Water Filters

Depends on your needs. A pump style Katadyn like you mentioned would be one of my last choices. I’d use it for an individual that needed the ability to pump out of very small water sources, or shallow puddles, etc.

For areas that you can scoop a nalgene or platypus bag into a creek, I really like my Platypus Gravity works. Super fast and so much less effort to do a large volume of water than any of the pump style filters. And the whole system with bags and accessories weighs less than than some of those pumps alone.

For packing even lighter, and knowing I have clear streams to pull from, I don’t mind using Aquamira tablets either. Definitely the lightest option and a good option for emergency backup to have a few in your pack.

I also pack only a gravity style (4L). I have a vario, quit using it years ago. No effort required to hang (buddy has a 10 L) bag. Full fresh bag in minutes. Filters seem to last longer in gravity systems as long as you backflush

Used to think Be Free was the best squeeze until the hydropak one was released, which is even better. I think water filter type depends heavily on hunt type, climate etc, bht for the weight have enjoyed the squeeze type the most.

I’ve used quite a few. The be free is solid. Lately I’ve been using the newer platypus QuickDraw that comes with the threaded end cap. It threads on the clean water side and attaches to smart water bottles and bags with that size cap, and I’m settled on it. You NEED to soak it overnight before first use though and run a few liters through it, otherwise the flow rate is pretty bad. The flow rate is better than the befree once you do that.

Depends on the water sources in the area. I’ve been using the Sawyer squeeze. It’s cheap and doesn’t take up too much space in my pack

The platypus gravity filter is great too. I plan on getting a steripen at some point.

A small aluminum or plastic pan, a gallon ziplock bag, and a pump filter works great for me. Water from almost any seep can be captured with the pan and added to the ziplock. Pump from the ziplock to the container of your choice. Other options may work easier in specific situations but this system works under almost any conditions.

Another Katadyn gravity system fan here. Specifically the BeFree 6L Microfilter. Bigger than I need? Probably, but the larger size seemed to be made from a more durable material and more volume equals fewer trips to water sources (i.e. more time hunting and/or resting, less chance of needing to make a frigid late night or early morning trip down to the creek or lake to top off). They’re pretty easy to clean and maintain too.

Haven’t tried a pump but I’ve seen too many people struggle with them while backpacking. I’m sure they’re great if used correctly.

So next question, areas with limited water sources and or tiny streams of water, how do the bags work? All I've ever have used have been pumps, weight isn't a problem for me, all I care about is the safest drinking water.

I’ve used quite a few. The be free is solid. Lately I’ve been using the newer platypus QuickDraw that comes with the threaded end cap. It threads on the clean water side and attaches to smart water bottles and bags with that size cap, and I’m settled on it. You NEED to soak it overnight before first use though and run a few liters through it, otherwise the flow rate is pretty bad. The flow rate is better than the befree once you do that.
I don't have a lot of experience but the Quick draw worked great for me last year. I believe the same filter can be setup in a gravity feed system at camp and also be used on the run but don't quote me on that.

I usually have two sawyer mini filters with 1 squeeze and 1 syringe. If I know water is going to be limited I bring a gallon gravity filter bag as well. Then I have a cooking source and morning source. Not tapping into my nalgene or smart bottles.

So next question, areas with limited water sources and or tiny streams of water, how do the bags work?
I've had to use my mug to scoop and fill my 4l platypus bags. Trying to scoop from a shallow source is difficult with a bag. Either a mug, cut beer can, plastic jetboil bowl, etc, to scoop helps a lot. If it's a small flowing source, follow it down where you can get bag under it, or dam it up.

So next question, areas with limited water sources and or tiny streams of water, how do the bags work? All I've ever have used have been pumps, weight isn't a problem for me, all I care about is the safest drinking water.
I'll sometimes carry a Cnoc bag (has a zip on one end) for a dirty bag or the bottom half of a smart water bottle to scoop water. Both are relatively small and the cut bottle weighs almost nothing,

Always carry a simple Sawyer squeeze filter with quick disconnect to my hydration bladder drink tube. If there's a possibility that I will spike out a day or two I'll carry a Steripen UL UV purifier as backup. Nice and light setup. Purchased the Katadyn Hiker Pro years ago but never used it due to it's weight/bulk.

Back