What happens to EXO ?

Rob5589

WKR
I think there are better packs - they do a great job marketing and sponsoring youtube shows. They really screwed up and switched from titanium to aluminum for a hot minute and had some fall out before going back to titanium.

My new KUIU with the new designed bags and suspension is a way better pack imo and handles weight better.

IMO - KUIU, SG and Kifaru are top tier and then the rest, including exo.
I have to say, I've never seen anyone put a Kuiu pack in the same category as Kifaru, or most of the top brands. They must have made some serious strides. Where are they made, if you know that is?

I have to say, I've never seen anyone put a Kuiu pack in the same category as Kifaru, or most of the top brands. They must have made some serious strides. Where are they made, if you know that is?
Their new bags and suspension are the real deal. Somebody here on Rokslide put all the top packs through the ringer and KUIU finished at the top. Its a 2 part video. Should be able to find it with the search function. Their bag designs are awesome. I have had over 100lbs on it a few times and it was more comfortable than I thought it would be.

Pretty sure their frames are made in USA. Not sure about suspension and bags.

87TT

WKR
I just looked at the KUIU site and the carbon fiber frame looks the same as the one on the pack I sold. Once I tried on the EXO with weight in it at their shop, I never looked back at the KUIU and tried to give it away to family and eventually sold it to help finance my second EXO.

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
I just looked at the KUIU site and the carbon fiber frame looks the same as the one on the pack I sold. Once I tried on the EXO with weight in it at their shop, I never looked back at the KUIU and tried to give it away to family and eventually sold it to help finance my second EXO.

I’m no pack expert but I got a newer kuiu too and the few trips I’ve taken with it I couldn’t tell it was there. I did a lot of research before deciding to try them out.

From my understanding in 2019 they did a big change over. They kept the carbon frame but replaced the entire suspension and upgraded the bags. At least what I understood the suspension was the major flaw of packs of past.

I was between exo and kuiu but $200 cheaper pack meant putting that money into a better scope.

My dad owned a Kuiu split carbon frame 6000 ultra. I convinced him to buy it and have never felt worse about suggesting a purchase in my life. Legitimately one of the worst backpacks I’ve ever had to deal with and would never put another dollar into their packs. If their new system is as good as you all are saying it is then maybe it’s worth another look, but without a new frame i would highly doubt that. I could bend the top of the frame several inches just by tightening the load lifters on my dads Kuiu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
I liked the KUIU and used it for two years. It did have an annoying squeak but fit and carried a normal day or so worth of weight. Since I live here in Idaho, when I was down in Boise I stopped at EXO just to see what they looked like. They talked me into trying one on with sand bags/. I walked around the store while we talked and swapped hunting stories. I ended up with a K2 3500 when I left. I'm glad the KUIU is working for you guys that have it but no thanks for me. Only thing better than their packs are the people.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Seek also finished in the top. Kifaru did not. Hard to use that review alone to justify saying other bags are less. Much of that review is based on one person's preference, which has a lot to do with body shape.

If we are going to base it on that review, than Kuiu, Sitka, SG, and Seek are the top tier, and than the rest, including Kifaru. But I don't buy that.

Seek also finished in the top. Kifaru did not. Hard to use that review alone to justify saying other bags are less. Much of that review is based on one person's preference, which has a lot to do with body shape.

If we are going to base it on that review, than Kuiu, Sitka, SG, and Seek are the top tier, and than the rest, including Kifaru. But I don't buy that.

I don’t disagree. But some of the tests like the water resistance have nothing to do with fit. I just think people have been sleeping on KUIU’s new stuff. I know there old suspension had some problems. Good for KUIU for listening and making an improved product. I think they are some of the lightest packs out there as well, especially if you go with their new LT series bags.

Lowg08

WKR
I believe all how they fit the individual. Luckily I had a friend that had a Kifaru to try on. I even tried a horn hunter. I ended up with a stone glacier x curve frame due to the curve in my back. My back is curved like a silver back gorilla.

wekilldeer

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience with the newest gen KUIU but I did run the original ICON 5200 for a few years. It was my first "real" pack and I liked it. The KUIU hauled out tons of deer and elk never failed me in the field. The bag layout was decent and had pockets everywhere, however, when I compressed it into a dayback there was still floppy fabric but I didnt care all that much. One day, I was inspecting my pack and noticed several fractures in the carbon frame and in other places the carbon fiber was beginning to de-laminate. It was then I decided to stay away from carbon fiber frames. I now run an EXO 4800 and it has been great. Better build quality, compresses better, easier load shelf access, USA made, Great CS, and a titanium frame. Glad I made the purchase because I feel that this pack will stick with me for a long, long, time

Beendare

WKR
It's probably hard to go wrong with a Kifaru, EXO, or Stone Glacier. Try them all if need be, and choose the one that fits you and your needs best. I've tried all three and still have my original SG. That's the nice thing about a 30 day trial period, and all three have that. I'd throw Seek Outside in there as well. I tried one of those too.
5 miles nailed the way to use these gear forums;

Compile a list of the top candidates and then check them out yourself.

If you are just talleying the stats, ‘more guys like XXX product‘ then you were going about it wrong and here is why. Many guys that are very satisfied with the product will never chime in. It’s a fact that the stats are approximately 5 to 1 complaints versus satisfied customers. it’s simple human nature.

Then there are the Shills, err pro staff. The Internet forums are ripe with many of these Pushing products. It’s crazy how easy it is to buy some folks off.

One glaring example; Dudley with the HECS system.

These days, give a guy a couple packs of broadheads and he will sing your praises hundreds of times on the Internet.

Last edited:
I had a kuiu for several years and didn't hate it. Then, I tried my neighbor's kifaru and didn't love it. About that time, I bought a lightly used exo k3 on here and I like it more every time I use it.

I've never tried a stone glacier but would like to, just for comparison. Seek outside seems cool too. Sitka never appeared to make something that appealed to me.

Personally, all of the options on kifaru are a turn off to me. I like simple. A bag with a couple of pockets, some straps, and a sturdy belt. A few bells and whistles along the way is fine. Molle webbing, add-ons, different attachments, water bottle pockets, etc. are an easy pass for me.

The kuiu finally got the boot because I couldn't figure out how to reattach the bag to the frame/suspension. I took it off one time to wash blood out of it and had it jerry-rigged on there for a few years thereafter. Exo's attachment is simple, sturdy, and idiot proof. That's probably my biggest factor.

TheTone

WKR
Exo is currently at the top of my list for my next pack for when/if I get the go ahead from my wife. The bag designs fit really well with my style of hunting, some really good design ideas, great customer service when I’ve asked them questions and when I stopped in to try things on, and first hand recommendations from people I know and trust

The exo k2 3500 bag is my favorite bag on my kifaru frame. Love the exo bags , I haven't had my hands on an exo frame yet but I need to. Started with kifaru and then found stone glacier frames more comfortable. Really need to try an exo frame next

Last edited:

NYFarmer

FNG
There are so many pack s that will do more than we ever will ask for. Exo/Kifaru/stone glacier/mystery ranch. I’ve owned all these packs and have done week long trips in all sorts of weather and have hauled elk/deer out with all of them, a moose with the exo and none have left me wanting for more or mad/worried about quality. I could pick any of them and be happy. Customer service is the tipping point for me and all three are great. Aron from Kifaru is one of the coolest normal guys I know and has helped me out with random questions, let me try on some prototype packs back in the day and has always offered no nonsense advice. From exo, mark has bent over backwards with answering questions as well. I haven’t interacted with SG so can’t give any input there. So, for me I would put Kifaru first and exo second. I do wish exo would have a one piece belt, as that is the only thing that has me worried. But, it held up to my solo moose pack out just fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't have experience with the others but SG customer experience is great, when you call it is always someone very experienced with their packs and are very patient and thorough answering questions. As for the pack and frame, top tier and extremely comfortable. Plan to pickup a Kifaru in a few years after putting more miles on the SG. I think it's hard to go wrong with any of the top brands out there

I think there are better packs - they do a great job marketing and sponsoring youtube shows. They really screwed up and switched from titanium to aluminum for a hot minute and had some fall out before going back to titanium.

My new KUIU with the new designed bags and suspension is a way better pack imo and handles weight better.

IMO - KUIU, SG and Kifaru are top tier and then the rest, including exo.
Agreed. I believe Exo makes a better bag, but my Kuiu belt is way beefier then my brother's Exo. In the end though Aron and Kifaru have won me over and they will be my next bag after I run my 7000 into the ground.

Agreed. I believe Exo makes a better bag, but my Kuiu belt is way beefier then my brother's Exo. In the end though Aron and Kifaru have won me over and they will be my next bag after I run my 7000 into the ground.
How does the weight of the Kifaru compare to the KUIU?