What kind of sheep - heavily broomed or not

Just wanted to get the opinions of some other hunters.

If you had your choice between two sheep, which would you shoot:

1.) Large bases, good mass and heavily broomed, or

2.) Good bases, good mass, a little wider flare and not broomed much.

Tell me which one and why.

Thanks,

ClearCreek

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Thin horn or Bighorn?

On my first ram, a Fannin, I dreamed for years and years what it would look like. And I killed by the grace of God that EXECT ram with beautiful lamb tips intact and 10 1/2 years old. Now I dream all my other rams will be old broomed warriors.

Truthfully it does not matter one bit, each one is a privilege to have.

OP
C
I was referring to bighorn sheep here, sorry for not specifying in original post.

ClearCreek

2five7

WKR
Never killed one, but for a rocky I would prefer the most mass I could get, regardless of broomed or not.

Jimss

WKR
Good question! Colo bighorn rams come in an assortment of horn configurations. Generally speaking some units/areas tend to produce tight curled rams, other units may produce wider rams. Generally speaking I would say tighter curled rams generally broom their horns more than wider curled rams. Part of the reason for this would be that tighter horns infringe on the ram's ability to see. Some units/areas also tend to produce more massive horn bases than others. I have a feeling genetics, diet, and age have something to do with this. Generally speaking an older aged ram likely has more massive horns all the way to the tips compared to younger rams....especially if they are broomed. If I ventured a guess, most hunters can't tell the difference between an 8 year old ram with 14 1/2" bases that holds it's mass all the way to the 35" tips vs an 8 year old ram with 16" bases that is held all the way to the same 35" lengthed tips. Both likely look very impressive on the wall! If score really doesn't mean to much to a hunter than an 8 year old, 14 1/2" ram with 36" horns would be mighty impressive! If you are looking for B&C/score...mass is a large chunk of a sheep's score.

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
Good question! Colo bighorn rams come in an assortment of horn configurations. Generally speaking some units/areas tend to produce tight curled rams, other units may produce wider rams. Generally speaking I would say tighter curled rams generally broom their horns more than wider curled rams. Part of the reason for this would be that tighter horns infringe on the ram's ability to see....so they are broomed heavily so the ram can see. Some units/areas also tend to produce more massive horn bases than others. I have a feeling genetics, diet, and age have something to do with this. Generally speaking an older aged ram likely has more massive horns all the way to the tips compared to younger rams....especially if they are broomed. If I ventured a guess, most hunters can't tell the difference between an 8 year old ram with 14 1/2" bases that hold their mass all the way to the 35" tips vs an 8 year old ram with 16" bases that is held all the way to the same 35" tips. Both likely look very impressive on the wall! If score really doesn't mean to much to a hunter than an 8 year old, 14 1/2" ram with 36" horns would be mighty impressive!

BRWNBR

WKR
Broomed!!!

f4812f6ae487ae38d464bcfae86b0b63.jpg
9ba6fbf776add1eb0f9741ca718844c6.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
Good question! Colo bighorn rams come in an assortment of horn configurations. Generally speaking some units/areas tend to produce tight curled rams, other units may produce wider rams. Generally speaking I would say tighter curled rams generally broom their horns more than wider curled rams. Part of the reason for this would be that tighter horns infringe on the ram's ability to see....so they are broomed heavily so the ram can see. Some units/areas also tend to produce more massive horn bases than others. I have a feeling genetics, diet, and age have something to do with this. Generally speaking an older aged ram likely has more massive horns all the way to the tips compared to younger rams....especially if they are broomed. If I ventured a guess, most hunters can't tell the difference between an 8 year old ram with 14 1/2" bases that hold their mass all the way to the 35" tips vs an 8 year old ram with 16" bases that is held all the way to the same 35" tips. Both likely look very impressive on the wall! If score really doesn't mean to much to a hunter than an 8 year old, 14 1/2" ram with 36" horns would be mighty impressive!

MtGomer

WKR
In many areas, sheep of any age will typically be broomed. In others they may not be. So it really depends where you’re hunting, but I’ve always though the heavy, dark, broomed old bighorns were the neatest looking.

Somewhere I heard that Colorado bighorns come in an assortment of configurations.

wantj43

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to look at those heavily broomed animals and not be impressed and "speculate" what they might look like if the whole horn was there. Equally impressive though are those 400 degree plus sheep. We processed one that was 452 degrees plus and not broken - that was really impressive.

EastMT

WKR
I’m torn, I love the broomed warriors and the perfect way over full curls. I guess you need to get both so you can appreciate both each day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love whatever I can get close enough to arrow!!! FWIW all 5 of my archery rams are broomed...both Bighorns, Desert, Stone and Dall.

going Dall in 2020- i'll take the first legal one! but if they were standing side by side, I really don't know. probably the one with the most mass, regardless of broomed/not broomed.

I would take any sheep lol...... sheep is one of those things I’ve kinda wrote off like hopefully one day I win a raffle but at this rate I won’t hunt sheep til I’m late 50s and still that’s maybe