Well....I've had enough

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Working out hard after a longer period of inactivity and cutting to minimum calories to survive is a recipe for disaster.
You are right. One mistake people make is putting on weight over years and trying to take it off in days or a few weeks. When it doesn't work quickly they quit. The rabbit doesn't win this race....the turtle does. This isn't going to be quick and it's going to take time to get to where I want to get too.

A lot of this is mental. The first step for me was completely changing what and when I am eating and drinking. I needed a reset. I was eating and drinking crap and eating and drinking it frequently. All hours of the day and night. Your body gets used to all those calories, carbs, sugar and sodium and it becomes part of daily routine. Doughnuts for breakfast, sugar drinks, spaghetti and garlic bread for dinner and snacking on candy and cookies. Rinse and repeat.

I decided I needed to develop a new eating routine relatively quickly. That's all I'm doing. I'm not going hungry but I do go 10-12 hours without food intake, I am controlling portions and counting calories right now but that is in the short term. It did take me a couple days to get my body and mind to adapt to the change but I'm there now. Fish and veg for dinner. It's 10 pm and I'm sipping on a cup of hot tea. That is what I was looking for in the short term and it's sustainable change.

There was a HOF wrestling coach at the U of MN named J Robinson and he once said that loosing weight is easy. Eat less and work harder. The harder you work, the more you get to eat. It's as hard as you want to make it...or as simple.

My calorie intake is fine for what I'm doing right now. This isn't an all or nothing kind of deal. 1500 calories a day isn't a long term ceiling and at my age, with my metabolism, dieting alone would be a waste of time anyway.

Most of what I am doing right now is stretching to get my range of motion back before I start lifting. I'm stiffer than a board right now and it will help prevent injuries going forward. My cardio is a ramping up process too. I'm walking a couple miles a day but my miles need to increase weekly and eventually I'll add a pack, weight and some mountains to the program.

My calories, carbs and protein will increase in the upcoming days and weeks as my cardio and work outs get more frequent and harder but that will be a ramping up process and proportional. Eventually, I should be able to get everything dialed in so I can maintain the fitness gains I make along the way and have a sustainable program going forward. That's the plan right now at least.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Low fat and calorie restriction is not a long term solution.
My calories will increase as needed and a high calorie and fat diet is what got me here, so I'm reducing it. It isn't going to be long term. When I'm talking about low fat, I'm talking about getting bacon, Italian sausage, ice cream, soda's and fast food off the menu and replaced with relatively healthy sources of calories, protein and fat like fish, chicken and beans in proper portions, some fruit and a lot of veg. Cooking with olive oil vs butter etc., Portion control is important too..
You have to have fat in your diet but I'm trying to limit it to more reasonable levels and healthier types. Eventually, I will be able to have a cheat day and enjoy a milk shake but I'm not there yet.

You're right about processed foods. They are a problem when you're not paying attention.

180ls1

WKR
I'd encourage you to hire professional help. Some of the things you are doing are not good.

Sodium for example is vital, especially if you work out. The proper amount of fat is needed for hormone production. Amongst other things which lots of others have addressed.

Honestly, you're setting yourself up to fail. Your health is worth the investment.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
I'd encourage you to hire professional help. Some of the things you are doing are not good.

Sodium for example is vital, especially if you work out. The proper amount of fat is needed for hormone production. Amongst other things which lots of others have addressed.

Honestly, you're setting yourself up to fail. Your health is worth the investment.
Appreciate your concern. I'm clearly not communicating very well on this issue but there really isn't anything I am doing that is dangerous or uninformed. I'll be fine in the short term. I'm drinking plenty of fluids and eating healthy. Recommended calories per day for a man of my age starts at 2000 calories and I'm a bowl of Cheerios away from that right now. It's just a starting point and will change.....and drinking water instead of Coke Zero isn't going to create a problem but it will reduce my sodium intake. Workouts and diet requirements are relatively fluid and will change as needed. They are goals. I've listened to team nutritionists from Penn State, Missouri, OU and the Mayo Clinic in the past. I honestly know how to eat healthy and train properly. I just chose not too. I'm fat not stupid. Now I'm trying to fix that.

WKR
Pheasant hunting and random upland hunts provide great motivation. If I can't do those, I'd be pissed. Best of luck and stick to it.

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on making the commitment.

But don't count out healthy fats and higher than recommend daily salt intake.

Critical in many functions of the brain and body.

Sugar on the other hand is the devil in disguise.

The Valley to Peak podcast is a great starting point to learn. https://www.v2pnutrition.com/

Hopefully, if I have said something dumb, but if I have @V2Pnutrition will hopefully correct it. (Well, he will say fasted training is dumb, I do not encourage others to copy me not do I say it is a good idea).
There's alot in this thread that warrants correction, but you always do a great job in replying to these type of things. Thank you for recommending the podcast, too- really appreciate that.

Best of luck, OP. Find something that works for you and be consistent- there's the big million dollar secret and 'metabolic hack' ;-)

Broomd

WKR
Good on you for being proactive at this point. It's not easy, we all deal with it.
Re. '1500 calories' does read as light. My wife is a dietitian/nutritionist, if you needed some professional advice she offered gratis to help you based on your age, bmi, diet etc.

PM if that is something you're interested in.

Broomd

WKR

Eat right, sleep right, basic weight train, ruck! Start with about 10lbs, then as you lose the weight off your body, add it into the pack. You will be rucking with the same weight you started with. Go check this site and other "Rucking" sites out. A few out there. Really helps prepare for the mountains.

I started light Keto, rucking back in 2018. Serious rucking. Built up to a consistent 60 lbs in the pack, 4 miles every single night, Rain or shine. Went from 252lbs to 192 lbs literally in 90 days. Way to much loss too fast but I was on a mission. Saw a pic of myself and it was disgusting.
Wow....that is serious life change.

Divide93

FNG
There is enough, and has been enough information out there for a comeback to a former self! Paying someone to do what one already knows is just a waste of money , imo! Good luck with your conditioning, I am in the process myself!

Three ways to lose weight and two of them suck. Chemo, type 2 diabetes with ozempic (1.0), and 6 weeks of hunting. I work at gaining weight so I don't blow away.

It's been a month. Mosby, how are you making out? Great progress? Good luck, and I started down the same path around the same time and for the same reasons. I'm 15 pounds lighter and have 15 more to go to hit my 190 target. After that, then I can decide how to tackle that last 10, which will be the most difficult. It's certainly not easy, but looking back it is worth every bit of effort. Lots of cardio and cut out the sugar, breads and pastas as well as portion control.

Snookster

FNG
72 here. Not overweight, always exercised etc., bike-swim. Avid believer in staying active and fit! .... Joined a local, private owned Gym approx. 3-4 yrs. ago. Young guy (acquaintance) suggested a Longevity Class focusing on strength, cardio, flexibility, and balance. Age group of our class 60 - 82. ..... Good Luck to you achieving your goals. "Don't Let the Old Man In!"