Weekend California Hog Hunt

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
You have to have a tag ? For each pig or the season ? For pigs on private land in Florida you don't even need a hunting license and the basic license and maybe a wma stamp for some areas is all you need for public land.

Yep Ca has made them a game animal lol. Gotta make some money :)

You have to have a tag ? For each pig or the season ? For pigs on private land in Florida you don't even need a hunting license and the basic license and maybe a wma stamp for some areas is all you need for public land.

1 tag for each damn pig! Private land, public land, makes no difference. I remember when you could get 5 pig tags for $8, now it $20+ each.

Beastmode

WKR
I refuse to buy pig tags. They are not native to the state and not a single fish and game employee in this state has proven to me that money collected from pig tags has gone to improving pig habitat. Thats where the money is supposed to go.

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
not a single fish and game employee in this state has proven to me that money collected from pig tags has gone to improving pig habitat. Thats where the money is supposed to go.

Good point!!

I refuse to buy pig tags. They are not native to the state and not a single fish and game employee in this state has proven to me that money collected from pig tags has gone to improving pig habitat. Thats where the money is supposed to go.

Has anyone seen CA F&G do habitat improvement for any big game species? I sure haven't.

They are not going to ever do anything to improve habitat for pigs. They have spent years telling people they are a nuisance and they need to be eradicated. Doing habitat improvement for something classified as an invasive species is a pipe dream. And in true california style they talk out of both side so their mouth. Oh we want this species gone but your gonna have to pay threw you nose to do it.
I always buy a pig tag because where I hunt turkey's I've seen a lot of sign and a few pigs. I almost choked when i saw 20 for 1 pig. It wasn't even 3 years ago when you got 5 for the same price.
What I refuse to do is pay landowners for access now that used to call me and beg me to come kill pigs to keep them out of their crops. The farmers realize now they can make more off pig hunters then their actual crops.

Beastmode

WKR
They are not going to ever do anything to improve habitat for pigs. They have spent years telling people they are a nuisance and they need to be eradicated. Doing habitat improvement for something classified as an invasive species is a pipe dream. And in true california style they talk out of both side so their mouth. Oh we want this species gone but your gonna have to pay threw you nose to do it.
I always buy a pig tag because where I hunt turkey's I've seen a lot of sign and a few pigs. I almost choked when i saw 20 for 1 pig. It wasn't even 3 years ago when you got 5 for the same price.
What I refuse to do is pay landowners for access now that used to call me and beg me to come kill pigs to keep them out of their crops. The farmers realize now they can make more off pig hunters then their actual crops.

I understand they will never do anything to improve habitat. I am not going to pay the state money for something they think is a pest. Whats next ground squirrel tags?

SDHNTR

WKR
I got to fly over to hunt Santa Cruz island several years ago, before they eradicated the hogs. I drew the hunt in a lottery and the pig tag revenue covered it all, even the flight over. Had a blast and my partner and I shot 5-6 pigs. But I hear what you are saying, the system is broken on so many levels.

desertcj

WKR
I got to fly over to hunt Santa Cruz island several years ago, before they eradicated the hogs. I drew the hunt in a lottery and the pig tag revenue covered it all, even the flight over. Had a blast and my partner and I shot 5-6 pigs. But I hear what you are saying, the system is broken on so many levels.

That must have been awesome! I remember when we would go fishing out there years ago and the island was crawling with Merino sheep as well! Seems like the govt always finds a way to screw up anything cool....

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
That must have been awesome! I remember when we would go fishing out there years ago and the island was crawling with Merino sheep as well! Seems like the govt always finds a way to screw up anything cool....

My friends daughter is married to the guy whose job it was to eradicate the sheep. They basically spend their honeymoon sheep hunting and eating fresh lobster. Newlyweds alone on an island for weeks in paradise..... Lucky SOB... She was a former swimsuit model too. Some guys have all the luck.