What is your ideal Mule Deer Arrow Setup

Sjacskson

FNG
Do you run mule deer specific arrows or do you run one arrow setup for everything?

Day Six gear XD's vs HD's?

Is important to run a faster arrow for deer?

What are the specifics of your ideal mule deer arrow?

Or am I just overthinkin it all.

RC_

FNG
I’ve only shot one mule deer with a bow (but a bunch of whitetails) so take it with a grain of salt but I would say 450-550 grain arrow depending on your setup with a good broadhead (fixed is my preference) and 10-15% FOC is a good area to be around. Use what tunes and shoots well for you. Putting the arrow where it needs to be when it counts is far more important than the arrow itself in my opinion.

Any arrow cut to your draw length and tuned to your bow. If it flies straight then you’re good to go. You aren’t hunting moose or elephant here. It’s a deer. Shoot it in the goodies and it’ll die
This. I’m a fairly short draw length with a mid weight arrow, and my 2” mechanical still passed through plus 25’ on my deer this past season.

Do you run mule deer specific arrows or do you run one arrow setup for everything?

Day Six gear XD's vs HD's?

Is important to run a faster arrow for deer?

What are the specifics of your ideal mule deer arrow?

Or am I just overthinkin it all.
i use a 544 gr day six HD with the 75 grain titanium aluminum outsert, previously i was using a 544 grain black eagle rampage with a half jacket system worked phenomenal. i dont worry to much about speed, im shooting anywhere from 243-254 depending on the bow i take and ive harvested plenty at 80-90 yards and plenty sub 30 yards with no issues. Ive always said Arrow flight is king, without it it doesnt really matter what your shooting because youre losing performance. good luck.

S.Clancy

WKR
Mine is the same as my elk and antelope arrow; Easton Axis 300 spine, 50 gr insert, 4 fletch, ~500gr total weight low 280's fps.

OutdoorAg

WKR
When did building specific arrows for each species become a thing?

This isn't rifle reloading.

dtrkyman

WKR
I was just hunting with a 380 grain arrow, I used to manage a shop and have hundreds of arrows and like playing with set ups, longer range possibilities I like the speed and a mechanical head.

I have killed piles of whitetail with 360 380 grain arrows over the years, for Elk I would rather be over 400 but shot placement is always key.

I was tempted to hunt a 330 grain arrow I built for 3d, it is the must accurate arrow I have built in a while but was concerned with that low of weight?

My best opportunity last week would have been 74 yards which I was prepared to take as I had it ranged, it was pretty still and he had no clue I was there, his gal pal busted me before he gave me a clear shot.

V-TRAIN

WKR
I use the same for whitetails and mule deer.
Around 380-400 grains, with a Sever 1.5" and never had a issue.
I have a short draw length at 27.5", so that is why I shoot what some consider a really light arrow.

nmarchr

FNG
I shoot a 385-388 grain arrow for everything. 27” draw 72#. I’ve never had any issues with deer or elk size game. Don’t overthink it. Find something that flies true and you’re good to go.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Arrow flight, penetration is key.
Great arrow flight is result of well-tuned bow and a shooter's consistent form.
Penetration is a result of KE/kinetic energy, especially downrange 50+ yards.

With that said, my draw 29.5"/70-lbs and standard hunting arrow:
Victory RIP TKO Elite, 30"C2C, Iron Will components, titanium collar & weight inserts up front, IWill solid-S BH 125gr, total arrow weight 495-gr, FOC 15.5
Under 50-yards, only shoot a single arrow at dot with IWill BH on the front. Shooting 2 or 3 arrows at same dot only results in cut vanes or damaged carbon arrow shafts :oops:.
Buck in avatar was taken at 67 yards, complete pass-thru. Down for the count in <70 yards, within eyesight.

This year in the AZ desert, I dropped some arrow weight with components, total arrow 467-gr. These flew 3-5" higher at 50-yards, same good arrow flight.
Of my 5-arrow quiver, had 2 arrows in the quiver with new Sevr Titanium 2.0. These 2 flew at 50-yds right in there with my IWill Solid-S BH. But at 70-80 yards practice, Sevr better on target-grouping, especially with light <10mph wind. The IWill BH would vary a few inches in a group at the longer distance in wind.
However, IWill penetrates much better than Sevr.

Build one arrow for everything and stay in the happy medium range, not too heavy, not too light, get some decent speed and practice a lot. That means something slightly different for everyone. For me pulling 72lbs @ 29 in is a 450-515gn arrow in the 275-290fps range. With a fixed blade or smaller expandable you can kill anything in NA.

Taudisio

WKR
I used to run a fast/light with an expandable. Worked great, no pass throughs, but deer died in sight. Until I hit a shoulder and got half a head penetration and never recovered my nicest archery mule deer. Swapped to a fixed head. A deer hasn’t stopped my arrow yet, even past 65 yards. They have been longer, but easy to follow blood trails. With the penetration I’m getting, I have no reason for a second/elk setup.

WCB

WKR
When did building specific arrows for each species become a thing?

This isn't rifle reloading.
Why would someone reload for each species? Find one load for everything and hunt. Same concept.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Why would someone reload for each species? Find one load for everything and hunt. Same concept.

Thats what I mean. It’s strange seeing guys “building” arrows for an antelope hunt vs deer hunt vs elk hunt.

Just find “one load” and hunt.

You’re making my point.

WCB

WKR
Thats what I mean. It’s strange seeing guys “building” arrows for an antelope hunt vs deer hunt vs elk hunt.

Just find “one load” and hunt.

You’re making my point.
You said "This isn't rifle reloading" like there is a difference and it is normal and makes sense for rifles.