Weather Fighting, Wind Resistant, High Altitude, Butane Lighter of Choice?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Weather Fighting, Wind Resistant, High Altitude,, Butane Lighter:
I've use a few different ones over the years, curious as to what others are using. I rarely go much over 7,000 feet in Alaska, and despite the manufacturing warnings on not working over 5,000ft, my Soto Pocket Torch worked OK. Just curious what others are using and why. Focus is primarily on lighting a stove, understand many other simple cheap options exist for emergency fire starting scenarios.

oldgoat

WKR
All you need is the sparker for cook stoves so a cheap Bic doesn't actually have to light, just spark and I carry some kind of trioxane tablet or similar for lighting a fire in the wood stove and all you need is a spark for them too, but I haven't had issues with lighting bics either at camp at 10.5K!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've got one of those expensive "wind proof", "light anywhere", butane lighters that is a piece of junk and won't light 90% of the time. So I use cheap Bics, which always seem to work even at 12k feet.

I carry a mini bic and a UST floating lighter that is the best butane torch type I have found

I've tried some semi expensive ones (up to $40) and never found anything as reliable as a Scripto/Bic. I'd blow $200 on a real torch of a lighter but so far haven't found one yet.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk