What groups are most effective advocating for public lands?

Cowbell

WKR
The more I hunt public land, the more I am concerned that my 3 young boys wont get to enjoy the same hunts that I have enjoyed. I'm scared that today will be "the good ol days" in 10 years. I am a rancher who sees other ranchers abusing public land. I see outfitters who are profiting off a diminishing natural resource and that concerns me. I see habitat being destroyed by poor management decisions. I can give examples for days, but that's not why I'm here.
What private groups are the most effective at advocating for proper use of public lands and the protection of our rights as hunters? I would like to get more involved myself.

OP
C

Cowbell

WKR
Rocky mountain Elk foundation seems to be a good one. I'm a member and I get emails pretty frequent about the foundation procuring more public land and easement to public land.
I'm an active member and so far this group is the best I've found, though I spend much more time mule deer hunting.

def90

WKR
RMEF, I’ve heard the TRCP is supposed to good but haven’t dove in to them yet. Was a member of BHA for a short period of time but didn’t have the correct beard/mustache combo nor was a microbrew drinker.

mtnkid85

WKR
Backcountry hunters and anglers and Montana Wildlife Federation are both leading the fight here in Montana. Often their employees are the only ones commenting at commission meetings and legislature.

Rmef does a good job of what they are good at, acquiring access to land. But they have been surprisingly silent on some real important issues in Montana lately.

What state are you in?

Turkeys for Tomorrow is another new group coming up that seems promising. They’re mostly aimed at trying to save the wild turkey. It’s interesting I see the same kind of post about public land on old gobbler. A lot of the guys over there think it’s just a YouTube/turkey hunting problem but I know all y’all western guys have been dealing with these same public land issues for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
Backcountry hunters and anglers and Montana Wildlife Federation are both leading the fight here in Montana. Often their employees are the only ones commenting at commission meetings and legislature.

Rmef does a good job of what they are good at, acquiring access to land. But they have been surprisingly silent on some real important issues in Montana lately.

What state are you in?
RMEF seems to do basically nothing anymore in my home state except fund raise for national. My local chapter seems to be a social club for local rich guys to show off to each other. I went to one banquet and was blown away by the number of people I saw that were heavily involved that I knew had serious wildlife violations. Never again. Seems they could save a ton of money if they stopped sending so many mailers

Beendare

WKR
More and more Hunter issues are becoming political- sad but true. I support SCI as they have a whole legislative and legal wing that is very active. They lobby at a high level before some of these crazy negatives become law….and they sue to protect hunting. They have a lot of horsepower at that level.…where few of these smaller groups do.

Hunter rights are their focus not specifically ‘land’ but if we have no rights having land means nothing.

We have seen it many times now, hunters saying, “ Bah humbug, they will never take away hunts here” until they do.

Scorpion

WKR

What state are you in?
This is an interesting take. Can you be more specific as to what issues they have been quiet on?

RMEF, NWTF, and SCI.

Public lands aren’t going away. Don’t let the fear mongering persuade you to accept less for supposed representation. Mismanagement of public lands is the problem. It’s coming in the name of green energy. Which could become the leading threat to these public lands.

The biggest issue with abuse of public lands lays at the feet of the ranchers. They are sold grazing rights. Which I think is a good idea. Yet, they treat that property as their own. Often leaving their stock in place much longer into hunting seasons then the lease provides for in some instances.

Public lands have rules in which they must be managed. None just get thrown into the fire. Everyone has a required public input time frame. And, there are protocols in place if there is abuse involved in that management plan. For every single American citizen.

I’m not saying it’s not important to stay on top of the situation involving the pimping of the resources these lands offer. However, there is a slight of hand at play here. The BHA is likely a good resource to represent hunters, on a local level. However their National office is nothing more then a Political tool. I know this because good land management isn’t based on politics. Yet, everything the BHA does nationally is based on politics.

My only concern with the TRCP is they seem to preach conservation while advocating preservation. And, the guy running the show wasn’t much of a hunter when I watched him interviewed. Not saying the agency is t legit. But, the biggest red flag in the world is talking conservation while practicing preservation. Time will tell on them.

Good luck. Get involved. Heck, start a hunter driven group and I’ll join. Most of us here would too.

Legend

WKR

What state are you in?
I agree. RMEF has avoided taking any position on really dangerous elk hunting legislation that was proposed. They were more worried about protecting their donors than elk or elk hunting for the public.

RMEF gets a hard No from me and Montana.

Btaylor

WKR
I think it is important to first understand the mission of any perspective advocacy group before you try to determine their effectiveness or their appropriateness for your contributions/membership/support. If your main interest is waterfowling it prolly doesnt make much sense for you go all in with RMEF because they are never going to prioritize your interest. Read the mission statement, meet the local member's and if it lines up for you join and actually get involved.

Mtnboy

WKR
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the MeatEater Land Access Initiative yet, seems like the exact kinda thing most Roksliders would get behind.

mtnkid85

WKR
This is an interesting take. Can you be more specific as to what issues they have been quiet on?
Namely hb505, sb143 and hb637 in the legislature and then complete radio silence at the commission meetings that codified lengthening of shoulder seasons and the expansion of shoulder seasons onto public and handing out landowner bull tags.

Mtnboy

WKR
Namely hb505, sb143 and hb637 in the legislature and then complete radio silence at the commission meetings that codified lengthening of shoulder seasons and the expansion of shoulder seasons onto public and handing out landowner bull tags.
Does that really surprise anybody though?

RMEF is a great organization and they have done a ton for Elk and access all across the country but they aren't going to get into anything too 'Controversial'....especially if it could have negative consequences to their bottom line. They have a lot of payroll to cover.....

BHA, TRCP, and orgs similar to Montana Wildlife Federation in other states.

Hard to support BHA absolutely with Land Tawney at the helm and some of the questionable partners but I don't know of any others who have raised awareness on public land issues nearly as much as BHA. Unfortunately in these days of Tribalism, all the good is tied to the bad by people too tied to their politcal Tribe to think objectively.

RMEF does great work but they have been silent on issues degrading the quality of public land hunting in MT and elsewhere.