water line question

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I wouldn't bother. With 3 ft. of fall to the pond the rain water is going to flow there anyhow. I say this without having actual visual of your property.

Jethro

WKR
Do not use s40 PVC pipe for this. Way to expensive. S&D pipe is what you want or SDR35 if you want to run sticks (10', 13' or 14' depending on brand by you). Or run a continuous coil of 4" corrugated ADS pipe. Either will have transition fittings and adapters to go to the downspout.
Excellent point on price. 4" solid corrugated better choice than PVC. With foot of dirt on top, still good to drive over and not worry about crush.

For the isntall, rent a self-propelled trencher. It will make the isntall easier/cleaner. Like others have said, SDR would work just fine and will be much cheaper than PVC. I imagine 4" would would but 6" would be safe.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    690.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 18

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Corrugated pipe is certainly cheaper but it is a nightmare for maintenance. My advice is still schedule 40 PVC.

OP
three5x5s

three5x5s

WKR
Thanks guys.. Lots of info, I need to study up on all the verity of pipe. Not sure what kind of pipe these are, PIP ? SDR ? S&D ?
As for the digging I have a friend with a small track hoe, he will be digging the new pond line and another across my gravel driveway to replace the drain line from my metal building. I used the thin black flexible pipe and its has collapsed.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks guys.. Lots of info, I need to study up on all the verity of pipe. Not sure what kind of pipe these are, PIP ? SDR ? S&D ?
As for the digging I have a friend with a small track hoe, he will be digging the new pond line and another across my gravel driveway to replace the drain line from my metal building. I used the thin black flexible pipe and its has collapsed.
SDR or Schedule 40 PVC are booth acceptable, SDR has a gasketed joint vs schedule 40 with is cemented together with PVC cement. In my experience the glue joints will be easier for you to handle. Buy clear primer and cement. If you want more information PM me with your phone number.

Titan

WKR

PIP is plastic irrigation pipe. commonly used for main lines in farming. 4" around here is running about $2 per foot. 3" is less than $1.50. 40 foot sticks with gasket ends. You just lay it out, push them together and drop it in.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
PIP is plastic irrigation pipe. commonly used for main lines in farming. 4" around here is running about $2 per foot. 3" is less than $1.50. 40 foot sticks with gasket ends. You just lay it out, push them together and drop it in.
Never heard of that pipe before. Do they have drainage fittings available?

OP
three5x5s

three5x5s

WKR
You must have money burning a hole in your pocket......
? No its a small small pond, It gravity feeds a 2 hole freeze less cattle waterer. If it gets to low in the winter it could freeze causing a busted line. And then were looking for another source to water the cows. Already having the trachoe there replacing the collapsed drain line under driveway.

? No its a small small pond, It gravity feeds a 2 hole freeze less cattle waterer. If it gets to low in the winter it could freeze causing a busted line. And then were looking for another source to water the cows. Already having the trachoe there replacing the collapsed drain line under driveway.
150' of garden hose is gonna be a hell of a lot cheaper than any underground system.

Since you have a long run, I would add sweeps that reach the surface for cleanouts incase you get debre and clogs. that way you can access point to flush out or rooter the line. But keep in mind that the debre will likely end up in the pond.

OP
three5x5s

three5x5s

WKR
150' of garden hose is gonna be a hell of a lot cheaper than any underground system.
You think a garden hose is going to take the water from 35 ft x 20 ft roof ? You going to pick that garden hose up every time you mow the back yard ? But ,You are right...150' of garden hose is gonna be a hell of a lot cheaper than any underground system. Just not a solution.

You think a garden hose is going to take the water from 35 ft x 20 ft roof ? You going to pick that garden hose up every time you mow the back yard ? But ,You are right...150' of garden hose is gonna be a hell of a lot cheaper than any underground system. Just not a solution.
No, I'm saying that it's not worth the money to move the water from your roof through a pipe, down to the pond. Unless it's ponding next to your house and causing foundation problems?

OP
three5x5s

three5x5s

WKR
Thanks for your help Mr. Hoey. And yes I'm trying to kill 2 stones with 1 throw. Water is pounding at the down spout. I have a back deck that has 1 step up to it on all 3 sides. I dont want to put the 4 inch drain line on top of the ground as its in the way of steping up to the deck.

parshal

WKR
I've done this twice. Not to a pond but to drain a downspout a long way from the house. In the areas where I wouldn't be driving over with the tractor I used simple corrugated pipe. It was about 4" under the ground and never froze. For the areas I drive over with a tractor I used the green sewer pipe the first time and triple wall solid pipe the second time. The triple wall stuff ain't cheap but I had two or three 10' pieces so just used them. I think mine is 4". I even had 18 wheelers drive over the green pipe without any issues. It was 12-18" below ground.

Folks are right, the corrugated stuff is a nightmare to replace if it gets crushed. No need to get too expensive unless your tractor is going to run over the entire run.

I put 190' of 6" drain pipe with multiple connections to drains at the old place to drain the driveway. I thought it might be too small with four branches coming to a single 6" pipe but handled deluges just fine.