Waterproof Cold Weather Hunting Gloves

SBAHunts

FNG
Appreciate some help filtering through all the advertising. Montana Late season Elk hunting, expecting snow & cold - what is the best glove in your opinion?

Thanks in advance

+1 on looking into ski gloves or also looking at gloves not marketed to the hunting crowd. I like Outdoor Research and have used them for many years skiing and recently hunting.

Is there a reason you are looking at waterproof? In my experience that is a limiting feature that normally isn't needed unless the snow is melting and you expect to be active (hot hands). If temps are solidly in the freezing realm I never needed waterproof gloves when skiing. It is seldom below 20 where I hunt.

I do have a thinner pair of waterproof OR gloves for when there is light snow and temps are hovering around freezing and I expect to be pushing through thicker cover in West side Cascades.

Another thing to keep in mind is fit. Most people think that for it to "fit like a glove" that it needs to be snug or form fitting. That is the farthest thing from the truth for cold weather gloves. I always get a size larger than you would think so that I have room to move my hand within the glove. You need that for two reasons; first, so that you have some space inside the glove so that the air can be warmed up, and second, so that the glove does not restrict your circulation, which will cut down on the distribution of warm blood within your hand.

A mitten shell over the top of medium to heavy weight fleece/wool gloves. I have some leather chopper mitts and Marmot Precip Shell mitts. They are worn over windproof fleece or full finger wool gloves. They are the warmest handwear I have ever found.

Jeremy

I used the Kuiu Yukon gloves this past year in Kodiak. Snow and temps in the low 20s in the morning. My hands would sweat and soak the gloves by the time I reached the mountain tops but they were bullet proof and waterproof.

Back