Waterproof socks

JustCarr

FNG
What is everyone using for water proof socks?

When I was in the army we had goretex socks but I can't remember who made them. I started looking online and found that rocky makes a goretex sock and that the online military kit shop had Hanz waterproof socks. The socks we had in the military worked nice for when your boots got wet and you changed into dry regular socks you just put the goretex sock over the top of your regular socks and into your boot and you were good to. But I have never heard of the Hanz type waterproof sock, they seem to be more of a waterproof base layer sock (like nothing underneath) than an over sock like the military ones and the rocky ones seem like.

What are everyone's thoughts?

I know a lot of people get blisters with water proof socks but I never have so please refrain from the "NEVER WEAR WATERPROOF SOCKS OR YOU'LL REGRET IT!!" type comments.

Thanks

carter33

WKR
Sealskinz makes waterproof socks. Not sure if they are technically Gore-Tex but they have worked well in my experience. My feet are typically damp after wearing them either from the socks wetting through or possibly from my feet sweating. I do have sweaty/hot feet. However they are much better than wearing a soaking wet boot that has just been submerged, which is typically when I throw them on. I wear them with no layer underneath and though they are bulky they have worked well and I have hiked miles and also some good elevation without blisters. I also like wearing em under wading boots/waders when float hunting or fishing.

Rocky made the ones i wore in the army back in the 90s. I replaced them with seal skins and still have a pair of those.

They aren’t bad for low mileage work but I have found it is pretty easy to wear holes in them with a few miles of walking. I will say, I haven’t used mine much in the last few years. They were great for wearing in a patrol base when your boots were wet and you just changed into a fresh pair of socks. However, now I can choose goretex boots and use rain pants or gaiters to keep my boots dry.

wekilldeer

Lil-Rokslider
I've had good luck with sealskinz. I occasionally get that damp feeling also but I think it's mostly sweat from my feet. I dont wear them hunting too often but all the time when I ride my Timbersled snowbike.

OP
JustCarr

JustCarr

FNG
Are you wearing them instead of or addition to waterproof boots?
I would only wear them if the boots get wet. Change into dry socks and put the waterproof socks on and put them into the wet boots. I have Asolo Boots (can't remember the model) which have goretex in them.

OP
JustCarr

JustCarr

FNG
I've had good luck with sealskinz. I occasionally get that damp feeling also but I think it's mostly sweat from my feet. I dont wear them hunting too often but all the time when I ride my Timbersled snowbike.
Do you where regular socks underneath the sealskinz?