Weight Loss For Hunting in 2024

I need to hop on this train as well. I hunt out west every year and an able to keep up in the mountains and pack out heavy with all the guys I hunt with but I'm always the slowest and I'm 50lbs heavier than anyone in the group.

37 years old 5'11" 263lbs. Need to shed 50lbs. I'm resonable althletic.. squat bench deadlift over 1000lbs..can hike 10 miles in the mountains with 50lb pack without issue. But i'm way to fat and like some other guys above i'm noticing how its hard to breath when tying my boots hahaha.

Soda and eating out are my main issues.

I am currently down 18 lbs since Jan 16th. Did 6 weeks 100% pure carnivore with minimal training. Really ramped up the training after the 6-week carnivore diet with a minimum of 7 miles running and 15 miles walking a week.

I have to have something to work towards in order for me to stay active. Still training for my bear hunt in April and signed up for a 5k in May. Shooting for a 5k time under 30 min.

74Bronco

Lil-Rokslider
Down 29lbs since Dec. 8th. Carnivore plus fasting has worked for me. Weekends or eating out I have been lax on, but start right up again the next day. Down to 1 meal a day, with no real cravings. Which is not something I thought possible 3 months ago. Weather is beginning to warm up, so regular walking will lead into some rucking in the near future. Good luck everyone.

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
I started on a low carb, low sugar, it's only been 2 weeks and I've dropped 9 lbs and hasn't been to bad so far. Feels good. Started at 214 hope to be under 190 at some point.

Over the last 5 years I’ve fluctuated between low carb, nearly no carb and at the moment moderate carb…maybe 60-80 grams a day. No sugar for sure and most processed food I rarely eat.
I’ve never had a weight problem, but did go from 178 to 150. I’m 5’11” 63 years old. I changed my eating habits in an effort to heal lifelong gut issues…including colon cancer at age 40. It’s worked phenomenally well in that aspect.
As a bonus my cognitive function is much improved…very few “senior moments”. The daily aches and pains that I attributed to old age vanished. Daily energy levels improved as well.
I’d encourage anyone who’d like to extend their years hunting, and not just out of the truck, to try a self experiment. Adopt one of these diets…I’d recommend carnivore for the most immediate bang…and go all in for at least 60 days. I’m telling you it’s like turning back time. If at the end of that time you decide that the change is not worth it to you, what have you lost? 10 or 20 pounds? You can go back to the standard American diet and get em back in a month.

Last edited:

junitas03

FNG
For what it's worth - I'd suggest everyone read the book by Michael Pollan's book "The Omnivore's Dilemma." There's this great quote, "you are what you eat eats," which I think resonates with hunters and ranchers more than other communities. Because there's a direct correlation to the health of animal protein and what that animal protein was eating. Wild meat is infinitely more nutrient dense than commercially farmed animal protein.

The premise of the book is how we used to eat simple foods, foods with 1 (or minimal) ingredients. The example the author uses is Bread. Bread is traditionally made with Flour, Water, Salt and Yeast. Now, it's made with a list of crap no one can pronounce.

My father lost 65lbs taking the Michael Pollan approach towards food - eat real foods. And stop counting calories, count ingredients (minus seasonings like salt and pepper or whatever).

It's really hard. But, I found if you cut the crap out and only eat real foods with real ingredients - weight will fall off and everything improves (skin, energy, sleep, soreness / inflammation, you name it it gets better or goes away).

A little late to this thread but have been on "diet" threads here before. I really ballooned up after my CO deer hunt last fall and am just now back at that weight. I was way heavy for that anyway. Goal is to drop another 40 lbs, which I am mostly on track for. Down 20 lbs since Jan 15. Pretty strictly Paleo, but have done some intermittent fasting as well(part of the deal on Paleo). Currently coming up on 2.5 days with no food. Honestly not that hungry but need to eat today as I have a MTB workout tonight. I have had two cheat sessions in three months, those being granola (only sugary thing I actually crave....weird) No grains (except the occasional beer), absolutely no PROCESSED sugar and no processed food, except for the aforementioned Granola. Still trying to keep carbs below 100g per day. Lots of leafy greens, nuts, no seed oils, some wine too. Picked up Mark Sisson's book and it's pretty good and common sense. I have done carnivore in the past but just get really tired of it. With Paleo there is more variety and you can add back some non processed carbs into your diet.

I pretty much subscribe to the mantra that 'if it comes in a box, bag, can or jar, don't eat it.'

Last edited:
For what it's worth - I'd suggest everyone read the book by Michael Pollan's book "The Omnivore's Dilemma." There's this great quote, "you are what you eat eats," which I think resonates with hunters and ranchers more than other communities. Because there's a direct correlation to the health of animal protein and what that animal protein was eating. Wild meat is infinitely more nutrient dense than commercially farmed animal protein.

The premise of the book is how we used to eat simple foods, foods with 1 (or minimal) ingredients. The example the author uses is Bread. Bread is traditionally made with Flour, Water, Salt and Yeast. Now, it's made with a list of crap no one can pronounce.

My father lost 65lbs taking the Michael Pollan approach towards food - eat real foods. And stop counting calories, count ingredients (minus seasonings like salt and pepper or whatever).

It's really hard. But, I found if you cut the crap out and only eat real foods with real ingredients - weight will fall off and everything improves (skin, energy, sleep, soreness / inflammation, you name it it gets better or goes away).
You know you think about it, previous generations did just that, the old meat and potatoes meal right? Just a few simple ingredients, right out of the garden and or the pasture. Even just 50 or 60 years ago, we as a culture were doing this and we had way fewer obesity issues. I try and subscribe to this as well, plus it really just tastes better.

junitas03

FNG
You know you think about it, previous generations did just that, the old meat and potatoes meal right? Just a few simple ingredients, right out of the garden and or the pasture. Even just 50 or 60 years ago, we as a culture were doing this and we had way fewer obesity issues. I try and subscribe to this as well, plus it really just tastes better.
1000%
This guy I train with said it best - you can eat 2-3 bags of potato chips, no problem. Try eating 2-3 baked potatoes in one sitting - impossible (without feeling truly full).

The whole counting calories thing is total BS. A 10oz. filet of wild meat, simply grilled with a pile of roasted veggies and a massive baked potato drenched in olive oil and (good quality) butter has easily 2,500 calories.

And, it's definitely not the same as a Big Mac or a Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich.

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
47 years old. 6’5”. 5 knee surgeries in 3 years. 1 year 1 month out from knee replacement. Started at 254 on Jan. 1st, and 237 right now.

I am doing yoga or weights every weekday for 20 minutes and spinning hard for 20 minutes. I’m using MyFitnessPal to track my eating and exercise.

Goal? I want to be under 230 by bear hunting season!

For 4 weeks I’ve been losing about two pounds a week, which is fast enough, but damn, being hungry all day sucks - this has to be the hardest year I can remember. In the past it was easy to buckle down and tough out losing 3-1/2 lbs a week, but age is wrecking my metabolism. On the plus side it is nice eating a fairly decent amount of food, but I miss those snacks.

The funny part is one week our chicken soup was litterally the best soup ever of all time. Then last Sunday the omelet at a little breakfast place was the best ever. Apparently the new normally bland diet has really brought out flavors. Lol

For some reason steel cut oats really fills me up for relatively few calories. I like turkey sausage links so one of those helps break up the blandness. No snacks other than celery, carrots, oranges or apples. Lunch is a normal sandwich of some kind, and dinner is a chicken breast, big salad and veggies.
No reason you have to be bland. Fruits, esp berries are a great way to spice it up. Sure they promote an insulin spike, but they have lots of other benefits. Try different seasonings on your meat, lots of different flavors of balsamic for salads, Shoot, seems like my salads end up being all fruit and nuts by the time I am done...lol. Salsa is a great low calorie way to spice up eggs and meat. Heck, even 75%+ dark chocolate is doable, just in moderation. Lemon on lime juice, guacamole, all sorts of things out there to make the diet more exciting or Spicy!!!

BFM

FNG
Started carnivore Jan 1 with the plan to just do it for the month. Lost so much and feel so good that I've been continuing. On 12/30 I weighed mid day at 249lb. This morning I was 212lb. I have a pretty muscular build and am surprised I've been able to lose that much while maintaining a decent amount of lean mass. I wish I would have done a blood test before but I did not... so as long as I'm feeling good I am not inclined to do one now.
Have been dealing with a herniated disc and not lifting as much, just some light work and dog walks.
I haven't checked my weight in over a week but I've been holding between 200-205. Neck is feeling better (been using iron neck), so I've been lifting more. Feeling great still. If you guy's want to see hairy nipples, I'll post a pic of before and today.

Houseminer

Lil-Rokslider
Weight loss is a simple game. You simply exert (burn) more calories that you consume. I have been a bodybuilder for over 30 years and I still vary my winter and summer weight by 25 lbs. It is amazing how quickly one can lose weight by just eliminating sugar and alcohol and adding an extra workout day to your week.

bigbuckdj

WKR
elk hunted at 252, backslid a bit and was around 258 at the end of 2023. I’m at 240 and feeling great currently, my body composition has changed a ton over the last 2.5 months even though I’ve only lost 15 pounds.

I’m running about 20 miles a week and lifting 3-4 days a week. I’ve worked down from 2800 calories to 2300 calories with 36% protein, 31% carbs, 33% fat. I’ve lost hundreds of pounds on keto if I count all the times I’ve lost and gained it. I’m focused this time on losing weight slow on a balanced diet(~1 pound per week) and building a better relationship with food. I hope to find a nice balanced maintenance calorie diet coming out of this. I would like to be around 190.

Good luck everybody! At my current path I could be around 210 this September and much stronger/fitter than I was at 255 this past September. Its an exciting for me to think about being more capable.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
elk hunted at 252, backslid a bit and was around 258 at the end of 2023. I’m at 240 and feeling great currently, my body composition has changed a ton over the last 2.5 months even though I’ve only lost 15 pounds.

I’m running about 20 miles a week and lifting 3-4 days a week. I’ve worked down from 2800 calories to 2300 calories with 36% protein, 31% carbs, 33% fat. I’ve lost hundreds of pounds on keto if I count all the times I’ve lost and gained it. I’m focused this time on losing weight slow on a balanced diet(~1 pound per week) and building a better relationship with food. I hope to find a nice balanced maintenance calorie diet coming out of this. I would like to be around 190.

Good luck everybody! At my current path I could be around 210 this September and much stronger/fitter than I was at 255 this past September. Its an exciting for me to think about being more capable.

Nice progress! I started the year at 258lbs myself. Weighed in this morning at 246.

I'm eating better and working out with Kettlebells 3 to 5 days a week. I need to starting walking/hiking with a weighted backpack.

Goal is to be under 230 for my Elk hunt in Oct. Not sure I can make 210, but we'll see.

bigbuckdj

WKR
Nice progress! I started the year at 258lbs myself. Weighed in this morning at 246.

I'm eating better and working out with Kettlebells 3 to 5 days a week. I need to starting walking/hiking with a weighted backpack.

Goal is to be under 230 for my Elk hunt in Oct. Not sure I can make 210, but we'll see.
Cool! What are you doing for diet?