What!!?? The dreaded hearing aid

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot to add: great guarantee and every time you go to Costco, you can drop off your aides and they will clean the for free. You

wyben

FNG
I get mine through the VA, if any of you are vets, check it out. I bought my first set myself, before I found out about the VA.

*zap*

WKR
tell folks that if they are speaking to you they need to speak up.....once. After that I ignore them. In the woods wear over the ear protectors that amplify sound.....

My dad came down with some serious hearing loss when he had the shingles virus land in his ear canal. It was horrible. He tried messing around with buying used, buying from a company direct to consumer. Eventually he had to bite the bullet for the ultra high end hearing aids due to his hearing loss circumstances. And he said they were worth every penny. If he had to do it all over again he would have by passed the first two steps. He’s got the specialty aids that reduce tinnitus as well and they work great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myshootinstinks

FNG
Classified Approved
I bought hearing aids from Jabra online at $1600. They are okay but I’m constantly adjusting them through Bluetooth. I couldn’t my mind wrapped around paying $6-8k for the aids the audiologist recommended. I was told audiologists make their money on selling you the hearing aid so I figured about half the cost was markup.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
My health insurance pays $3000.00 for mine but any cost over that is on me. I just go with the total free hearing aids which are just fine. The VA always supplied mine free but it was a hassle setting up an appointment with them when needed.

jmez

WKR
How about those that don't live close to a Costco?

What model of the Jabra are you guys using?

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

CRJR45

WKR
Question , my insurance pays for some hearing aids and I went to a place called Audibel hearing center . I started at the bottom level of cost and worked my way up to the most expensive ones . They let you move up , trading in the old ones for the new ones . There was two problems for me . The cheaper set worked ok , but I could hear people across the room better than I could hear my wife across the table .
The most expensive ones had an annoying buzz or humming , like white noise , all the time . I ended up taking them all back .
The top of the line ones were $600 on top of my insurance .
Do you not have this problem and was I not spending enough money ?

Billinsd

WKR
Jeez, amazing what you discuss as you age.
I figured I would post this here even though hearing loss affects younger folks also.
So..........without breaking the bank or selling off your gun collection, anyone have experience with affordable and cheaper hearing aids that you are happy with??
It's mind-boggling what some of them cost.

Randy
Can you use your insurance? I got United Healthcare-Sharp Community and my hearing aids were covered after getting a referral from my ears and nose physician.

Billinsd

WKR
I got Phonak hearing aids and they are great. The auditory place I went to was fantastic too.

KenLee

WKR
Anyone else sweat a ridiculous amount with any significant heat and exertion? I have always and my son is the same way.
If so, which hearing aids have you found to hold up to the drenching?

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you use your insurance? I got United Healthcare-Sharp Community and my hearing aids were covered after getting a referral from my ears and nose physician.

I wish but they don't cover any of it. AND we have our hearing checked every year at work.
But they cover your children....🤔
Randy

yfarm

WKR
Saw an audiologist recently for testing, she told me she pays $2100 per hearing aid and sells them for 2900 each. Provides free care for the life of the hearing aid for that price. $5800,was shocked given what you see advertised as OTC or from online sellers.

tops911

FNG
I just went from Resound to Phonak. I find the Phonak a much better hearing aid over the Resounds. The thing that surprised me was when I was in the Army a hearing test took half a day, at my civilian audiologist I spent like 15 minutes and was done. I hated those annual hearing tests in the Army, LOL