What caliber for your 9 year old daughter?

See? That's the downside of not having a culture of child soldiers. We'd be screwed if Sierra Leone decided to invade. It's like AKs were designed around malnourished 10 year olds........ :D
I'm not going to lie, this made me laugh out loud at work. Got a couple of what's wrong with you stares. Good times.

Esse quam videri

Lawnboi

WKR
Another plus for a tikka, you can get a big ol tactical bolt handle and stick it on there. Makes cycling the bolt much easier for more petite individuals, my wife appreciates the larger handle.

Tuscaoka

WKR
Got 3 boys. 2-7-8 yrs old the 7/8 yr old have killed 6 deer together with 223 ar I’ve been blown away with how lethal it’s been. It is kinda bulky and a bit noisy if not careful. Also have a youth 700 243 and even with low recoil loads it’s a little much for them.
have fun with it!

Second the 6.5 Grendel. Just bought a 20” stainless build kit from PSA to shoot with my 8 year old daughter. Put it in an Aero Precision lower. The retractable stock is perfect so we can both shoot it and building an AR with the kids is like legos for a grown ass man.

The 17 round clip is perfect for blasting coyotes out back. Very little kick and legit 500 yard gun that’d smoke small and mid sized game.

OneRingTrTa

Lil-Rokslider
I have four children that all hunt, with my kids I went with the theory that a small caliber in the right spot was much better than a larger caliber in the wrong spot. We used a 22-250 on deer and went up to a 243 when they could handle it. Here in central Montana the 243 is used quite often on elk and quite successfully, I agree that its on the small side and draw the line at 25 calibers for elk, my last bull was shot with a 25 caliber wildcat that is just slightly faster than a 25-06, 115 partition worked perfectly, DRT.

Lately I have been playing with a 6.5x55 and if I were to start all over again and start new I would have gotten a 6.5x55 for my kids, great caliber kills way out of proportion to it size. load it with 140 partitions at 2600-2800 fps and it will do the job quite nicely with minimal recoil and great penetration. If the 140 proved to have to much recoil I would step down to the 125 partition.

OP
TNHunter

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m happy to report that she has found her first rifle... Ruger American stainless bolt chambered in .223... we searched high and low in Nashville/middle TN area and finally found a lefty in a compact size... (lefty’s are hard to find as I’ve learned).... thanks to Franklin Gun Shop for having it in stock... I looked at several but she said “Dad... this is the one for me...” Ya just know when the right one comes along ...
Thanks to all you helped with this wonderful process... it’s just a special moment in life that I get to share with my kids... she is super excited and I am too... good luck this seasons and God bless

a281e5a064215cc095eeb53f7cf0656c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m happy to report that she has found her first rifle... Ruger American stainless bolt chambered in .223... we searched high and low in Nashville/middle TN area and finally found a lefty in a compact size... (lefty’s are hard to find as I’ve learned).... thanks to Franklin Gun Shop for having it in stock... I looked at several but she said “Dad... this is the one for me...” Ya just know when the right one comes along ...
Thanks to all you helped with this wonderful process... it’s just a special moment in life that I get to share with my kids... she is super excited and I am too... good luck this seasons and God bless

a281e5a064215cc095eeb53f7cf0656c.jpg

Looks like a winner! Even better that she picked it out!

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
So I have a 10 year old boy and a 13 year old girl. They just both shot deer with a .243. I loaded some rounds that were really reduced recoil. I used 30 grains of H4895 powder and an 80 grain bullet. It was really slow. Like 2700 FPS. My daughter shot her doe at 203 yards and my boy shot his at 75 yards. Both died really fast and were hit where they needed to get hit. The recoil is really, really mild and they enjoy shooting the guns. One of the guns is a wood stock savage that is a bit shorter to fit my daughter and the other gun is a remington 700 with a shorter stock also.

I was worried about the slower velocity and longer shot. She hit the deer in the shoulder. Deer went strait up and forward about 5 yards and went flop. The shoulder was jello and the bullet didn't exit but did turn the inside of the critter into liquid. Was a bit surprised at the damage and was happy to see the results.

OP
TNHunter

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
690e95b718f36cb9ded5a484431358cc.jpg
b7d2bbe4e3e3adfdaeef53a48edaea24.jpg
3c297a2f920b739acf7f6d903bfac24b.jpg

So we found a Ruger American.223 in a lefty and she knew immediately that was the first rifle for her. Happy daughter and proud daddy... thanks for all the input and even had a great fella offer his rifle while we searched... Rokslide has the best members

Michael54

WKR
Also wanna add you might wanna figure out an immunity to it lol that look is gonna cost you a fortune over the years lol

OP
TNHunter

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Also wanna add you might wanna figure out an immunity to it lol that look is gonna cost you a fortune over the years lol

Thanks for the wonderful comments... and yeah... daddy’s little Warrior-Princess already has figured out how to work on that angle...it’s only money I say... just glad that she loves the outdoors and hunting and fishing with dad...