Waterproofing older rain gear and outerwear

bard

Lil-Rokslider
I got older Kuiu gear. Guide jacket, attack pants, and Chugach rain coat and pants. I have never treated them with any water proofing sprays or washes in the past. Just wondering if its worth the time and if so what works for others.

I also use the NIKWAX tech wash and the TX direct for my outerwear at the start of every season. I think I have been doing this for 6-7 years now. So far it has been working well.

Wrench

WKR
If the membrane is compromised, it's done. If it's just dirty, washing will help and retreating with dwr spray will add some shedding abilities. I choose revivex by gear aid based on the reviews I found and it worked as expected.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have had some old Gander Mountain rain gear stashed in my friends boat for years, went fishing last fall and was like oh no, total wash out for two days and figured I would be drenched.

Bone dry fishing all day in steady rain to down pour.

I have used nikwax on my other rain gear and it works well.

The 2 part NIKWAX works well when you follow the directions, they also have a spray version of the TX Direct.

I have an original kuiu chugach (has to be 10yrs old) and I still wear it winter steelhead fishing when fishing mobile, the membrane is compromised and has some small holes from rubbing, but I scotch guard it heavily and it works pretty well for the purpose, when water quits beading, I treat it again… I would not consider it suitable for anything stationary in the rain, but it sheds water pretty well if I’m moving

I am finally retiring it because I have a kutana jacket that’s in decent condition, and I will do the same thing to it

I would wear it hunting mobile in bad weather, but wouldn’t use it for stationary hunting in the rain

I have an original kuiu chugach (has to be 10yrs old) and I still wear it winter steelhead fishing when fishing mobile, the membrane is compromised and has some small holes from rubbing, but I scotch guard it heavily and it works pretty well for the purpose, when water quits beading, I treat it again… I would not consider it suitable for anything stationary in the rain, but it sheds water pretty well if I’m moving

I am finally retiring it because I have a kutana jacket that’s in decent condition, and I will do the same thing to it

I would wear it hunting mobile in bad weather, but wouldn’t use it for stationary hunting in the rain

AAAAH PLEASE STOP "refreshing" your rain gear with scotch guard.

scotch guard is literally PFAS...