Webbing types and hardware

brownbear

FNG
I'm looking to purchase some webbing to have for attaching various pockets, bags, etc. to my Duplex frame.

Upon my searching, I see there are many types of webbing available:

For a Kifaru pack, should I be looking at 1" nylon webbing? (as opposed to polyester, or polypro)

Could one direct me as to which type of webbing would be most consistent with the Kifaru products? I see there are different grades of webbing (I.e. Nylon Type 2 vs. Type 3); without being able to physically compare with what I already have on the pack, I'm unsure of what to use. I'm thinking compression straps/ attachment of pockets and the like.

Is there any type of strap hardware that has proved especially beneficial for those to "rig" their packs? I purchased many of the Kifaru side release buckles, and have a small assortment of other sliders, etc from the hiking store days. I will purchase the K-connector/G clip from Kifaru. The repair kit looks neat, but I feel like I would want "extra of this, and none of that" in regards to the kit components.

Thanks for sharing your experience and wisdom!

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
I'm bumping this thread because I have the same question. What is the Kifaru 1" webbing on my DT1? It seems like great stuff and I want some to make a bow sling.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

aion2come

WKR
Go to rockywoods and get their mil spec webbing. They also have pretty ample supply of mil spec buckles too. Milspecmonkey is another great place. Finally jontay has lots of milspec stuff. Hope that helps. It is either exactly the same as what Kifaru uses or so close it is hard to tell the difference.

I bought some webbing from rockywoods that they had labeled as milspec I believe it was 55301, and I suppose it is milspec but I found that it has a softer feel and slips through buckles easier. 17337 is what I think of as "milspec" and is the closest, if not the same, that kifaru uses. I bought some from ebay, I think the seller was northwest supply, good price and fast shipping.

There is a good webpage on milspecmonkey website that breaksdown the different types of webbing.*

As far as hardware, its hard to beat the price and function of duraflex side release buckles and split tail female buckles. Kifarus K-clips, not k-connectors, are a really great design. All you need is a webbing loop or pals webbing and you have a connection point. G-hooks are nice to have around and are similar in function to the k-clip and they have a ladder lock built in, but they are prone to slippage.

Exo mountain gear has some different 1 inch g-hook that has a better ladderloc design. I believe they will sell them seperately if you call them.

I also like the 1 inch oval metal triglides and 1 inch looplocs. Pretty handy for diy stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

aion2come

WKR
I believe rockywoods has both the 55301 and the 17337. But yes, you do want the 17337. Also, their Nexus buckles are the same thing Kifaru uses.

Which type slides and works the best? Does anyone lube the straps? I have a kifaru bikini frame and it takes a lot effort to cinch the small adjustment straps

skindaddy

Lil-Rokslider
you dont seem to find much camo webbing in the w17337?
i see a bunch of the 55301.
i see the w17337 is the one recommended but what is the diff in the 2?
it also makes you wonder what your really getting too the price diff in some offered is drastic! i've seen rolls for the price of a couple yds, and viseversa. either they tell yo what you want or wonder if they print a label that says w17337

AGPank

WKR
Maybe the DIY would benefit from a sticky thread for sourcing materials. I think ICW makes the buckles compatible with Kifaru. Kuiu has a nice bucke but I was only able to source them through Kuiu.

FatBuddah

WKR
So does anyone know where to source the actual Kifaru webbing to color match the stuff they use?