western states road trippin

My fiance and I are leaving this weekend on a two week road trip. Just to see some sights and see what places we like as a potential to move someday. Heading to Vegas first, as we have never been. Flagstaff/northern Az is next, Grand Canyon, and into Utah. Utah has a lot of cool tourist places to see, Zion, Brice, canyonlands, arches, moab, and on and on. I know we don't have time for them all. then up into Idaho, hope to make it all the way up to Bonners Ferry to visit my aunt and uncle. then cut across Washington and go down 5 through Oregon on the way home.

I know most of the popular tourist parks and attractions on the way but I'm looking for some local tips on cool places to see that aren't full of tourist turds. My fiance is super into photography, she just bought a Nikon D810 for the trip (she has wanted one forever). I'd like to find some cool camp grounds to stay at mostly, national forest is a plus. I'd like to bust out a rod and do some trout fishing and maybe some plinking with the .22s here and there. Places to stop and eat, cool stuff to see, nice towns to visit, places to fish, places to camp. any tips or suggestions are welcome.

Also I am aware that we may run out of time depending on how long we spend in each place, so not sure if we will complete the whole loop.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You could do i15 north to Zions. Cut the corner to 70 thru boulder utah. Could hike some slot canyons or visit one of my favorite short hikes calf creek falls. Cut thru the national forest to 70 west. Lots of fishing and camping opportunities between boulder and loa. Take 70 down to arches enjoy moab for a day or more Corona arch is a great hike. Take hwy 6 back towards provo great Mexican food in price by walmart.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stone hedge replica is just across the river from Biggs junction Oregon. I would take the back road through the gorge in Oregon and see some of the falls if you travel that way along the river

Beaver Street brewery or fat olives to eat in flagstaff. Not a whole lot to do in flag other than that. Canyon should be great. Have a good trip

charvey9

WKR
Skip I-5 and take the 101 down the coast. All the little towns are touristy, the smaller ones less so, but eiher way the scenic route is better than the freeway. You'll want to stop and see the Goonies Rock in Cannon Beach and anything else that catches your eye along the way.

Here is a little guide:
http://www.oregoncoasttravel.net/

If she likes photography hit Zion, Bryce and Arches in Utah. If you want something different that is way cool without all the people you may want to hit Capitol Reef in Utah.

DaveC

WKR
My fiance and I are leaving this weekend on a two week road trip. Just to see some sights and see what places we like as a potential to move someday.

Plenty of snow in high places in April. The main road to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon will still be gated, and probably snowy, though if it's clear you can drive around the gate on dirt roads and take the paved road to the rim.

Peakaboo and Spooky Gulches make a great hike in Escalante, as does Calf Creek Falls. Escalante Outfitters in Escalante has maps and information and pizza.

Lots of good free camping on National Forest land in southern Utah. Great camping just east of Bryce, as well as up on the mountain off the highway between Boulder and Torrey.

gmajor

WKR
I just went (like got back day before yesterday) from the Bay through Tahoe to Boise, through Ketchum to Jackson Wyo (Tetons) and up to Missoula, then back to the bay through the Salmon River valley. 2500 miles total, CA, NV, OR, ID, WY, MT. Message me if you're interested in the snowpack in any areas around that route. Tetons had a ton of snow and we got 2 more ft on us 6 miles deep on snowshoes on our overnighter.

OP
E
thanks again guys. looks like we are going to have to reschedule. Not going to be very vacation like if we have to camp in crap weather the whole time. Mid May will have to do. really sucks already booked in Vegas for hotel and circus, doh

Jimbo V

WKR
If you hit Arches swing by dead horse point state park, it's right there.