What shelter do you recommend?

Hey gang. I’m looking at getting a new shelter for backpack hunting. I’m open to any and all brands/ configurations, etc. The shelter will be used for 5-7 day hunts from Spring through fall in WA, temps from 30’s-90. It will need to be able to be to handle lots of rain and wind and will likely be used when bugs are an issue. I don’t plan on using it in the winter but it will need to be able to withstand the random snow dump that the high country can throw at you in a moments notice. I would like to hear some options for something lightweight and packable if there exists something that meets my needs. I look forward to hearing what y’all use for these types of outings. Shoot away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudd Foot

WKR
Lots of brands, and lots of great options. Have become a fan of Seek Outside products as a result of direct experience. Good luck with your research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superdoo

WKR
For solo use, Seek Outside Silex paired with a Borah gear bivy. I'd get the Silex with the stove jack to give you that option if needed.
Do you have a silex with a stove jack? I’ve been trying to track down a photo of one with a stove inside.

Medic727

FNG
I definitely agree with Seek Outside products. I live in the town they are manufactured in and they are quality products. If you are more budget friendly Luxe Hiking gear have similar products. I have the Luxe minipeak and am satisfied with it

skierhs

WKR
Do you want to go floorless? What price range are you looking at? And party size? Those three will majorly affect what you go with.

Cole

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using the Big Agnes Fly Creek HV1 Platinum for two years. It weighs 1 lbs 13 oz so it’s not the strongest tent but it gets the job done. Last year I did a fly in Idaho wilderness hunt and it survived a few heavy snow storms. I did stack some rocks up around the tent to break the wind though. If you want a super light weight 3 season backpacking tent check out the Fly Creek. There’s also a Fly Creek Carbon edition that’s right around 1lbs but it’s too spendy for me. If you have any questions, let me know 🤙

Bryanboss429

Lil-Rokslider
@Superdoo I was able to find this for you. hope that helps. It is from a different thread on here.

I got the Silex with a stove jack and Cub stove for Christmas this year. Finally set it up today and burned in
the stove in my back yard. Seems real nice, pretty simple to set up. I was amazed how much heat the little
cub stove put out once it got going, the only pain was getting the stovepipe over the spark arrestor/damper.
I think it is going to work great for my solo back country mule deer hunts in October.View attachment 155282View attachment 155283View attachment 155284

I think there was a few more pics that i saw. Can't remember exactly were though.

Im currently looking for a redcliff. Seems to fit in with just about all of my needs. 3 hunters w/ gear and a stove.

I have two Seek outside tents I would recommend (along with lots of other brands I have but these seek outside tents are the best options from what I have used). The silex and Cimmeron. Both are great tents. Run the borah bivy in both but also have the half nest for when the wife and/or dogs come along. I can’t recommend their tents enough. They are bombproof. The cimmeron handles the wind better being a center pole but the silex does a great job too. Both have been thru 30-40 mph gusts. If you are looking for a solo tent the silex is awesome. Light weight and completely enclosed vs a tarp. But if you need some space the cimmeron I feel is the best for 2 people and gear to handle any sort of weather including snow. The options for a nest for buggy areas, stove jack if you want heated or up to four people with gear outside the tent it does it all. It’s light enough to pack with and big enough to hang out in with someone else and gear and not feel crowded. I am sure there are lots of others out there but going floorless with a seek outside I feel is the best option I have tried so far.

eknick23

FNG
I’ve been using the Big Agnes Fly Creek HV1 Platinum for two years. It weighs 1 lbs 13 oz so it’s not the strongest tent but it gets the job done. Last year I did a fly in Idaho wilderness hunt and it survived a few heavy snow storms. I did stack some rocks up around the tent to break the wind though. If you want a super light weight 3 season backpacking tent check out the Fly Creek. There’s also a Fly Creek Carbon edition that’s right around 1lbs but it’s too spendy for me. If you have any questions, let me know 🤙
Big Agnes Copper 2 Platinum is a great choice as well. Lightweight and plenty of room!