Western Hunting - the Illusion of Seclusion

jb@work

FNG
I am a big believer the only way to get away from hunters is apply in areas with low tag numbers and big country. On several occasions where I was 'off the grid' and ran into hunters, I introduced myself and it ended up we had different tags. These situations can turn into a productive trip...good luck!

N2TRKYS

WKR
If you can get a truck or a quad, and in many places even horses, there fairly easily. And it’s not a draw unit with limited tags. You’re gonna see a lot of people

Just don’t give up, you don’t have to be the only one hunting the unit to be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good point. Seems easy, but it's harder for me to mentally get over it.

Wise words, though.

Marble

WKR
I hunt where I find elk. I don't worry about what others are doing.
This and there are a lot of inexperienced elk hunters in the woods. Expereince will guide you where you need to go.

Hunt smarter, not harder....but hunt hard!

Scoutman

FNG
The unit I hunt is very rugged, thick, steep in areas. Most hunters I encounter spend 80% of their time on a ATV or UTV riding around, when they should' be hunting. I've also observed that a majority leave camp late and return early, scared of the dark? Hunted same unit for 15 years, guided 2 years for a outfitter as well. Majority of guys were mentally defeated within 3 days of start of the hunt, didn't take preparation serious enough,etc. You also have a few that quit if they see a bear or a lion in areas they are hunting, seen some pretty extreme reactions to common western hunting situations. Doesn't matter how far away or close you hunt period if you take yourself out of the game before it begins.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Most of my life I was one of the guys who were in shape and pumped, well until Nov 2013. For 3 months my should/arm pounded like a toothache. 2 MRI's showed nothing. Now, about to turn 64, a few health issues and not in the condition I'd like to be in (yes I can hike alot). I was a whitetail hunter since the 70's and I discovered elk hunting 3 years ago. Like the many who can scale a mountain like a madman, I used to look down my nose on those who weren't able to. So now the shoe is on the other foot and when I head out west to hunt I may be one of the guys on horseback or not in the steepest backcountry but I'm going to give it hell each and every year I'm able to, G-d willing and the crick don't rise.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
Ill admit that we did an OTC hunt this past year third season. I thought we had done enough homework and found a spot that if we were willing to hike into, there would be little to no other hunting pressure. Well, 4.5 miles in we set up camp and went out that evening to glass a bit. It was a successful afternoon where we located a few elk but three different hunting camps. Seems the horses made it in a bit further than we did. To say the least, as the days progressed so did the amount of hunters. It was a great trip with beautiful scenery but no elk. You just never know!

Beendare

WKR
Thinking you can get 5 miles from other hunters is a pipe dream.

Even in many wilderness areas at 5 miles in you are typically 5 miles from the other side.

i shot a bull in OTC Co a few years ago that was 300 yds from where many hunters drove past to get “in deeper”

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I kind of laugh at "illusion of seclusion" because I've had 5 different ML hunters creep in and shoot a bull that I was working since 2010. And in all five of those cases, I had no idea whatsoever that there was anyone, let alone a ML hunter, anywhere near me at the time. Never saw any vehicles or any other sign that there was anyone in those areas until they actually shot. So I had the full-on illusion of seclusion until that point. Sometimes I'm working these bulls for 15-45 minutes, so plenty of time for someone to sneak in from a long ways off that hears what's going on.

ChrisAU

WKR
In 13 total days of hunting in CO in my first two years I've seen a sum total of 0 zero hunters off trail in an OTC/0 point unit.

Trying to remember year 1 on trail...2 guys on the trail not even halfway to my destination going in, saw 4 going in at about the same spot on our way out.

Going in this past year saw and passed 4 guys who said they were going the same place we were, but we never saw a hint of them. Zero chance they made it even close. One guy was hobbling/limping 15 feet from the truck with 2500 ft' and 5 miles to go. Saw 3 more on trail total in two pack-outs to the truck all within a couple miles of the truck.

I can remember hunting whitetails on public land in AL when I was in college. I have felt incredibly isolated both of my trips to CO.

TLDR; - There are millions of hunters every day of hunting season in CO, don't go!

Wapiti1

WKR
I called two bulls in across a well maintained public road last fall. This isn't an uncommon thing and certainly not unwelcome. If I want elk, I don't particularly care about seclusion or hunters. I care if there are elk or not. Typically, I use the other hunters to my advantage to find more elk.

Jeremy

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
No secret spots been telling people that for decades just some places more difficult to access with fewer hunters or they arrive too late....any day out gives you an opportunity just some have a greater likelihood of success....5.75 months and counting🤩

Rather hunt in isolation but getting outside the radius of the weekend warrior/ road hunting crowd is difficult when you work the typical 9-5... Especially in Commufornia! It's possible but like others mentioned just have to give a little extra effort but mostly results in exhausted Monday mornings and unpunched tags haha

I find not only hunting where "others" (most others) won't hunt....whether that includes hard to reach areas, lower animal density units, lower trophy animal density, etc. really helps. But also try hunting "when" others don't want to hunt. Later in the season in when it is cold and miserable is my favorite time to be out. The cold or wind or a little moisture in the air can keep a majority of guys in the trucks or close to it. An all out blizzard or hurricane is one thing but I've killed animals and horrible weather days and never saw another sole around. Then run into guys in town "waiting out the storm".

This worked for us last year in WY. Had a walk in Area completely to ourselves the last 4 days of the season. Mornings were - 9 to - 13 degrees. Ran into a state biologist and he said he hadn't seen another hunter in days. That's also why I hunt during the week when possible.

I'm not worried about others chasing off the game. Just being alone is a big part of hunting for me.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I kind of laugh at "illusion of seclusion" because I've had 5 different ML hunters creep in and shoot a bull that I was working since 2010. And in all five of those cases, I had no idea whatsoever that there was anyone, let alone a ML hunter, anywhere near me at the time. Never saw any vehicles or any other sign that there was anyone in those areas until they actually shot. So I had the full-on illusion of seclusion until that point. Sometimes I'm working these bulls for 15-45 minutes, so plenty of time for someone to sneak in from a long ways off that hears what's going on.

Man that plain sucks.I’d be worried about getting shot
You must be a lucky sucker Mike

fatlander

WKR
I hunted a gated road this past year that I ran into quite a few people at the gate. About a mile in the road breaks high one way(over grown and unkept) and low the other (well defined and maintained). Every guy but one took the low road and saw nothing and never returned (I know because I was there quite a few days in a row). The only guy that climbed the hill with us was deer hunting. He had seen the same 3 massive bulls we were hunting. He went on to say year after year, people take the easy route, and year after year there’s bulls up that hill. . . People are creatures of habit just like the animals we hunt. Find places your quarry wants to be and people don’t want to put in the effort to get to. You’ll probably be alone.