Weight Loss For Hunting in 2024

I can definitely see why people feel that way. I can only make it 6 weeks before I am dying for something other than meat, eggs or cheese. I think it is more of a mental thing and I enjoy the mental challenge just as much as the physical one.

The benefits I get when I am on carnivore are crazy. I have bad excema that goes away completely after week 2 or so. I have sustained energy, focus, and mental clarity throughout the day. My entire body works better when I am on it. I understand it's not for everyone, but I enjoy the reset I get from it to start the year off.

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
Skip dinner every day for 2 weeks (and don’t make up for it at breakfast and lunch). You’ll lose 15 pounds instantly.

Haro450

FNG
I have been on a weight loss journey since April of last year. Currently down 80+/- lbs since then. My goal is to lose another 30 plus lbs. Mainly just sticking to a carnivore diet. The carnivore diet works for me and at this point I don't see why I would go off it. The main thing for me is finding something that I can sustain for ever. I have lost and gained weight several times. So keeping the weight off for me is the goal. I have a busy schedule with a 8 year old and a 9 month old. But as the 9 month old gets older should be able to start some weight lifting and circuit training. Good luck to you all in getting slimmer and healthier in the new year!!!

taskswap

WKR
I made a similar commitment a year ago. I probably went a little too hard on the weight loss, I dropped from 199 at the worst down to 171. I can't even tell you how helpful that was for hunting. It's like three benefits all at once - you're fitter to begin with, you're effectively "carrying" (on you) 30lbs less of pack weight, and since you're eating better to do all this you have more energy.

My favorite hunting area has a long, 3mi/2000' climb to enter it from the nearest parking area, and I always used to count how many "dad breaks" I needed (30 second stops just to catch my breath) to get up that hill. I used to be proud if I needed 15 or so instead of 20-30.

Last year I needed NONE. The difference was night and day.

This year I struggled. After the holidays I found I had worked my way back up to 187, not good. So my new resolution is the same as the old. Why not, it was a good enough improvement the first time. :) But this time I hope to keep it off next holiday. I always eat and drink more but there are some things that I know I like that still feel like a party but don't put nearly the spare-tire on your gut:

- Shrimp
- Pickles (Spicy or something like that)
- Werther's Sugar Free if I need a dopamine boost
- Unreal Coconut Squares (70 cals but if you nibble they have a ton of flavor and last a minute or so)
- Carrots with dressing (but this time actually 1 serving of dressing, LOL)
- Coke Zero - I know soda is bad for a ton of other reasons but it's better than a beer which would be the next thing I'd reach for

Beware the salty foods. Lots of things you'd think are lower-cal have high sodium (probably to make them still taste good). I reached for a Nong Shim ramen bowl the other day thinking soup would be better than the hot dog I knew I really wanted. But with 1200mg of sodium and 430 cals it actually was much worse.

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I know this will sound like " no shit sherlock " but I stopped worrying about weight and started putting goals in front of me. What got me to those goals was less about the activities / workouts and was putting down the beer can and picking up water. Then I started to notice a huge difference. My mental health, work performance, and general energy levels increased. Lost a few friends as I stopped showing up to the bars chasing the sorta tail that only cost me.

Mike 338

WKR
Losing weight is the easiest thing you'll ever do. Costs no money and requires no effort. The concept that it's "hard" to not stick something in your own mouth may be the ultimate in a lack of self control. If toddlers can have the self control to hold it till they get to the bathroom, an adult should be able to control what goes in their mouth.

You don't need a dietician, a gym membership or a cheerleading squad. All you need to know, you already have between your ears. Just eat less and stop making dumb food/drink choices and in 2 years, you will have successfully corrected decades of self abuse. Or not... maybe it's just "to hard".

See you on the mountain - in 20 years.

TaperPin

WKR
Weight loss is different for everyone - what works for a lot of people doesn’t interest me in the least. I can spend an hour a day at the gym and I’m ready to go eat a whole pizza for lunch and a big steak at Outback for dinner - gym time doesn’t impact my appetite.

At least for me three things work: clean eating, a good scale, walking.

“clean eating” by not eating pre processed foods - lean meat, real vegetables, real fruit, and nothing out of a restaurant.

Walking 5 miles every day calms my appetite - without it I’m hungry all day. Running is in my past, but just an hour and a half of normal walking works for me.

A really good scale that reads accurately to an ounce or two allows charting weight in a way that’s meaningful. Loosing 1/8 lb a day doesn’t mean anything to me unless I see it. A simple weekly chart with one measurement a day showing a downward trend motivates me. I post it on the fridge. Some years it’s easier than others - it doesn’t surprise me if 1/2 lb a day for a week comes off, but as long as the trend is downward I’m happy.

Just keep trying different things to find out what works for you. A good scale doesn't lie.

edit: A scale that seems to work well for cheap is this old school freight scale. Adding a magnifier so it’s easier to read between the 1lb lines helps and it‘s easy to guess to the nearest 1/8 lb and you do have to read it upside down, but it’s better than the vast majority of scales sold for home use. These sell for under $100 used.90AAFA21-6576-4188-BA1A-CCC517DC6658.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m playing the mental game until the end of March this year with a cutting phase. Haven’t dialed in the diet from burning an average of 6000 calories a day June-November and going down to about 3000 a day November-June. No big deal for me as the scale always shows lighter once the daylight comes back.

I don’t have a weight lifting workout goal besides getting 7 miles in a day and lifting weights 5 days a week.

Biggest goal I have the next 3 months is eating what I have in my pantry and freezer for dinner and only picking up vegetables and fruits from the grocery store. According to my calculations, the only thing I have to aquire when I’m not away for work this month will be eggs.

Another one for me when it’s not a field day is go on walks on lunch breaks and a mile before work. If I have to talk on my phone for more than 10 minutes during work I usually take a stroll. 20 Push-ups, lunges, squats on the hour.

Last edited:

S.Clancy

WKR
There are no magic diets, magic workouts, magic supplements (unless you are using "special sports supplements" ie anabolics).

There are a couple rules that apply:

1) Eat protein, 0.6 - 1 gram per lb of bodyweight, depending on age (you need more as you age), activity level (harder training, more protein) and whether you are trying to gain mass or lose it. Eating more than a gram per lb of lean BW doesn't show any benefits based on a massive body of research, unless you are in a huge caloric deficit and trying to maintain LBM, think competitive bodybuilders.

2) Supplements (except creatine, caffeine and protein supplements), basically don't work. Those that work have a minimal effect on performance.

3) Sleep, for the love of God. Lack of good sleep crushes your hormones panels and is generally like a nuclear bomb to your physical and mental health. Turn off the phone/TV and sleep.

4) Alcohol, for the most part, just don't drink it. It wrecks your sleep, is terrible for your heart, liver, and brain. It also makes you want to eat garbage and really affects how you metabolize fat while drinking.

Moderation is the key to long term success. Fad diets (carnivore, vegan, etc) rarely work long term and most, if not all, have negative health consequences.

Basically, it boils down to discipline. Most people know what to do, they just don't have the discipline or mental strength to do it.

cmankingsley

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking along the same lines and not just because it's New Years. My biggest problem is that my job is terrible for sleep, stress, eating and trying to keep a schedule. I don't work 9-5 like most do. Let's jut say that I have a lot going against me. Which brings me to the biggest obstacle--a plan. What's your plan? It's great that you are using this for accountability, but what else? I need something flexible and not overly strict. I don't want to be back here next year trying to do the same thing over again after I failed some rigid plan.

chris

Easy Fat Camp

Don’t drink calories
No fast food or gas station food
No dessert besides fruit
1/2 dinner plate vegetables
Exercise 4 times per week 1hr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are no magic diets, magic workouts, magic supplements (unless you are using "special sports supplements" ie anabolics).

There are a couple rules that apply:

1) Eat protein, 0.6 - 1 gram per lb of bodyweight, depending on age (you need more as you age), activity level (harder training, more protein) and whether you are trying to gain mass or lose it. Eating more than a gram per lb of lean BW doesn't show any benefits based on a massive body of research, unless you are in a huge caloric deficit and trying to maintain LBM, think competitive bodybuilders.

2) Supplements (except creatine, caffeine and protein supplements), basically don't work. Those that work have a minimal effect on performance.

3) Sleep, for the love of God. Lack of good sleep crushes your hormones panels and is generally like a nuclear bomb to your physical and mental health. Turn off the phone/TV and sleep.

4) Alcohol, for the most part, just don't drink it. It wrecks your sleep, is terrible for your heart, liver, and brain. It also makes you want to eat garbage and really affects how you metabolize fat while drinking.

Moderation is the key to long term success. Fad diets (carnivore, vegan, etc) rarely work long term and most, if not all, have negative health consequences.

Basically, it boils down to discipline. Most people know what to do, they just don't have the discipline or mental strength to do it.

You might add glucosamine to that list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder

WKR
Ever since I quit drinking I've had a ridiculous craving for sugar. Cakes, pastries, ice cream especially. I'm 5'8 and at my biggest was 220. The last 5 yrs I've kept it between 185-200 with just exercise. I saw how much my dad struggled hunting this year. He's at least 100lbs overweight and can barely get around at 73 yrs old. I CAN'T END UP LIKE THAT! The day after Christmas I cut out all sugar and try to keep my carbs as low as possible, always under 25 gr per day. I wait at least 16 hrs between meals and when I work only eat once a day. I started at 192 this morning I'm at 183. I've given up so many times at this but I know it's different this time. 160 is my goal. I'm tired of being a fat douche. My wife looks amazing and she deserves better.

Yoder

WKR
The thing about me is I'm actually a gym rat. Just a gym rat with crappy eating habits apparently. I've been obsessed with the gym for almost 25 years at this point. I rarely ever miss workouts. My struggles are and have always been in the kitchen.
The gym is the only reason I'm not 50lbs heavier. I eat like a raccoon. Nothing but complete garbage. Fried foods, pizza, kill two half gallons of ice cream a week. I work out 8-10 hrs a week. Every time I leave the gym I can wring out my clothes. I split between stair climber, circuit training and lifting weights each time. I'm such an ass for wasting all that effort by eating trash.

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
The gym is the only reason I'm not 50lbs heavier. I eat like a raccoon. Nothing but complete garbage. Fried foods, pizza, kill two half gallons of ice cream a week. I work out 8-10 hrs a week. Every time I leave the gym I can wring out my clothes. I split between stair climber, circuit training and lifting weights each time. I'm such an ass for wasting all that effort by eating trash.
The gym is the only reason I'm not 100 lbs heavier! lol. I'm one of those big "husky" guys that carries my weight well thanks to being taller and having a big frame, I guess. People always drastically underestimate how much I actually weigh, which is part of the problem. I might be 50 lbs overweight, but only look like I'm 20 lbs overweight.

Felix40

WKR
That probably works, but not for everyone. Or at least it's not gonna work for me. I need to set some parameters and have some system. I don't want a fad diet or crazy detailed plan, but it needs to be more specific than, "just eat healthier". I am starting with a 20 day fast from alcohol.

chris
Why limit yourself to 20 days? Just quit drinking. It doesn’t do anything to help you reach your goals.