What insect repellent in bear country

Naiche

FNG
Am planning a trip to the Wind Rivers next August. I have heard that the mosquitos are epic up there but I am concerned about mosquito repellent attracting grizzly bears. Anyone have suggestions on what repellent works but has the least bear attractive scent? This will be my first summer trip to big bear country.

grfox92

WKR
Am planning a trip to the Wind Rivers next August. I have heard that the mosquitos are epic up there but I am concerned about mosquito repellent attracting grizzly bears. Anyone have suggestions on what repellent works but has the least bear attractive scent? This will be my first summer trip to big bear country.
I've never heard of that. I'd imagine they would be more interested in the mountainhouse or granola bars in your bag.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

OP
N

Naiche

FNG
I have had several bad experiences with black bears even though I keep a clean camp-food hung 200 yards from the tent no scented items in the tent and no cooking near camp. I just want to be absolutely sure I'm not doing something dumb in grizzly country.

The winds are amazing. Late august the bugs weren’t bad for us. I heard July and early august they are next level

JCS271

FNG
In my experience the scent goes away pretty quickly even though the spray continues to work for many hours. Or you could always just try and suffer through with a bug head net.

Deadfall

WKR
I have had several bad experiences with black bears even though I keep a clean camp-food hung 200 yards from the tent no scented items in the tent and no cooking near camp. I just want to be absolutely sure I'm not doing something dumb in grizzly country.
Run a single wire electric fence about knee high around camp. big difference between black bears and grizzly bears. Blacks are like 5 yr olds. get into everything just because, no ryme or reason about it. Grizzly is like grandpa. they sit and ponder before making move. black bear don't give 2 fat craps about bad experiences with humans. They just keep coming. Typically grizzly is different. if Grizzly has a bad experience with human they stay away. atleast in lower 48.

Either way a single wire electric fence around camp will cure problems with both. Atleast if turned on.

Thermacells claim to be odor free. I know they work pretty well in mosquito country.

CJ19

WKR
i am yet to experience the species that enjoys smelling and is attracted to high concentrations of permethrin.

OP
N

Naiche

FNG
I know of a black bear that knocked over a five gallon bucket of latex paint and drank it. They know he consumed paint because they found his scat where he got the runs. The homeowner left the paint tracks on his driveway thinking it was cool. If they will drink paint I was thinking any unnatural scent might attract them. Maybe I'm being a big chicken. Idk.

Yoder

WKR
I look at bug spray like it's hot sauce for bugs. It just makes you taste a little spicy but they still bite you anyway.

Been around grizzly bears all my life, have never heard of bug spray being an attractant, seen them licking bear spray up after it was sprayed on an area, but your scent and the last meal you ate are going to be as easily smelled and could be an attractant. Don't worry about the bears, sometimes it makes no sense what attracts them, but follow the rules around food and camping and enjoy the experience.

grfox92

WKR
Do you know there have been many instances where casual campers spray this around their campsite as if it were a deterrent?
Some lady sprayed it on her baby a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Small plastic orange bottle of Bens 100% deet. Love when it mixes with sweat and runs into eyes and mouth. Ex Offico brand clothing makes hiking shirts that are mosquito bite proof-ish. They are quick dry too. Good in the pack for archery season. There are others who make anti bug clothing too.

High5

FNG
Thermocell for me. I avoid deet if possible, if it eats the plastic off my watch I don’t want it on my skin.

OP
N

Naiche

FNG
Thanks for the tips on the deet and permethrin clothing. Plus the laughs on the oc spray