What kind of skinning knife do you use and why?

Knife type

• Scalpel style replaceable (Havalon, tyto, goat Capra, etc)

Votes: 92 30.5%
  • Knife style replaceable (outdoor edge & similar)

Votes: 54 17.9%
  • “Super steel” knife

Votes: 73 24.2%
  • Standard steel knife

Votes: 83 27.5%

• Total voters

SwiftShot

WKR
All I carry now in my kill kit as a knife is the small outdoor edge with 2 extra blades. I have not needed to change a blade, they all make it through a whole elk. I do the gutless method, then debone if I need to pack far. Over the years carried a lot of different knives. In my truck I keep my a kill kit with a Old Timer Skinner with gut hook I got when I was 12. That was over 40 years ago and it still will do an animal. It not really the knife its your skill. As you get better, less dulling mistakes happen. Blade last longer between touch ups.

I have used a lot of different knives over the years and I mean a pile of them but the knife that I always have on my side when I need to skin an animal is a havalon….

Fixed blade s30v and a Work Sharp Field Sharpener. Didn't care for the replaceable blade knives after using them for while.

SwiftShot

WKR
I carry an outdoor edge. I have been using it for the last 2 years. Works well, I gutless method everything. In the truck I have a another kill kit. It has my teied and true, oldtimers. I have one that I got 40 years ago at 12. It started skinning deer then. I have another green rubber handle. They both work well, the green handle one gets fat stuck in the micro grooves on the handle. All of them will do an elk. I carry the outdoor edge as I am a gram whiny now.

nh85

FNG
Havalons blades break to easy, outdoor edge with couple extra blades. If weight doesn't matter ill take both fixed and outdoor but have no problem with just an outdoor edge. Have completely broke down multiple elk with only an outdoor edge and an extra blade

Havalons blades break to easy, outdoor edge with couple extra blades. If weight doesn't matter ill take both fixed and outdoor but have no problem with just an outdoor edge. Have completely broke down multiple elk with only an outdoor edge and an extra blade

I’ve cut up whole moose with a single Havalon blade, you just have to be careful. But yeah, my preference is an outdoor edge with 1-2 extra blades for large game and a havalon for small game like sheep/deer

axeforce6

WKR
EAC63DEB-4F17-4524-917A-8F82BB7E6E6E.jpeg
I keep two of these with me. One I keep a gut hook on and the other I keep the 3.5” blade. Used the today on an 8 pointer I killed. Super handy and I always have extra blades on me.

Kodiak06

FNG
Tops Camp Creek for me. I have all the others but they can't do it all, especially the replaceable blade knives. I can do 2 elk before resharpening.

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 53

Beendare

WKR
I like a Fixed blade in steel that holds an incredible edge.

current favorites are the Benchmade Altitude and Steep country in S90v….they do a couple critters no problem.

I had a chance to try out a couple this year.

LT wright large and small northern hunter and the Bark River EXT-1 all did great

Attachments

• IMG_9835.jpeg
    IMG_9835.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9316.jpeg
    IMG_9316.jpeg
    470.6 KB · Views: 33

fshaw

WKR
I’m a fixed blade guy by preference but have done a bunch with folders. Crotts semi skinner and Dozier Yukon Pro Skinner are favorites. Both are D2. Argali Serac in S35 is a nice light knife that works well. I’ve boned out a couple whitetails with a William Henry T12CF which is a favorite pocket knife. Personal opinion but I like knives too much to use a Havalon style knife.

Bark River Lil Skinner and Fox River in A2 Steel. Why, because they’re beyond reliable, feel great in my hand, are beautiful, hand crafted in the USA, and will go to my son when i’m done with them then his son after him.

Havalon? Well i own one and can tell you it’s a soul less, unreliable pile of crap. It pretty much takes up space in my basement.