What do you run in your elk pack???

Article 4

WKR
ITS ONLY 6 months to elk season!!!! Many of us will be getting drawn in home states and away...lots of training and hikes to do with some scouting too. I pretty much run what I am going to run in September elk season minus my bow kit and things. Here is my list....What do you run in your day pack?

Stone Glacier 3100 - waterproof cover - small 6x6 tarp. Full frame pack that can handle up to 150 lbs
Reed Calls, bugle tube, Licenses
Meat Bags, run antimicrobial in early season
FIRST AID KIT, full kit with pain meds and everything needed for most injuries
Water filter and 3 liters of water
2 knives, Bear Spray and 10mm Glock with Buffalo Boar Ammunition (not pictured)
2 headlamps and batts
50' of 550 cord, marking tape, wind checkers
Waterproof firestarter kit and extra lighters and matches
Binos, and during the season a kestrel and/or rangefinder depending on season
TP and bathroom kit, cause well - ya know
Xtra pair of socks and boot laces
Not pictured - rain gear and Hi cal food/snacks (I really like bacon and peanut butter bagels with lots of nuts and dried fruit)

Interested to know what everyone else will be running???

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 1.42.37 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 1.42.37 PM.jpeg
    693.3 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
Same as above, but I add snacks and 2 freeze dried meals and a metal cup/spork to boil water. If I tag out late and have to stay the night I at least have a warm meal. I would rather pack out in the light then fight the terrain with a flashlight and all that weight.

rambo2345

WKR
If I am truck camping, I try to go as light as possible. Water, snacks, calls, releases, knife, bags, cord. Thats about it. Bino and range finder in pocket or on straps.

Exo K4 5000
2.5-3L Water bladder
CNOC 2l dirty bag and sawyer squeeze
Anker 10000 with USB-C and iPhone cables
Compass
Leatherman
Whistle
Inreach
Several diaphragm calls and one external reed
Bugle tube
Game bags
Outdoor edge EDC plus 3 extra blades
Lighter
Waterproof matches
Ferro rod
Vasoline soaked cotton balls
Extra pair of socks
Wool gloves
Inflatable seat or foam seat (may switch to Matty McMat face)
Warbonnet Ground Tarp and stakes
Trekking poles
First aid kit (steri strips, tick remover, finger nail clippers, gauze, super glue, ibuprofen, Zyrtec)
Snacks
Headlamp and backup headlamp
I’ve started bringing my 750ml titanium pot and 1oz stove and making peak refuels for lunch as I don’t usually have a big appetite in the evening.
Rain jacket
Stopped bringing my puffy which I almost never used and started bringing my quilt as it’s only 6 ounces more and can cover my entire body for a nap when it’s cold.
Spare D-loop string and spare release
Toilet paper
Wet wipes
Monkey butt powder
Hand sanitizer
Tripod
Bino harness
Binos
Range finder
Bear spray

Might be missing a thing or two but that should do it. Seems like a lot but when all your training hikes are 80# or more, this is an inconsequential weight. I can also spend the night on the mountain in relative comfort if the hunt or an emergency dictated it. The tarp especially gets used almost every day when those showers roll through and can hold four people and gear.

Djacker

WKR
12oz water, water filter, 4 game bags, some snacks, a lighter, rain gear, a little electrical tape, couple paper towels and 2 rubber gloves, license, a knife and 4 extra blades. No need for anything else besides my weapon. KISS

12oz water, water filter, 4 game bags, some snacks, a lighter, rain gear, a little electrical tape, couple paper towels and 2 rubber gloves, license, a knife and 4 extra blades. No need for anything else besides my weapon. KISS
Is there water all over where you hunt? I drink at least 2.5 liters per day. Even if you only drink 1.5-2, that’s filtering like four times a day. I can’t remember a single day elk hunting 4-5 units in two states where I found more than two decent water sources where I was hunting.

Axlrod

WKR
Same as above, but I add snacks and 2 freeze dried meals and a metal cup/spork to boil water. If I tag out late and have to stay the night I at least have a warm meal. I would rather pack out in the light then fight the terrain with a flashlight and all that weight.
I been at this a while. But if we got something (tag out) all we needed was matches for a hot meal. Elk heart and liver on sticks cooked over the fire.