What knife for a gift?

Hey everybody,

if y’all were going to gift someone a very nice fixed blade knife what company would you buy from?

I like the idea of a Puma or Randall made but wanted to look at a few more options.

I’d like it to be something that would last a lifetime and I guess be in the 100-500 dollar range but if there’s better options at more or less I’d love to hear em!

Thanks

Oregonboy

WKR
For your budget, I would avoid factory and go handmade. I believe the finest handmade knives are made in Hillsboro, OR by Murray Carter. Look into Murray, his history as a bladesmith is extremely impressive. I have one of his knives (hope to have more one day) and it's easily the coolest, most well made and sharpest knife in my collection of 30+ knives. You will not be disappointed.

Wolf River Forge- Tyler Hackbarth. Army veteran and 2x winner of forged in fire. He will take your specifications and turn them into a functional, heirloom quality, work of art.

EDIT: he also usually has a small inventory of popular knives he's designed for folks in the past. Check out his facebook and instagram.

Attachments

• 61791863712__5E2C9507-D220-4632-8A68-B2DBD2B3141F.jpg
    61791863712__5E2C9507-D220-4632-8A68-B2DBD2B3141F.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2152.JPG
    IMG_2152.JPG
    495.4 KB · Views: 38
I would get them a Leatherman with their name engraved on it. ITs more practical and they will actually use it.

Reactions: WKB

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
My Dad was gifted a Gerber multi tool by a friend for Christmas in the early 1990s. a MP 600, I believe. He carried it for 15-ish years and gave it to me to carry and use. One of the main retaining pins that holds the tools in the handle fell out at some point. Young farm boy me shoved a 16 penny nail in there, ground it off and mushroom-staked the tip to prevent it from backing out. Still holds to this day. Carried it overseas on my kit as a young soldier. Still occupies a place on my belt when I go to the field. Recently I took it all apart and retightened, reoiled, and cleaned the whole thing. Repaired the cordura sheath with some creative superglue and stitching. Good as new. I hope to pass it on to one of my boys.
I gave my late father in law a Buck 110 one year for Christmas. I've never seen a man's eyes light up so much. he was a simple man who worked hard and appreciated simple tough tools. It never left than man's front pocket until he died.

What I am getting at, is even a "cheap" knife can hold an important place to the recipient. I would rather have a useful knife with life scars from a dear friend/family member than a valuable presentation piece.

ejp5281

FNG
My buddy turned me on to Dunn Knives a couple of years ago and I love it. I have the Predator and would recommend it as a hunting knife.

Depending on style, Behnke Forge also makes a nice knife. https://behnkeforge.com/store

My Dad was gifted a Gerber multi tool by a friend for Christmas in the early 1990s. a MP 600, I believe. He carried it for 15-ish years and gave it to me to carry and use. One of the main retaining pins that holds the tools in the handle fell out at some point. Young farm boy me shoved a 16 penny nail in there, ground it off and mushroom-staked the tip to prevent it from backing out. Still holds to this day. Carried it overseas on my kit as a young soldier. Still occupies a place on my belt when I go to the field. Recently I took it all apart and retightened, reoiled, and cleaned the whole thing. Repaired the cordura sheath with some creative superglue and stitching. Good as new. I hope to pass it on to one of my boys.
I gave my late father in law a Buck 110 one year for Christmas. I've never seen a man's eyes light up so much. he was a simple man who worked hard and appreciated simple tough tools. It never left than man's front pocket until he died.

What I am getting at, is even a "cheap" knife can hold an important place to the recipient. I would rather have a useful knife with life scars from a dear friend/family member than a valuable presentation piece.
I love the story and the heirloom you now have and plan to pass on to the next generation.

This is the whole point of a cutom knife as well. You get to design exactly what you want without compromising on anything. My knife above has gutted and dressed several whitetails and the elk in my profile pic. It will likely be passed to my daughter who loves the mountains and hunting as much or more than me.

The other benefit of having an individual make a knife for you is that they stand behind the product most times with no questions asked. My point is they don't have to be a presenatation piece just becuase you spent a few hundred dollars on them. Hell, guys on here spend more than that on a rifle stock just to beat the snot out of it. ;)

NDGuy

WKR
Hey everybody,

if y’all were going to gift someone a very nice fixed blade knife what company would you buy from?

I like the idea of a Puma or Randall made but wanted to look at a few more options.

I’d like it to be something that would last a lifetime and I guess be in the 100-500 dollar range but if there’s better options at more or less I’d love to hear em!

Thanks
I listed this one awhile back nice ironwood burl.

Knix Knives in Montgomery County Texas makes really durable knives that are affordable. Had him make this one for my wife last Christmas. knixknives.weebly.com
60988dcc9361f096f9cef252809bd40d.jpg

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Louro

FNG
Wolf River Forge- Tyler Hackbarth. Army veteran and 2x winner of forged in fire. He will take your specifications and turn them into a functional, heirloom quality, work of art.

EDIT: he also usually has a small inventory of popular knives he's designed for folks in the past. Check out his facebook and instagram.
OH, boy that is a beauty.

OP
S
Thanks for all the info guys! Sorry no replies from me got married and had honeymoon week and didn’t have rokslide on the brain! 😂 thanks again!

Tmac

WKR
My current favorite is the Chamois Hunter by VonGruff. Garry is a master of knife steel and does it as a hobby. You’ll get a fully custom knife/scabbard for 250-350 that would run 500+ most anywhere else. https://vongruffknives.com/

Attachments

• IMG_0597.jpeg
    IMG_0597.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 12

maya

FNG
I have too many knives. Two of my most used are from Esee. The Esee 4 & Izula pair together nicely. Utilitarian workhorses that cover all tasks. Some of the best productions knives you can get. Come with nice kydex sheaths with good retention & wide low profile clips. Made in Oregon I think. 1095 steel is a good balance that holds an edge pretty good yet is easy to sharpen in the field. Simple flat grind. An Esee 4 w/ an Izula would be an awesome gift!