What Bullet for Sabot Legal Ibex?

TX_Diver

WKR
I have a muzzleloader ibex tag in NM and just realized I can shoot sabots.

Last year I killed a mule deer with a hornady boredriver 290ftx and it died quickly, but idk that a smaller animal would have initiated expansion as well (pure conjecture but still a concern In my mind). I have more of those and some of the 340 eldx bore driver, but they are expensive and I’m open to shooting something In a sabot if it’s a better option.

Ibex are like whitetail doe size or maybe even smaller so I would like some good terminal performance and am not really worried about penetration.

Would a lehigh CF be worth looking at? Or something else?

Shooting a knight Vision freedom which is a 24” 1:28 barrel. Planning on T7 with a 209 primer (also have the setup to use percussion caps too though if that’d be better).

Flat shooting also important. I assume shots are going to need to be sub 200 yards.

considering they are small, I would go with whatever you shoot best. I don’t think whether it’s a 290 or 340 matters over accuracy.

I don’t think so either. Was more curious if I’d gain something by going to a saboted load over the CO legal bullets

Really the only major thing you would gain by going with a sabot would be the ability to shoot smaller, lighter bullets. If your gun shoots the CO legal load accurately, I dont know that I would try changing it.

A smaller, lighter bullet would help with flatter shooting.

If you want to switch it up, buy a couple different options and give them a try. You can even get into buying different sabots and using whatever bullet you want.

Back