Becoming Better hunters- a survey of prioritization

What are the most valuable off season activities to become a better hunter- pic your top 3

• Physical training and fitness

• Weapon proficiency

• Desktop-scouting

• Macro-planning

• Boots on the ground scouting

• Education

• Gear

Results are only viewable after voting.

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I've done it both ways. I don't think being physically fit has increased my lethality, or at least not being fit hasn't degraded it. Know the country, know the animals, take advantage of the opportunity when you get one.
Individual experiences may vary, but I don't think it was coincidence that the year I got serious about getting into hiking shape was also my most successful hunting year (1 elk, 1 bear)

Following elk tracks in the snow opening morning, elk tracks head straight up the mountain
"This is what I've been exercising all summer for, guess I'm hiking up this mountain"
Crossed paths with the bear on the other side
Wouldn't have seen him if I got to the mountain and said "That looks hard, back to camp," Which I had done before.

3 days later I'm not completely exhausted because I've been hiking all summer and still have the energy to go down into the thick timber canyon with bayonet fixed.
Two separate moments of "Should I take a break here? Nah, I'll walk for a couple more minutes" put me in the right spot to shoot a spike elk at 25 feet.

I think with physical fitness, confidence is greatly increased. A hunter with a positive mindset and confidence in his abilities is able to overcome other short comings.
THIS!

ianpadron

WKR
I think with physical fitness, confidence is greatly increased. A hunter with a positive mindset and confidence in his abilities is able to overcome other short comings.
Absolutely.

If you're physically fit AND mentally tough you can deal with some serious shit on a hunt.

Can't imagine how bad it's gotta be when things go South AND you're sore, out of breath, and feel like crap

There is this weird ego thing with dudes who can live on Copenhagen, Coors Light, and no sleep...

I'm like "Congrats, but you'd be an absolute animal if you took care of your body" haha

Oh well

How does confidence help overcoming not knowing where to go, or what the animals are going to do, or how to operate a weapon effectively?

How does confidence help overcoming not knowing where to go, or what the animals are going to do, or how to operate a weapon effectively?
Well, it gets you out of camp or out of the truck. If you don't have any confidence in your abilities, you are going to second guess everything you do. A hunter with no confidence is about as useful as a gun shy dog.

Well, like I said I've done it both ways. I was in pretty good shape year 5 when I killed my first bull (and all the failed years prior). Haven't really worked out since year 5 but have obviously done most of my killing since. I personally think a lot of you guys overblow the physical thing.

Well, like I said I've done it both ways. I was in pretty good shape year 5 when I killed my first bull (and all the failed years prior). Haven't really worked out since year 5 but have obviously done most of my killing since. I personally think a lot of you guys overblow the physical thing.
You are probably right.
It has a lot to do with the situation though. If I'm hunting a new spot, I probably need to do some scouting to get an idea of the lay of the land. Most of the time though, I hunt the same area. I know what kind of shape I need to be in if I want to get back in where I hunt.

Mcribs

FNG
It seems like the physical thing can help mitigate other limitations in knowledge and lack of prep. You can always get to a high glassing point or do an additional stalk. I’d love to find them in easier spots.

With that said, it does wonders for my confidence being able to get around the mountains properly. Plus I enjoy the process of staying in shape.

SDHNTR

WKR
I’ll have to say I laughed at most of these. As seemed seemed to skirt around the most obvious in my opinion, but probably the hardest to improve. “Woodsmanship”
Or bush craft some call it. Overall improvement things like getting the most out of your camouflage, (no not buying the newest qucci camo), stalking, interpreting changing weather, moving through terrain, so on and so. Boots on the ground weapon proficiency also very important. These things have made this difference between eating and starving for food 1000s of years. The others essentially have only rapidly evolved in the last few decades but are useless with out woodsmanship.
This matters most. Right after the physical ability to get to and stay in the mountains/woods.

Last edited: