Water heater installation cost in mtn west

IDVortex

WKR
No way I'd get a permit to replace a water heater.

How would anyone know you even had a replacement if you didn't tell them?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I'll play advocate. 😂

If the home is inspected, the water heater is looked at and looked for the date. That's a way they would know.

OP, I presume code would to make the water heater has a catch pan under it, maybe off the floor and primarily strapped to the wall. Even if it's gas, a water heater swap can be done in a short few hours for a novice.

Depending on area, brand, how busy a plumber is. I've paid for hot water heaters which included the heater anywhere between 2000-3500.

Oh, you can pull the permit easily, and the inspection would be done. So down the line when you sale, you won't have any issues.

The buyers home inspector will check the DOM for the water heater and note if the system appears to be missing obvious newer requirements (expansion tank, strapping, etc.). It’s pretty easy to get the seller to cover their ass on a DIY job to get it fixed so he’d end up paying for it anyway.

A good DIY install wouldn’t really raise any flags but I bet a home insurance company wouldn’t want to pay up on an “illegal” install that leaks down the road.

I did mine with the help of a buddy who had some flux, a torch, and a dolly.

It never occurred to me that we might need a permit?

Yoder

WKR
I would do it myself and there's no way I would get a permit. I could care less what the code or law is. Just put the new one in exactly like the old one. If it's electric it's no big deal. Gas could be tricky.

always make sure you have a plumber, a carpenter and an electrician in your "friend" circle. always. if i were you, just look for a handyman in your area. they will get it done at a lot less cost than the "pro" and you will never see any difference...and they can pull a permit just as well. thats why they exist!
Most places a person without a license can't pull a permit for a licensed trade...

MattB

WKR
I'll play advocate. 😂

If the home is inspected, the water heater is looked at and looked for the date. That's a way they would know.
Do home inspectors do a search for all permits pulled for a given property to compare against improvements they identify during their inspection?

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
The buyers home inspector will check the DOM for the water heater and note if the system appears to be missing obvious newer requirements (expansion tank, strapping, etc.). It’s pretty easy to get the seller to cover their ass on a DIY job to get it fixed so he’d end up paying for it anyway.

A good DIY install wouldn’t really raise any flags but I bet a home insurance company wouldn’t want to pay up on an “illegal” install that leaks down the road.
Most home inspectors are pants on head retarded. Some are borderline scam. - source - I build homes

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Go buy a water heater and call me. In 30 minutes I will talk you through it. I have changed 10 of them and I am not a plummer. All this talk of crap in your lines etc. is nonsense. Make sure the vent/gas line/water hookups look like the old one and done. The hardest part is hauling the heavy old one out.
☝️ be more like this guy

grfox92

WKR
What do you guys see for water heater installation cost in the mountain west?

I'm in Utah and was just quoted $1600 for labor. That seems crazy

I'm sure I could do it myself but don't know the codes, live in a city, would have to pull permit from city, and plan to sell in a couple years. So I figure I should probably have it professionally done.
I didn't read everything, but gas or electric? If electric, watch youtube, buy a pex crimper or rent one from Ace Hardware and have at it. There isn't much you can screw up if you are mediocrely handy. No venting, a cheap electrical sniffer will tell you power is off, wire is color coded, crimping pex is so easy a kid could do it.

7 years ago, i removed a gas water heater, and installed an electric including running wires and installing a new breaker in my panel, 100% from you tube.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
Most home inspectors are pants on head retarded. Some are borderline scam. - source - I build homes
When I sold my house in NY the guy that did the home inspection said that the hot water heater was improperly installed because I ran PEX into the heater. I then pointed out that it was an electric water heater and that only applies to gas water heaters, he went out and looked at the hot water heater again and said, "Oh yea, your right!"

There were several other things in his report that were 100% incorrect I just can't remember what they were.

So are most plumbers, but if you’re trying to sell a home without drama ya gotta play by the dumb rules. I’d have a completely different recommendation for a person in their retirement home.

OP
H
Wow thats crazy. They installed an expansion tank too and our new one is a 9 year 40 gallon. How big is your home and what size tank did they quote you?

It's a 40gal. Home is a little over 2000sqft including finished basement. Quoted 40gal 6 year

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

The worry is we're going to sell in 2 years. Living in the city there's a lot more code for it that I'm not familiar with. The inspector when we sell would probably notice my work if it's not right.

I would do it myself and there's no way I would get a permit. I could care less what the code or law is. Just put the new one in exactly like the old one. If it's electric it's no big deal. Gas could be tricky.
See above

Most places a person without a license can't pull a permit for a licensed trade...
Sandy Utah has some exceptions where the home owner can do the work but is supposed to get a permit

I didn't read everything, but gas or electric? If electric, watch youtube, buy a pex crimper or rent one from Ace Hardware and have at it. There isn't much you can screw up if you are mediocrely handy. No venting, a cheap electrical sniffer will tell you power is off, wire is color coded, crimping pex is so easy a kid could do it.

7 years ago, i removed a gas water heater, and installed an electric including running wires and installing a new breaker in my panel, 100% from you tube.

Gas. I've got a PEX crimper.

To answer some other questions, I'm pretty handy in general. I grew up helping my dad with his many rental properties and he always did things correctly and tried to teach me how when I would pay attention.

I've already done quite a bit of work to the house and one project I should have gotten a permit for but didn't. Rerouted the 220 from the stove to the garage for an upstairs clothes dryer, extended the gas line from the furnace to the kitchen and put in a gas stove. Ran more 220 and put in an electric oven in the basement. Completely gutted two bathrooms including shower. Put in new tiled showers. One bathroom didn't have a shitter or shower and put both of those in. Did all the plumbing for those.

One of the guys that gave me a quote said that the sharkbite quick connects aren't to code and insurance wouldn't cover anything where those were used. I don't know if I believe that, but I did use them in a few places.

It's highly likely I'll call the city inspector to see if they can provide me some information on the code or give me a copy and do it myself. It's already not to code from the folks living here previously.

2k here front range CO. Parts were close to 1k and 3 guys 1k in labor. Replaced 16yo unit that was not easy to pull out. Took them about 3 hours total. I could have probably done it but might take me all day. Sometimes time and money is a break even.

OP
H
2k here front range CO. Parts were close to 1k and 3 guys 1k in labor. Replaced 16yo unit that was not easy to pull out. Took them about 3 hours total. I could have probably done it but might take me all day. Sometimes time and money is a break even.

True. My wife tells me the same thing. After paying for a roof and new water main in the last 3 years and stupid high medical bills.... I'm looking to save some money