We just got in the new Slik 632. A 22oz, 2 section tripod!

anshla

FNG
So what do people think? Is this really oriented mostly towards small-medium spotting scopes? Wondering if it would be stable enough for glassing in windy conditions with a larger spotter, say on a dall sheep hunt?

rcook10

WKR
Ordered one to pair with my 7oz small rig head. should be a banger for 18x binos and a light spotter. Will post details once i've used it a bit/

rcook10

WKR
Well she’s here (blistering shipping from s&s). First impressions are that this might be the most banger ultralight glassing set up i’ve seen. Super stiff for how thin it is (one joint life is where its at!). Height adjustments are perfect for seated glassing both on chair height and sitting on floor. Love having a single point of adjustment for fidgiting with height/angles/breakdown. I use a straight spotter and big binos and its perfect. Paired it with a ch10 small rig (perhaps the best 8oz tiny fluid head on the market and at 35$ really hard to beat) and tried my 18x mavens, kowa 774, and zeiss dialyt for a little scouting run for elk. Whole weight on my kitchen scale with head was 1#14oz. Wyoming wind had an appreciable but nothing out of the ordinary effect on vibration and it was certainly better than the vortex high country I brought along to compare. Mini head did great with all the different glass. Only time will tell durability stories but I think they really thought this thing out and it will often be in my pack in the back/side country. I would be very curious to see what this format would weigh in the 700 and 800 line, especially as a shooting tripod. 10/10 would buy again.

Edit: this tripod got some use as a shooting tripod this year for sitting and high grass prone positions using a spartan adaptor. It held up great and was plenty stable with a 10# rifle on board.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Antares

WKR
Just got mine. As advertised, it's light!

Longer than my 635 but 8oz lighter. I'm showing 20.5 oz for the tripod (without adapter plate) and 31.5 oz with an Outdoorsman head. I'm pumped to start using this. Thanks Rob! @S&S Archery (Rob)

IMG_9226.jpeg
IMG_9227.jpeg
IMG_9228.jpeg

VEDO

FNG
Tempting. Just seems too short to do anything but glass while sitting, and pretty long overall length.

Thanks for sharing everyone. Thanks to S&S as well. I called and they gave great advice. Just ordered a CF-632 from S&S for $179.95 to my door.

I'm excited for what it will give me. as my current tripods weigh 3.25 and 1.1lbs with heads. I hate carrying extra weight so I started carrying a 17oz with head tripod from AOKA but it is just a tiny bit short for sitting and not very stable, although very impressive for what it is. I ended up using it as a monopod a lot for my binos and it worked for my spotter. I think this new tripod will hit a sweet spot to give me more stability and height for only 8-9oz weight penalty. Also sounds like I will be able to shoot off it if needed. The AOKA may still find it's way in my pack during archery hunts.

My Slik CF-632 showed up in just a couple days and I am very impressed. It was "Rok" steady with a 8.5lb rifle on it and its very easy to use. I threw the head on it from my Aoka(Same as Oben) and that worked very well but I did feel like the head is a little undergunned since the tripod is just so good and steady. S&S told me this would be the most steady option for what I was considering and they are definitely right because I can't imagine it being any more steady, I'm seriously blown away, it is much more steady than some much heavier tripods. If anyone is looking for a tripod for seated glassing and shooting I will always recommend it. I considered the Aziak head but decided that saving 1oz for $48 doesn't make any sense so I ordered the Smallrig one for $27.