We all know your spotting scope is worthless without a good tripod

Rockchuck

WKR
I run the Velbon Ultra Maxi M with their lightest panhead backpacking in and a Slik CF614 for more stability in lots of wind or when weight is less critical. Weighs 7 oz more than the Velbon. I have thought about getting rid of one, but I love them both too much!

+1 on the slik sprint pro, have'nt had it in the mountains much but it was the cheapest light weight set up I could find.

dotman

WKR
Well for the price I went ahead and picked up a Rocketfish 47 carbon fiber tripod from Best Buy today, on clearance I paid $48 including tax (org retail was $70). They are now carrying the manfrotto stuff but it must be their cheap line because in a side by side comparison the Rocketfish blew it away in quality at first sight/feel. Not a single plastic component on the Rocketfish in the ball head or main wear areas but the aluminum manfrotto with pan head just felt like crap.

Rocketfish was smooth, solid and built well but only goes up to 47in.

Manfotto (model mkc3-h01, retail $60) was loose, pan head was wiggly and plastic all over but went to 60.6in. Has to be their bottom of the line stuff they are selling.

Weight wise both came in around 2.5lbs so what the heck i'll give the Rocketfish a year to prove me wrong on getting a lower priced tripod.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
^^ i got the same tripod (though i sold it with my old spotter) And for the money i was really impressed in it. It worked very good, and had all the bells and whistles that alot of the higher dollar tripods did.

Juan_ID

WKR
Well for the price I went ahead and picked up a Rocketfish 47 carbon fiber tripod from Best Buy today, on clearance I paid $48 including tax (org retail was $70). They are now carrying the manfrotto stuff but it must be their cheap line because in a side by side comparison the Rocketfish blew it away in quality at first sight/feel. Not a single plastic component on the Rocketfish in the ball head or main wear areas but the aluminum manfrotto with pan head just felt like crap.

Rocketfish was smooth, solid and built well but only goes up to 47in.

Manfotto (model mkc3-h01, retail $60) was loose, pan head was wiggly and plastic all over but went to 60.6in. Has to be their bottom of the line stuff they are selling.

Weight wise both came in around 2.5lbs so what the heck i'll give the Rocketfish a year to prove me wrong on getting a lower priced tripod.

I don't think you will be dissapointed. I have been using the same tripod for the last 2 seasons and it has worked great. No complaints whatsoever, other than the ProMaster pan head I put on it. That thing'll be replaced this season I'm pretty sure! But other than that I love the tripod, and for only 50 bux if it craps out after a few seasons then upgrade! Let us know what you think of it...

dotman

WKR
Will do Juan, why did you replace the stock ball head? It seems like a quality head. Oh and thanks for bring this tripod up, if not for you I would have never looked/considered it or any tripod from best buy lol.

Last edited:

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
For anyone using a Slik have you any idea where to find replacement/spare base plates for a Slik Sprint Pro II/SBH-100DQ head? I have tried numerous places with zero luck.
Thanks.

Juan_ID

WKR
Will do Juan, why did you replace the stock ball head? It seems like a quality head. Oh and thanks for bring this tripod up, if not for you I would have never looked/considered it or any tripod from best buy lol.

To be honest with you I have no idea haha. I had the Promaster here so I swapped it out. I had left the original box at my local pro shop and I think he tossed it a while back while cleaning the shop! :( But it did seem like a sturdy well built head... And that's great, I figured somebody migh not want to/ have the funds to drop 200+ on a tripod and could benefit from it. I know I have and don't regret it one bit...

millsms

FNG
To be honest with you I have no idea haha. I had the Promaster here so I swapped it out. I had left the original box at my local pro shop and I think he tossed it a while back while cleaning the shop! :( But it did seem like a sturdy well built head... And that's great, I figured somebody migh not want to/ have the funds to drop 200+ on a tripod and could benefit from it. I know I have and don't regret it one bit...

I run a BENRO C-058M8 Carbon Tripod which is awesome for stability and weight combo at 2lbs. http://www.amazon.com/Benro-C-058M8-BENRO-Carbon-Tripod/dp/B002CVTUFQ for $165 on Amazon
and i use a Manfrotto 391C2d head which runs like $70 or so i think i got it for.
I used it on two backpack hunts and loved the setup with my Swar 65mm Spotter. Weight was great and very stable. I am very happy with the Benro.

For anyone using a Slik have you any idea where to find replacement/spare base plates for a Slik Sprint Pro II/SBH-100DQ head? I have tried numerous places with zero luck.
Thanks.

As of October, the Slik factory in Thailand that produces these was under nine feet of water. Production has resumed, so we may see some of these items come back in stock soon.

SliK Sprint Mini. I wasn't too happy with the ball head, but now that I have been using it for about a year it has grown on me. Pretty easy to use with a little practice. I am thinking about upgrading the head to a Jim White at some point, but for now what I have couples well with the Swaro 80mm. It's light, it's small and it's practical for backpacking.

R Miller

Lil-Rokslider
I made a post about some ballhead information here. Some of you are coughing up some serious buck for your heads, I think there are better options. Also wouldnt buy a Gitzo tripod just for spotter use, yes they are nice but not necessary, you could save a few bucks. I own a Slik Pro624cf for the spotter and pictures while hunting which comes in at 27.5 oz with the head. Extends to 30in and is 15.5in collapsed (those numbers are with the lower leg extensions remover which can be reinstalled for other applications). For my photography gear I use a Gitzo GT2531 and a Gitzo Monopod...one at a time depending on the situation and terrain. Look into the gear offered by Really Right Stuff, made in the USA and by serious photographers...next to ounce counting hunters you'll find that serious photographers are only slightly more insane regarding the function/specs of their gear.

Good luck finding a setup that works for you.
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?1958-Ball-Head-vs-Pan-Head

Just got back from Costco, they had a carbon fiber tripod with lever lock legs and a pistol grip ballhead for $100.
Here's the specs:
Max height - 65.75"
Min height - 10.5"
Folded length - 26.5" (a little long)
Load capacity - 15.4 lbs.
Weight - 3 lbs.
Leg diameter - .75"
Rubber feet with retractable spikes

R Miller

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from Costco, they had a carbon fiber tripod with lever lock legs and a pistol grip ballhead for $100.
Here's the specs:
Max height - 65.75"
Min height - 10.5"
Folded length - 26.5" (a little long)
Load capacity - 15.4 lbs.
Weight - 3 lbs.
Leg diameter - .75"
Rubber feet with retractable spikes

Hopefully you didnt pull the trigger on that. 3lbs was the first red flag for me, this is where you ask yourself "how much is an ounce (or 10) worth to me in US dollars, lol. If you are backpacking a lot you'll be looking to replace it soon. Good luck

I've got the rocketfish. I use a jim white head on it and love the setup. I've never used the outdoorsman but love that the rf was light and not expensive. Not to mention warranty is good at best buy. i use 15 swaro and swaro 80 spotter on my setup.

bowuntr

WKR
For backpacking I use a Cullmann 220 with a Jim White head and everywhere else I use a Velbon 600R with a Jim White head. Ed F