID 4 of the past 5 seasons, and have spent a bunch of time in WY scouting for future hunts once I draw.

All that to say, there are pockets in WA that rival any basin I've been in, ANYWHERE, both in terms of number and quality of deer. They aren't close to roads, and most of them are a mile or two from the nearest trail...but they definitely exist.

My recommendation would be to hunt the high buck areas, but during modern firearm season. You won't see another hunter (I didn't in 6 years) and will figure out pretty quick that the big boys stay up top for a lot longer than most seem to think. The high hunt is ridiculously fun, and the scenery that time of year in the Cascades is without question the best in the lower 48...but you'll have competition in a lot of spots that are ghost towns come October.

Since you're in the tri-cities, I'd plan on spending every free weekend you've got in the various Cascade Wilderness Areas and connecting the dots. Lot of doom and gloom from guys that grew up during the WA state hey-days, and I'm sure the hunting isn't what it used to be...but holy cow, I can't imagine how good it used to be given how good it still is in the right areas.

Find the nastiest, steepest, deadfall infested trail...hike in a few miles, and climb up a ridge into the alpine...you'll have a lot of fun. And of course, plan on being in the best shape of your life, there are places in the Cascades that make Central Idaho feel like the Great Plains.

ianpadron

WKR
Yes you can. Bear opens in August. That is the one thing hunters should take advantage of in Washington. Tons of bears there.
Agreed.

Best bear hunting on the planet! Couple years back a buddy and I glassed 16 bears in a day around 7k feet in the North Cascades...epic.

If I’m not mistaken there’s a limited entry draw opportunity around the potholes north of you. I never looked into it extensively but it’s probably something to be aware of.
Look into late season Archery.
Guys in Washington are willing to put in an impressive effort on pretty mediocre/sub par deer hunting. If you ever gave those guys a decent population to hunt, they wouldn’t know what to do with themselves.
Look up harvest statistics and try and put yourself in the areas where guys are killing stuff. 10% is 10%, one in ten guys is killing something.

Last edited:
OP
B
The high buck hunt is a good place to start to cut your teeth on hunting mulies here. Get in good shape though because they are wilderness hunts and not easy to say the least.

Buy a bear tag as well, the more of those we can kill the better.

I was thinking about hunting Lake Chelan wilderness for archery season and buying a bear tag as well figured I could get in there prior to the modern season have you ever been up that way? What are your thoughts on hunting archery in that area if you have any?

OP
B
I learned to hunt mule deer in the high-country of WA state.

I now live and hunt in MT, have hunted ID 4 of the past 5 seasons, and have spent a bunch of time in WY scouting for future hunts once I draw.

All that to say, there are pockets in WA that rival any basin I've been in, ANYWHERE, both in terms of number and quality of deer. They aren't close to roads, and most of them are a mile or two from the nearest trail...but they definitely exist.

My recommendation would be to hunt the high buck areas, but during modern firearm season. You won't see another hunter (I didn't in 6 years) and will figure out pretty quick that the big boys stay up top for a lot longer than most seem to think. The high hunt is ridiculously fun, and the scenery that time of year in the Cascades is without question the best in the lower 48...but you'll have competition in a lot of spots that are ghost towns come October.

Since you're in the tri-cities, I'd plan on spending every free weekend you've got in the various Cascade Wilderness Areas and connecting the dots. Lot of doom and gloom from guys that grew up during the WA state hey-days, and I'm sure the hunting isn't what it used to be...but holy cow, I can't imagine how good it used to be given how good it still is in the right areas.

Find the nastiest, steepest, deadfall infested trail...hike in a few miles, and climb up a ridge into the alpine...you'll have a lot of fun. And of course, plan on being in the best shape of your life, there are places in the Cascades that make Central Idaho feel like the Great Plains.

I was actually thinking about hunting the Lake Chelan wilderness area prior to to the high buck obviously with archery equipment and have a bear tag on hand as well. Figured I would try with a bow I I 2023 and then see about getting up in the area during modern. What are your thoughts on hunting archery up there? I haven’t seen much deer around my area at all but really haven’t got high and glassed but plan on doing a lot of that here pretty quick with the new year.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Are you able to bear hunt during archery season as well? I have never bear hunted but looking forward to it very much!
Fall bear opens August 1st and runs through the middle of November. You can hunt bear with rifle, bow, or muzzle loader. We always have our bear tags when we’re hunting elk or deer just in case.

High buck hunts are great! You get to see some amazing country and will generally be in cooler weather, even seeing snow in September.

Personally, I’ve had the most success hunting whitetail from a tree stand, so that might be more up your alley with your experience.

You will come to realize quickly this state has done an extremely poor job of managing predators. We are spending more time out of state at this point, which sucks but it’s reality.

Good luck though man! Enjoy!

ianpadron

WKR
I was actually thinking about hunting the Lake Chelan wilderness area prior to to the high buck obviously with archery equipment and have a bear tag on hand as well. Figured I would try with a bow I I 2023 and then see about getting up in the area during modern. What are your thoughts on hunting archery up there? I haven’t seen much deer around my area at all but really haven’t got high and glassed but plan on doing a lot of that here pretty quick with the new year.

Do it. Figure out water ahead of time.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkNo
Found this dead head not too far from the Tri cities, I was chasing two bucks that made him look small. You don’t need to travel far to find good bucks just have patients and hunt hard to access areas. 6F2FE37A-ECC7-4E13-BF3F-76FF6E4B025E.jpeg

Thanks for the replies… and I was actually looking at that high buck hunt and read that they basically spell it out for you on the locations.. I haven’t picked up a rifle in years mostly bow hunt ! I would imagine the terrain would make it a little harder on the bow hunting side of the house but does sound fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just moved from WA, did the high buck hunt for years. It is a tough hunt, be prepared for the full range of weather. Been snowed on more times than not, stuck in the tent for days with HEAVY rain. Pick up a black bear tag if you do High Buck in the central Cascades, always saw WAY more black bear than mule deer.