What does your daypack weigh?

Day pack and bino harness, rifle not included. Assume you are all day, solo elk hunting in typical rifle season, mountain terrain. Food, water, layers, kill kit, all in....

I was pretty surprised that my day set up weighs about 28 pounds. Seems heavy.

wyodan

WKR
I'm right there in the same boat, plus add my rifle in. It's funny, because my overnighter or two dayer in the summer also weighs 28 lbs.

• Banned
OP
zion zig zag
I'm right there in the same boat, plus add my rifle in. It's funny, because my overnighter or two dayer in the summer also weighs 28 lbs.
That's what surprised me. I can go 2-3 nights summer backpacking at the same weight.

hobbes

WKR
I don't really know. I dropped a little weight by going from an older MR Metcalf with NICE frame that I used for everything to a Kifaru 14r and have liked the change. However, water is the killer, at least at the start of the day. 2 liters is roughly 4.5lbs every day of the week.

Last edited:

Gerbdog

WKR
I can take a 15 lb day pack with water and kill kit etc.... but..... i just take my full sized kifaru and cinch it down small, those extra 9ish lbs are worth it so that first load out is at least a quarter and some random pieces

amassi

WKR
18# and change but I no longer pack a spotter or big binos. So that saved me quite a bit

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hooverfb

Lil-Rokslider
12-15 lbs depending on water. I'm not a big snacker though, and only eat morning/dinner. This was for mule deer, not elk though. Will see how it goes for me on elk this year.

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
Just weighed mine as I haven't unpacked. With 3.0 liters of water, kill kit, space blanket, food for the day (2 bobo bars), first aid kit, bugle, calls, radio, and dark energy battery pack I come in at 18.0 lbs with a compressed Seek Outside Saker.