Well shit, I actually won the VT moose lottery.

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
That wasn't supposed to happen. I'm out of state too! I'm gear prepared (I think) but not very logistics prepared. I'll post a packstack.io link up here in a couple days.

My plan was to truck camp. A few guides have cold called me. Around $2K dollars. I'm allowed a second shooter so even with a split, 1k for a moose? I'd rather just buy a new spotting scope. Is it crazy to not use a guide?

We're going to quarter in the field and pack the meat out. Once it's back to the truck is where my plan starts to become nonexistent.

My number 1 priority is getting this meat down to temp asap. I saw in a thread maybe a deep freezer with a generator? Maybe the local butchers will charge me a small fee to let the meat hang? Maybe some restaraunts may do the same. Id be willing to trade meat for some cooling time. Getting it down to temp is harder than maintaining temp on a 5 hour ride back.

We're also going to be moving into a new house a month prior, so boy will I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BAKPAKR

WKR
Congrats! I didn’t do much planning when I had a New Hampshire tag. After my dad got his bull, as my sub-permittee, we lucked into a fellow who owned a sporting goods shop who just so happened to have an empty freezer. When I drew a Maine tag a few years later, I made arrangements with a butcher ahead of time.

OP
G

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
What was the butcher cost? I REALLY want to at least take part in the butcher. It will be soul crushing for me to miss out on that learning opportunity

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BAKPAKR

WKR
I don’t recall the cost (it was in 2009) but I know it wasn’t too bad or I wouldn’t have done it. The Vermont Fish and Wildlife website might have a list of processors that you could contact.

If you go with a processor, make sure to confirm how long it will take to process the moose and figure that time into your trip. I got my Maine moose on opening day and, since my brother’s flight out wasn’t until later in the week, I didn’t have any problem with the processing time. Had I not found a moose until the end of the hunt, it might have been another story.

Wohoo you’ll have a blast!
I drew a Maine tag last year and we did it DIY. I made a post on here and some guys gave me some pointers with logistics and what to look for scouting. Find that thread it’s got some good tips other members posted.

It was definitely doable DIY and we got into plenty of bulls. Saving the $ was nice but it made for a much more memorable experience and adventure. I had a few friends along so it was easy to quarter and pack the 1-2 miles. We used a butcher on the ME/NH state line. Since my friend group was from all over this made more sense than processing it ourselves.

ahlgringo

WKR
If you are even contemplating DIY- then do it. If you think the only way you are going to get into Bulls (in reality) is with a guide- then go that way.

I personally enjoy the satisfaction of my own work almost as much as the harvest but I am also not so ignorant as to know my own limitations whether that be time/knowledge/experience/resources to tap/etc.

OP
G

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
E1 antlerless

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

OP
G

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Wohoo you’ll have a blast!
I drew a Maine tag last year and we did it DIY. I made a post on here and some guys gave me some pointers with logistics and what to look for scouting. Find that thread it’s got some good tips other members posted.

It was definitely doable DIY and we got into plenty of bulls. Saving the $ was nice but it made for a much more memorable experience and adventure. I had a few friends along so it was easy to quarter and pack the 1-2 miles. We used a butcher on the ME/NH state line. Since my friend group was from all over this made more sense than processing it ourselves.
Can you have more than 1 person with you?

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Not sure your question ? In ME we had a group of guys to help scout and packout. We also had a permittee and a sub-permittee and both of us were allowed to shoot and we both did which was cool.

I have no clue VT regs but I’d expect you can have other guys go with you to pack and enjoy the hunt.