What arrow spine/weight/speed?

Jimbob

WKR
Looking at picking up some Easton axis and adding some Ethics footers. What spine/specs would you guys choose?

This is what's in stock and I don't feel like waiting with the covid delays

Choice 1
Easton Axis 300 27" aluminum insert Ethics footer 100 grain head 4 fletch - weight 484 /speed -299 fps / FOC 11.6 (Pinwheel says perfect spine)

Choice 2 ($50 more)
Easton Axis match 260 28.5" brass insert Ethics footer 100 grain head 3 fletch - weight 544 / speed - 283 / FOC 13.5 (Pinwheel says slightly stiff)

I hunt Northern BC Sheep/goats/moose distance matters. I'm leaning to choice two.

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
I would use HITs and IW collars way before I'd mess with Ethics.
Why?

I don't mind spending a little extra money but those IW collars are a little crazy. $85 us to my door so that will be over $120 my CDN dollars. Just cannot justify that cost.

Also, what will the Iron Will gain over the stainless Ethics?

dkime

WKR
What bow and setup are you running that you’re pushing a 544gr arrow at that kind of speed?

Always go slightly stiff just Incase you forgot to turn the target setting off on your pinwheel program.

I run a Day Six HD 300 at very similar specs to your second option and have had really good luck with managing my tune. Any faster and I wouldn’t be comfortable. You’ll have a pretty good investment in any shaft combination that will replicate what you’re trying to accomplish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
What bow and setup are you running that you’re pushing a 544gr arrow at that kind of speed?

Always go slightly stiff just Incase you forgot to turn the target setting off on your pinwheel program.

I run a Day Six HD 300 at very similar specs to your second option and have had really good luck with managing my tune. Any faster and I wouldn’t be comfortable. You’ll have a pretty good investment in any shaft combination that will replicate what you’re trying to accomplish.

Mathews Vertix 29" 75 lbs

Ya I always prefer a little stiffer. If I went with the 300 shafts I realize I could possibly have to turn the poundage on the bow down. I am leaning to the side of a slower set-up for easier tuning/more forgiving, quieter, less jump/vibe, and an arrow that will hit like a truck. BUT I like the advantage of a flat shooting set-up. Just looking for that perfect middle ground for me.

What filter does the app use?
In years past using the software on a computer I always checked the hunting setting but I'm using the app now and there is nowhere to change settings. Does anyone know what setting the app is default at?

dkime

WKR
It defaults to target/hunting which will allow you to shoot a slightly weak spine.

I would encourage you to also use the trajectory part of both shafts to see how minimal the “flatness” of the other shaft is in comparison. It’s pretty funny how little of a difference it makes.

Are you using the mobile app or the desktop version?

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
It defaults to target/hunting which will allow you to shoot a slightly weak spine.

I would encourage you to also use the trajectory part of both shafts to see how minimal the “flatness” of the other shaft is in comparison. It’s pretty funny how little of a difference it makes.

Are you using the mobile app or the desktop version?

mobile.

I purchased the desktop years ago, I guess it's on an old computer now. I didn't want to buy again.

dkime

WKR
Shoot them an email and they will transfer your license

Zac

WKR
Why?

I don't mind spending a little extra money but those IW collars are a little crazy. $85 us to my door so that will be over $120 my CDN dollars. Just cannot justify that cost.

Also, what will the Iron Will gain over the stainless Ethics?
I've used both Ethics and IW, IW survive these type of impacts due to the collar being a looser fit. Ethics splinters carbon with direct hits.

Attachments

• 20200523_152940.jpg
    20200523_152940.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 29

madkaw284

Lil-Rokslider
I've used both Ethics and IW, IW survive these type of impacts due to the collar being a looser fit. Ethics splinters carbon with direct hits.

Ethics went through steel ratchet strap buckle, arrow still spins and shoots true.
8dde0b2aa725219dd33b99030dbcb740.jpg

Zac

WKR
I know Ethics is durable, the difference is the IW collar sits lower on the shaft so there isn't the leverage issue that gets imparted on the half out collar system during a hard impact. Also if you sand the shaft your getting a very hard connection. There isn't any wiggle room for the carbon. The shaft I broke with Ethics was a Day 6. Much more durable shaft than my Axis arrows with IW collars. Both will do just fine on animals, however I save more overall shafts with IW system.

madkaw284

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never used them, but the IW system does look like a very strong setup. I just couldn’t do it because I like shooting my .166 shafts and don’t want to switch all points and broadheads over to deep six stuff.

Marble

WKR
do you use an adapter for broadheads?
I just use the broadhead adapter ring, BAR #6 for 300s, and they work well. The threads are standard 8/32 so any regular broadhead will work. Plenty strong.

You can practice with fieldpoints and no collar (they weigh 5 grains) and then put on broadheads with collar.

I do it this way because the ring makes it more difficult to pull arrows out of targets and beats up my target.

And they are cheap. Like $10 for a dozen.

nphunter

WKR
I would use arrow two, remember at 27” you have to allow for another 1” of collar on your arrow so the footer doesn’t hit the rest when at full draw. I’m not sure you could get away with a 26” arrow with a 29.5” draw?

Also IMO if your going to go through the effort to build an arrow with a footer used the brass and stainless footer. Having all aluminum up front seems silly if your trying to build a strong arrow. The ethics SS are the same price asthe aluminum it looks like but 40gr.

At your specs I would cut your arrow to 28”, use the 50gr brass and 40gr SS ethics and it will be in the green a little on the stiff side .268 dynamic. This will give you a very strong arrow you will be right at 285fps still and 555gr ish with epoxy and glue. I just build this same arrow with the 300 match grade and IW collars and am very happy with the arrow.

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
I would use arrow two, remember at 27” you have to allow for another 1” of collar on your arrow so the footer doesn’t hit the rest when at full draw. I’m not sure you could get away with a 26” arrow with a 29.5” draw?

Also IMO if your going to go through the effort to build an arrow with a footer used the brass and stainless footer. Having all aluminum up front seems silly if your trying to build a strong arrow. The ethics SS are the same price asthe aluminum it looks like but 40gr.

At your specs I would cut your arrow to 28”, use the 50gr brass and 40gr SS ethics and it will be in the green a little on the stiff side .268 dynamic. This will give you a very strong arrow you will be right at 285fps still and 555gr ish with epoxy and glue. I just build this same arrow with the 300 match grade and IW collars and am very happy with the arrow.

Just put my order in before I read this, Axis match 260 cut at 28" from the throat of the nock. About to order the 30-grain ss ethics and i will use the brass HIT. Like you said, I think this is going to be a super-strong arrow flying at good speeds.

Thanks, everyone