Weekend California Hog Hunt

Craig4791

WKR
Took this sow on Friday night. My dad came down from Washington for this hunt and I wanted him to be the first of us to take a hog. We were doing some glassing about 45 min before dark and we wandered apart. I hopped up on a big rock and gazed into a nasty canyon to see a few hogs feeding about 1000 feet below me on a finger. I tried to find my old man but he was out of reach and time was ticking so I went after them. After dropping down to the hogs as fast as I could I made it just in time to get a shot before daylight ran out. I had to climb back up and get my dad and my pack. We cut her up and I packed her out in one trip in the DT1. Made for a long night. We got on a few other groups of hogs for my dad but the terrain and the time before dark limited him.

Overall a good time hunting with my father.

DSC00122.jpgDSC00117.jpgDSC00151.jpgDSC00115.jpg

AitchAr

FNG
Man, that's awesome. Sounds like it was a great time for you and your dad. Thanks for sharing.

What's your estimate on the amount of meat you got off her?

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
Man, that's awesome. Sounds like it was a great time for you and your dad. Thanks for sharing.

What's your estimate on the amount of meat you got off her?

I haven't weighed the meat yet but im guessing 70lbs or so. Looking forward to eating her up!

SDHNTR

WKR
Non resident Lic is $160 and tag is $73

But that's not the expensive part. 95%+ of the pigs in CA are killed on private land. You pretty much have to pay for a guided hunt or at least access if you want a reasonable chance at success. Plan on $500 or more depending on options.

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
Well then you were one of the few successful hunters. Congrats. I wasn't there but heard the success numbers and they sucked. I'll be there this weekend. Hoping for better.

Yeah I noticed that. There were a lot of ppl there to! Way more than when I went last year.

boom

WKR
That's a big sow. Congrats.
That's a dream hunt for me. Hit the Sonoma wine country and take my bow to hunt a few days.

near sonoma, it's a whole other level. there is public land. i hunt it often, but i have only gotten fish shakes at running hogs..they are super smart. like big whitetails. private is about $600ish.

get over here next winter!

voidecho

Lil-Rokslider
near sonoma, it's a whole other level. there is public land. i hunt it often, but i have only gotten fish shakes at running hogs..they are super smart. like big whitetails. private is about $600ish.

get over here next winter!

1st Choice is $450 guided and $300 semi guided in sonoma cnty.

Shrek

WKR
Non resident Lic is $160 and tag is $73

You have to have a tag ? For each pig or the season ? For pigs on private land in Florida you don't even need a hunting license and the basic license and maybe a wma stamp for some areas is all you need for public land.