what exped pad ?

Jacack

WKR
looking for a new pad, love my exped outfitter for by the truck camping and looking to replace a old BA pad that i hike in with. anyone have any ones they really like or disliked?

strickly for backpacking in with. looking at the synmat 7 but also the down mat i guess. will be used mostly sept archery but possible for early nov rifle deer.

I've had a Exped for many years, the Syn 7 in lg/long. Its a little heavier that some others but if you check them you will see its because Exped builds these with a little bit more durable fabric...thus the extra weight...worth it IMO. From all of the different pads I've seen, Exped and Thermarest are tops in the category.

I'm a side sleeper and its very comfortable....best to run it a little under inflated.

My syn 7 with a 20 deg down bag is good to about 10-15 deg and then I start to feel the cold seeping through the pad. In my Synthetic bag I don't feel the cold through the pad. I generally prefer a down bag so in those cold conditions I put a waffle matt under the pad.

I diluted some silicone bathroom sealer and painted some stripes on my pad so I don't slide....one every foot or so...and a couple stripes down the sides.

Sierra Trading Post has Exped DownMat 7s on sale right now for a good price. I've had one in the large/long size for a few years and it is a comfortable, warm and quiet pad. I have used it in Montana for September through late October backpack hunts and winter camping. It isn't ultralight but it is definitely packable and so much quieter than the Thermarest Xtherm and I think a bit more comfortable.

X2 on the Synmat 7. I’ve had great luck with that pad over the last couple years. Came from a Big Agnes q core and I think the exped is more comfortable. For a lighter option I picked up a big Agnes Q core SLX and that’s been a good pad especially for the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For myself I am going lighter on my sleep system for backpack hunting in September. I am already carrying a heavier backpack for meat hauling, kill kit and a little bit of glass. For myself R4.9 is overkill for September but if you need that much insulation Therm-a-rest neoair Xtherm comes in at 15 oz. If you don't need the extra insulation then the usual ultralight suspects from Therm-a-rest, Seatosummit or Nemo will fill the bill.

I am using Therm-a-rest xlite but am considering moving to a non-inflatable because inflatable pads eventually fail.

I spent 40 nights last year testing differing pads -- Downmat 7, Synmat UL, Sea to summit comfort lite and the sea to summit ultralite insultated. The Synmat was the best of both world -- comfort and warmth. I used it with a WM apache 15 degree bag.

Just a fyi; Sierra Trading has the downmat 7 for 139, synmat 7 for 89. Both are eligible for free shipping. Just ordered the synmat for myself.

I have the synmat 7 and I also have it in the sleeve cover they sell. I never even take it out. I roll it all up and fold it over once and cram it in a 10L dry bag and in the pack it goes.

Back