Weed eater string to increase arrow weight

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
Outdoor life article says put 3 strands in full length to add weight.

personally I’d rather get some heavier inserts or new arrows

OP
M

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
I have no intention of doing this. Seems a little odd with all the heavy arrow options we have now

Threaded rod glued behind the insert works great I was doing it behind the deep six inserts before there were any other options

cocky84

WKR
Took core out of paracord and put weedeater string inside paracord.
However i took them out and went with heavier inserts. Adds total weight while increasing foc.

Adding weight to the front of the arrow you need to increase the spine. Lots of spine options out there now, ten years ago it was a different story.

This is also a way for someone to increase arrow weight without changing arrows.

eltaco

WKR
I can’t seem to access the link, but this almost certainly guarantees an arrow that doesn’t spin true and has BH flight issues.

cocky84

WKR
If your adding weight up front and need to stiffen spine, you can cut a little off the length assuming your arrows are long enough. Doesn’t take much cutting at all.

i loved the idea of the weedeater string. I had all my arrows perfectly tuned but was only around a 420grn arrow. Figured this would be a perfect way to add total weight and not have to retune anything. It made my arrows fly like absolute shit.
Took em out and started over and im very happy i did. Im around 580grn now flying straight. Hopefully it works out better for you cause its a super easy way to add weight, but it sure didn’t for me.

deep_al

FNG
I think this still a valid option for testing out different arrow weights. I used this trick earlier this spring with a cheap set of Cabela's pre-fletched arrows to get an idea about what I was looking for in an arrow before I ordered bare shafts to build with. I probably wouldn't hunt with arrows like this, but I wouldn't discount it either.

Zac

WKR
You are young or haven't faced the struggle of rural archery tinkering then.
Really? You don't think the old aluminum shafts were heavy enough? Can't imagine having to try to paper tune with string bouncing around in the shaft.

Really? You don't think the old aluminum shafts were heavy enough? Can't imagine having to try to paper tune with string bouncing around in the shaft.

That wasn't the issue. Speed was the fashion back then, hence overdraws and 80-90# bows. It isn't hard to make it stay in place. This wasn't target archery or the trend of shooting 70+ yards and needing laser precision. Paper plate groups at 40 was winning 3D tournaments out here back in the day. Different times.

Reactions: Zac