Water filtration setups?

OP
BattlebornArcher
I'm sure it depends on how dirty the water is but the river water I was filtering last week it took about 5 min to filter 4L. Really Fast!!
Well awesome seems like I know what system I’m going to run this season now. Thank you!

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Hiker Pro. We usually keep on the move and we're refilling water as we go. There are times where that water is nothing more than a trickle and being able to pump is super handy.

Bdeboer29

FNG
I've always used the Steripen classic and had great luck up until this last season. It wouldn't stay on long enough to sterilize the water even with fresh batteries. I had drops as a back up but never had to use them until that situation and I would recommend against them. I still believe in the steripen and love the ease of use but will be using the newer ultra lite model this upcoming season and switching to tablets as my back up.

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
If you use the Sawyer in a squeeze or gravity setup, make sure you bring the syringe and back flush it often. Makes a huge difference!

Our setup for 8 guys. Shown with a smaller dromedary bag. With the 20L Dromedary it does a days worth of water in a couple hours (we run it overnight and again the morning):

IMG_8671.jpeg

Sounds like a lot of positive sides to the gravity setups. What are some of the top brands? Any of them have good cross compatibility with different houses and hydration bags?

Jhall12

FNG
If the weather isn't going to be an issue I use a Platypus Quick-draw. I used to use a Sawyer Mini but find the Platypus to be easier and it has the added plus of being a bit more freeze tolerant. I've found this article about low temperature water purification helpful: Section Hiker - How to Filter or Purify Water in Freezing Temperatures.
Did you have any issues with flow rate on your Platypus? Took mine to Colorado last year and was disappointed with how long it took to fill a Nalgene or reservoir.

rideold

WKR
Did you have any issues with flow rate on your Platypus? Took mine to Colorado last year and was disappointed with how long it took to fill a Nalgene or reservoir.
No. On par with the Sawyer mini. That said neither of them have terribly high flow rates. If in a group setting a larger gravity filter would be better or everyone have their own filter. I used the Sawyer mini on an overnight with my family and re-filled everyone's water bladder. Took a bit but wasn't un-doable. Wouldn't want to do multi-day trips like that though.

Sawyer mini for me. Use it as both an inline and gravity filter.
It’s hooked up as an inline filter on a 3L bag that sits in the pack and I can fill as I go during the day. (Usually don’t completely fill it as there’s lots of water where we hunt)
Between the filter and the bite valve is a quick connect/disconnect. So when I get back to camp I can hang a full hydration bladder and let it gravity feed into bottles, cook pots etc.

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
Katadyn Base Camp 10L. Easy to fill out of the creek and have a fitting to connect into my bladder. Drops as back-up

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Idk how i feel about squeeze filters anymore after too many issues with the Sawyer Squeeze but the Katadyn BeFree has been working really well for me on some hiking trips this summer. I will even bring it with me for longer trail runs. Also picked up a Steripen Classic, for me as long as the water is moving it does not really freak me out. Plus Steripen includes a "filter" that gets out the big stuff with it but it is not meant for purification purposes. Might just keep both in the pack for this fall. Then always have pills for back up

tdcour

FNG
I use a sawyer mini. I have a dirty bag and clean bag and gravity flow or squeeze water from dirty bag into clean bag. I'll refill the dirty bag and will have 6L of water with me if there isn't a lot of water around or if I want to filter more water at camp later. I put a quick connect on my hose so its a simple pop off the mouth piece, plug in the sawyer and dirty bag and let it go to town.

I backflush every fill for the most part and while the filter does slow down its just something I get used to. Still more convenient than pumping. I also shake the water out before putting it in a ziploc bag. Ziploc goes in the bottom of my sleeping bag at night so it doesn't freeze.