What brake for 300 win mag?

Muzzle brakes and more, apa, terminator. Any should work great.

The above brakes have plenty of rearward angle to the ports. Options with 90 degree ports will not reduce recoil as much.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/06/24/muzzle-brakes-field-test/

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/21/muzzle-brake-summary-of-field-test-results/

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/07/muzzle-brakes-sound-test/

I found these articles to be extremely useful in determining the effectiveness of any brake design that I've looked at. They didn't test all of the brakes mentioned in this thread but they tested a good variety of styles that should translate well to any brake you find and any brake mentioned in this thread.

Reading this post surprises me. The Terminator line of brakes sold by Bertram brass are light, probably the most effective out there, and they do not direct percussion back to the shooter. They come in variety of sizes and calibers and they even make a self timing unit. They are tuff and the baffles stay put. I have seen some of the others mentioned in this thread drop baffles. I sure don't want a baffle across my bullet path on my custom rifle. I have been running a T5 Terminator on my big 375 (150 gr of 50 BMG) since I built it. There is a reason the Terminator T5 is the most used brake in ELR. The Terminator T3 will be the brake I use on my 300 HCM too. The T3 would be a great brake for the 300 win mag. Here is where you can get one. https://bertrambrass.com/product-category/muzzle-brakes/

That definitely looks like a pretty effective brake but I don't see how it doesn't direct percussion back to the shooter. The more effective a brake is, the more it directs the gasses to the rear.

Two similarly designed muzzle brakes that were tested, the APA Gen 2 Fat bastard and the Alamo Four star, can be found in the articles provided above. You can see that those types of muzzle brakes increase the sound level by over 8x that of a bare rifle and are louder than any other brakes. This tells me that these styles of brakes direct the most percussion backwards out of any brake design.

If you wanted a style of brake that does not direct percussion backwards, you will have to trade-off recoil reduction and go with a style that has 90 degree ports like wind gyspy mentioned.

Broz

WKR

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/21/muzzle-brake-summary-of-field-test-results/

I found these articles to be extremely useful in determining the effectiveness of any brake design that I've looked at. They didn't test all of the brakes mentioned in this thread but they tested a good variety of styles that should translate well to any brake you find and any brake mentioned in this thread.

That definitely looks like a pretty effective brake but I don't see how it doesn't direct percussion back to the shooter. The more effective a brake is, the more it directs the gasses to the rear.

Two similarly designed muzzle brakes that were tested, the APA Gen 2 Fat bastard and the Alamo Four star, can be found in the articles provided above. You can see that those types of muzzle brakes increase the sound level by over 8x that of a bare rifle and are louder than any other brakes. This tells me that these styles of brakes direct the most percussion backwards out of any brake design.

If you wanted a style of brake that does not direct percussion backwards, you will have to trade-off recoil reduction and go with a style that has 90 degree ports like wind gyspy mentioned.
Maybe I did a poor job of explaining my point. What I can tell you is these brakes (Terminator) even when used on my 375 Cheytac Improved, offer NO felt percussion to the shooter. The worst at this I can compare it to is the Vais radial muzzle brake. Off bench or prone, they are the very worst I have used at delivering felt percussion to the shooter. I do not argue that with reduced recoil comes higher noise decibels

Maybe I did a poor job of explaining my point. What I can tell you is these brakes (Terminator) even when used on my 375 Cheytac Improved, offer NO felt percussion to the shooter. The worst at this I can compare it to is the Vais radial muzzle brake. Off bench or prone, they are the very worst I have used at delivering felt percussion to the shooter. I don't know why because they are radial design, so there must be more to it than baffle angle. I do not argue that with reduced recoil comes higher noise decibels, I agree. What I was referring to was simply what the shooter feels. Thanks

Nathan did a very thorough comparison to his brake against many of the top brands on the market. He may have added a few more to his list but I believe the only brake to best his was the terminator and it wasnt by much.. to me, it wasnt worth another $100. So I went with a muzzle brakes and more

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I currently had my sako a7 in 300 win mag threaded and am curious as to which muzzle brake is recommended. I don’t want to get into I like brakes, I hate brakes! I know the advantages and disadvantages and want to try it out for myself. This will be used for hunting mostly and some target. Thanks
MBM in Idaho,good stuff.....

Maybe I did a poor job of explaining my point. What I can tell you is these brakes (Terminator) even when used on my 375 Cheytac Improved, offer NO felt percussion to the shooter. The worst at this I can compare it to is the Vais radial muzzle brake. Off bench or prone, they are the very worst I have used at delivering felt percussion to the shooter. I don't know why because they are radial design, so there must be more to it than baffle angle. I do not argue that with reduced recoil comes higher noise decibels, I agree. What I was referring to was simply what the shooter feels. Thanks

That makes sense. I assumed that you would feel more percussion as the sound is directed back at the shooter but you brought up a good point about there potentially being other factors. That's an interesting experience with the vais radial brake. That makes me think you can't really determine felt percussion by measured sound at the shooters position then. Thanks for sharing that.

Now I am wondering " Does anyone even look at the quality of the machine work on brakes" There is no comparison on some to others. Usually related to price too.

Most people don’t even know what tool marks are.... if brakes are showing poor tooling marks there’s really no excuse for it, especially with how they’ve made.

With that said it’s a moot factor when their getting OD turned and blended (and cerakoted as well most the time). Any tooling marks on the outside (which I don’t see on the MBM brakes) can and should be cleaned up by the builder. I’ve also measured runout on the last baffle on the 5 ports to less than .0002” on the MBM pieces as well.

I’ve only ever had one brake that had a terrible OD finish and that’s because the manufacturer didn’t bother to take a cleanup pass on the OD from the raw 1” bar stock material they were using.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broz

WKR
Most people don’t even know what tool marks are.... if brakes are showing poor tooling marks there’s really no excuse for it, especially with how they’ve made.

With that said it’s a moot factor when their getting OD turned and blended (and cerakoted as well most the time). Any tooling marks on the outside (which I don’t see on the MBM brakes) can and should be cleaned up by the builder. I’ve also measured runout on the last baffle on the 5 ports to less than .0002” on the MBM pieces as well.

I’ve only ever had one brake that had a terrible OD finish and that’s because the manufacturer didn’t bother to take a cleanup pass on the OD from the raw 1” bar stock material they were using.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike, it was inside I was referring to and the front on some looks like crap. I will pay more for the quality Thanks.

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
Using Badger thruster on my 300 WM Sendero, and on my 300 WM long range custom.
No complaints, but I've shot the cartridge for decades without one. I can spend all day behind either rifle, shooting full house loads pushing 215 gr Berger EH. Recoil experience is entirely personal, what's acceptable for one person may still be too much for another.
Recoil feels about like a 308 to me.

I have an APA Fat Bastard Gen 2 on one of my 338 LM.
If you are recoil sensitive, I'd say this brake plus weight of your rifle (if it's 15 pounds+) will make it feel about like a 243 or 308. Just an unscientific guess.

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
I currently had my sako a7 in 300 win mag threaded and am curious as to which muzzle brake is recommended. I don’t want to get into I like brakes, I hate brakes! I know the advantages and disadvantages and want to try it out for myself. This will be used for hunting mostly and some target. Thanks
Beast Brakes or Piercision - Both are excellent. Recommend 4 or 5 port brakes to get best results out of the 300.

I think with the factors you have put out there, 300 win and a factory barrel, the terminator t2 or the t3 would do everything you want. The t2 will be closer to barrel diameter and will deffinetly tame the 300 win, the t3 will be a little more knobby looking, but will reduce the recoil just a bit more than the t2.

I took a t1 on a factory tika barrel re chambered to 6.5 wsm and was pushing the 129 lr accubond at 3500 fps to torture the brass and to see what i could hit and that gun didnt recoil any more than a 223. The muzzle blast was pretty crazy, but for recoil next to none, same with my 338 snipetac pushing 285 eld at 3330 with the t4 brake, a pleasure to shoot.

Aroy

FNG
I had a holland on my 300rum. Great break for recoil reduction but my ears hated it lol. I feel like it’s a give and take between noise and recoil reduction. Id definitely look at something with 360 ports vs the holland I had before

Bsnyder

WKR
I'm having a Holland put on a 300 wsm now gun should be back in 4.5 weeks not that I'm counting