Weight of your optics load out including tripod?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am trying to get an idea of the typical load weight for optics. I shoot off my tripod, so it tripod may weigh a little more, but I also leave the bipod at home. My typical tripod and head weigh 4lbs 5 ounces. I can get away with one weighing about 2 lbs 7 ounces for glassing only.

I have also recently changed up my optics load out to get more versatility. I traded out of my 18 UHD for a 16x Zulu image stabilized bino AND a Kowa 554. Those two only weigh 9 ounces more than just the 18 x. Besides them, I carry my 10x Fury rangefinders. I am prioritizing some features for digiscoping and finding a way to carry the Kowa without a weight penalty.

What is your typical load out if you have to pack the glass and tripod with a hike in or backcountry?
What do you prioritize?

What glass do you carry?
What does the glas weigh?
What tripod and head?
What does it weigh?

Do you use a bipod on your rifle?

What is your typical load out if you have to pack the glass and tripod with a hike in or backcountry?
What do you prioritize?

What glass do you carry?
What does the glas weigh?
What tripod and head?
What does it weigh?

Do you use a bipod on your rifle?
I think my scope choice would depend on the length and elevation gain of the hike in. Plus what animal I'm hunting. As for my binos/tripod combo that I always have on me, details below. If I was doing more hardcore hunts I'd probably want to shave some weight but the tripod is so amazing I don't know if I'd be willing to.

1. I have a RRS TFCT-34L with Anvil head and a PT-Scout head on top of that. Covers me for shooting and glassing but weighs a total of about 5#
2. My Swaro EL 10x50s weigh 35oz, I'll pick up a Vortex Razor 13-39 spotter before hunting pronghorn next fall.
3. Rangefinder is a Sig Kilo5K that I got recently, gives me my elevation adjustment which is nice.

I did not use a bipod on my last hunt because of steep terrain and the fact my bipod was an Atlas CAL which I just don't think is that great for hunting situations. I find the leg locks to be a gigantic pain in my ass. I just got a Ckye pod standard weight single pull which I will absolutely take hunting because it's way more versatile and fast to deploy.

Last edited: