Western Muzzle Loader Advice and First ML Kill

nphunter

WKR
Just got back from my first muzzle loader hunt where I borrowed my buddies old muzzle loader. I really enjoyed the hunt and am looking for advice on a new Oregon legal muzzle loader. Musket Cap, open ignition and no sabots.

My list of must haves is accuracy, ease of cleaning without tools and packable. I’m looking at the traditions G4 NW LDR which has mixed but very few reviews. I would really like to find a gun capable of MOA accuracy or close. I was able to make a clean 1 shot kill this year at 100 yards but was not super confident since i was shooting consistently shooting a 3-5” group.

Price isn’t a huge factor as long as it does what i need. Weight is also a consideration but I would take a heavier gun that is accurate over a lighter less accurate gun. I plan on hunting both Oregon and Idaho and mostly open country spot and stalk style hunting which is why I want a longer barrel more accurate gun.

Here is a picture of my first muzzle loader animal I shot two days ago. I would also love advice on OR legal, bullets, powder and caps. I’m planning on 50 cal since I may want to hunt elk some day as well.

F68CC7DB-03AE-4657-863F-846A5A732900.jpeg

Rob5589

WKR
Great buck! A ml is on my to-do list. From all I have read, the CVA Optima offers a ton for the price. They have a northwest version for Oregon, Idaho, etc.

I shoot the Traditions northwest magnum and have no complaints. Easy to clean, very accurate and lightweight.