What is your go-to ready-to-eat food in the field?

Clarence

WKR
As far as ready to go snacks...Tuna packets, sardines, rits, sunbelt bars, kind bars, "snack olives", pop tarts, honey buns, nutty bars, peanut/almond butter packets.

For actual meals its just whatever brand of freeze dry I have on hand at the time. Also pretty into the spicy ramen bowls lately. I dont ever cook anything, just heat water. Dont want to have to keep enough water on hand or take the time for dishes.

Also tortillas, peanut butter packets, and pepperoni stay good for a good amount of time unrefrigerated. So I sometimes bring that and make pb & pep wraps. A little weighty but feals like something substantial to eat after a few days.
The spicey Ramen bowls have been a favorite as well. I have been adding canned chicken that I dehydrate.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Deucebump

WKR
One of my favs is instant mashed potatoes and stove top stuffing mixed. I split the mashed packets into 2 and the stove top into 3 parts. Mix 1 part to 1 part. Weighs under 4oz and gives 440 calories with 6 or 8oz of water. Very filling and delicious! Make sure to use ziplok FREEZER bags, boiling water could melt the thinner sandwich bags.

Ginner

FNG
Can’t go wrong with peanut butter and tortillas. Doesn’t crunch/break. Packs easy

WKR

WKR
Beanie weenies mixed in some beef top Ramen is actually really good

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Pre-made everything is how I go if it's a pure backpacking style hunt. Big base camp hunt with coolers etc. is WAY different.

I'll talk backpacking/backpack hunting in this thread as that seems to be the gist…

Access/lack of access to water helps to pre-determine what's happening food-wise for me normally.

If I have access to water I like to do freeze dried meals for dinner, full belly of hot food helps me crash and stay asleep all night. Otherwise it's high calorie crackers/snack sticks (usually homemade elk or venison snack sticks).

Breakfast:

Breakfast is always the same and is my favorite meal each day...

.1 Cup heaping Granola (Flavored high calorie variant)
.1/4 cup crushed almonds or cashews
.1/4 cup raisins or cranberries
.1/4 cup heaping milk chocolate covered espresso beans
.1 heaping scoop protein powder or milk powder
.2 pills worth ginseng/royal jelly powder (emptied from capsules)

Pour ingredients in a quart zip lock bag and seal. At breakfast time add a splash or two of water and stir it up to make the protein/powdered milk your "milk". Espresso beans end up giving you about 75-100 mg of caffeine so I don't need coffee.

Lunch:

Lunch varies on my mood and is normally just snacking...

.Homemade spicy trail mix
.Homemade sweet trail mix
.Bobo Bars
.Homemade snack snicks (beef, elk, venison)
.Peanut butter sandwiches
.Almond crackers
.Cheese sticks (depending on temps)

Dinner:

If water is abundant I like freeze dried meals, both homemade and store bought. If not I go for the same lightweight high calorie foods as Lunch...

.Homemade freeze dried meals
.Off Grid Freeze dried meals
.Homemade snack sticks (beef, elk, venison)
.Sandwiches
.Almond crackers
.Cheese sticks (depending on temps)

Seeknelk

WKR
I think my favorite lunch on any day but especially a cold one is the Peak biscuits n gravy.
I don't backpack too much but Tillamook sharp cheddar squares and a meat stick of some sort, and a pro bar makes a good snack.

87TT

WKR
Just get a dehydrator and dehydrate your leftovers at home. Almost anything can be dehydrated and rehydrated with boiling water in the field. Just avoid greasy stuff unless you are going to use it soon so it doesn’t go rancid.
If you want, take some store bought dehydrated refried beans, Fritos chili cheese corn chips. Rehydrate the beans by adding boiling water let it set while rehydrating then add the chips and enjoy “fiesta night”.

Breakfast - Instant Coffee, Jack Links Meat & Cheese Stick, GU Energy Chews

Lunch - Ramen OR Freeze Dried B&G OR Freeze Dried Strawberry Granola

Dinner - Peak Refuel

Random Snacks - Fruit Snacks, Snickers Bar, Nature Valley Granola Bar, Jerky

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Just get a dehydrator and dehydrate your leftovers at home. Almost anything can be dehydrated and rehydrated with boiling water in the field. Just avoid greasy stuff unless you are going to use it soon so it doesn’t go rancid.
If you want, take some store bought dehydrated refried beans, Fritos chili cheese corn chips. Rehydrate the beans by adding boiling water let it set while rehydrating then add the chips and enjoy “fiesta night”.
How much toilet paper do you take to use after "fiesta night"?

Met-RX Big100 bar, 430 calories and the wrapper weighs nothing.

Ramen packs.

Instant taders with jerky thrown into it. I've actually started really enjoying this for some reason. The taders give the jerky some moisture and the jerky provides some texture. It's a sodium bomb obviously.

Peak meals, whatever's on sale.

I'll throw powdered eggs in with the ramen and the taders to up the protein content.

Bluumoon

WKR
Pepperoni rolls plus or minus cheese.(WV thing). Breakfast, lunch, or dinner. High calorie mix of carbs, fats, and protein. Pack well, but better slightly warmed.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of options but 2 of my go too are probar - one heavy on fruit/superfoods and the belvita cracker cookies with a chocolate hazelnut spread packet oh man so good. I don’t know what it is about the belvitas but they keep me going way longer than I expect and sit good on my stomach. One challenge for me with the hot meal for dinner is I hunt through evening than hike back to camp at night - usually don’t feel like heating up a meal just want to get some calories and hit the sack

tried a few freeze dried and keep going back to mountain house

also peanut butter, honey and bacon sandwiches

rideold

WKR
Probar Meal (Superfood Slam and Superberry and Greens), hard salami or jerky and Mountain House. If I'm hunting from the truck I bring my own home made bars along with an apple.

I think my favorite lunch on any day but especially a cold one is the Peak biscuits n gravy.
I don't backpack too much but Tillamook sharp cheddar squares and a meat stick of some sort, and a pro bar makes a good snack.
I'll echo on the Peak Biscuits-n-Gravy.
I have tried several different kinds of pre-packaged items, but I keep coming back to the Peak Refuel. I field strip them for packing and I split some of them for breakfast and lunch.