2025 Alaska Bear Hunt Input?

Boltgun

FNG
I was discussing Alaska with my dad and telling him just what an adventure it was working there as a salmon fisherman years ago, and I realized that we need to make a hunt happen there just so he can experience it! We are after the experience and the trip, so the quarry is just the means to that end. I looked up OTC/easy draw Alaska hunts and was excited to see that black bear is a fairly easy tag to achieve, with reasonably high success rates.

As I start the planning process, I have a lot of questions. But I know a lot of FNG's start threads looking for the exact how-to playbook, so I'll start with what I'm NOT asking for:

-Not asking for your hunt units
-Not asking for where to find trophy black bears
-Not asking for you to do the research for me

I am hoping to find some general pointers so that I can research the right areas, methods, and seasons in order to put together a productive adventure for my dad. Some help on the following would be awesome:

-We are limited by work to hunts in August/September or possibly during March. Are we going to be able to make that timeframe work?
-I would love to find areas with high success rates, but the size and/or trophy quality of the bears is not much concern.
-We are meat hunters, so blueberry bears sound a lot more appetizing than rotten salmon bears. Is this more dependent on time of year, or on location?
-Is it better to charter a float plane and then use a raft/skiff, or float plane in and hunt on foot from a base camp?

Thanks in advance for the input! I'm certain there's lots of info I don't know, but the process has to start somewhere!

bmrfish

WKR
You might look at charter boat based hunts in Prince William Sound or southeast during spring. Or hike into the Kenai mountains in fall if you are in shape for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A march bear is going to be hard to find, I dont know if they are out that early in south east, but they won't be out anywhere else in ak at that time. If you dont want a salmon bear plan on hiking up into the alpine and look for bears eating blueberries.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Don’t waste your time in March. As far as the fall goes, you need to check the units restrictions for black bears.

I just returned from a PWS hunt and fell in love with it. No bear shot, but I did learn quite a bit.

Whizkid

FNG
I was discussing Alaska with my dad and telling him just what an adventure it was working there as a salmon fisherman years ago, and I realized that we need to make a hunt happen there just so he can experience it! We are after the experience and the trip, so the quarry is just the means to that end. I looked up OTC/easy draw Alaska hunts and was excited to see that black bear is a fairly easy tag to achieve, with reasonably high success rates.

As I start the planning process, I have a lot of questions. But I know a lot of FNG's start threads looking for the exact how-to playbook, so I'll start with what I'm NOT asking for:

-Not asking for your hunt units
-Not asking for where to find trophy black bears
-Not asking for you to do the research for me

I am hoping to find some general pointers so that I can research the right areas, methods, and seasons in order to put together a productive adventure for my dad. Some help on the following would be awesome:

-We are limited by work to hunts in August/September or possibly during March. Are we going to be able to make that timeframe work?
-I would love to find areas with high success rates, but the size and/or trophy quality of the bears is not much concern.
-We are meat hunters, so blueberry bears sound a lot more appetizing than rotten salmon bears. Is this more dependent on time of year, or on location?
-Is it better to charter a float plane and then use a raft/skiff, or float plane in and hunt on foot from a base camp?

Thanks in advance for the input! I'm certain there's lots of info I don't know, but the process has to start somewhere!
Thanks for asking these questions, I need the answers too

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
You have almost no chance in March. To find berry bears in the fall you will want to hunt subalpine and higher so being fit is important. MeatEater has an episode you should watch, titled the Sweetest Meat.

The type of hunt you want will dictate time and area. Tidal flat spot and stalk in the spring can be really fun and pack outs are easy. But access/boat rental/tidal considerations can be daunting. Blueberry bears in the alpine in August/September sounds awesome, but some bears move between the river and the alpine, so you can shoot one in the alpine that spent the previous three weeks at the creek eating rotting fish. Maybe choose a location you would love to visit, then look at the bear opportunities. Reach out to locals.

OP
B

Boltgun

FNG
Thanks for all the input! We are on the schedule for August/September 2025! It'll be an adventure no matter what happens.

An unexpected positive, we added wolves to the list! Something of a long shot bonus, but the area we'll be hunting is pretty densely populated by wolves. Would be really cool if someone in the group tags a wolf too!

AlBeartoe

FNG
A buddy of mine was guiding moose hunts in the middle Kuskokwim (bush plane flight out of Aniak I believe) said they were glassing up 5-10 black bears a day and refered to them as "taking over" the hills. There is a strong predator reduction sentiment up here so you could even call ADF&G and ask them where they need help culling the herd and they might be able to point you in the right direction. Also, my brother once shot a black bear that was walking a beach eating mussels and the meat was fabulous, not fishy or weird at all.

Jdog

WKR
You might look at charter boat based hunts in Prince William Sound or southeast during spring. Or hike into the Kenai mountains in fall if you are in shape for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kenai presents an affordable hunt as well. I helped a buddy kill a gorgeous 6' black bear from the road system a few yrs back. Many options for this.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Kenai presents an affordable hunt as well. I helped a buddy kill a gorgeous 6' black bear from the road system a few yrs back. Many options for this.
This is what I’m looking at for 2025.

RAG2Scott

FNG
I transitioned from Alaska fly fishing to hunting and while have been on three hunts with others can’t beat the odds and draw a tag for myself… I’ve fished all over the state and hunted POW, seen lots of bears in the fall on POW and often several in a day. It’s definitely a DIY plausible hunt along the streams during the salmon run but they are fishy. The meat definitely has a fish tinge in smell and taste.

As I understand they eat a lot more fish since they don’t have to compete with brown bears In POW.

Not sure my input helps but thanks for asking the question. I am looking at hitting Units 15 and 7 and continuing to research but looks like the best options are fly in and out operations that are out of my price range. Anyone been successful getting up into the alpine from the roads In those units?

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
There is a forest service cabin on the northern end of portage bay on Kupreanof Island near Petersburg. You should look into renting that cabin during the month of May, and renting a boat(s) in Petersburg. Cheap, easy, high success DIY black bear hunt, glassing for bears along the shorelines in the evenings.

AK_Chuck

FNG
I transitioned from Alaska fly fishing to hunting and while have been on three hunts with others can’t beat the odds and draw a tag for myself… I’ve fished all over the state and hunted POW, seen lots of bears in the fall on POW and often several in a day. It’s definitely a DIY plausible hunt along the streams during the salmon run but they are fishy. The meat definitely has a fish tinge in smell and taste.

As I understand they eat a lot more fish since they don’t have to compete with brown bears In POW.

Not sure my input helps but thanks for asking the question. I am looking at hitting Units 15 and 7 and continuing to research but looks like the best options are fly in and out operations that are out of my price range. Anyone been successful getting up into the alpine from the roads In those units?
You can easily get up to the alpine from the road in both of these units. I don’t know what the cost differential will be between a fly out and letting a rental car sit for a week though.