What to do, Roatan, Cozumel, Belize city, Puerto Costa Maya...

Rob5589

WKR
Anyone been to any of these places that can give rec's for daily activities? We're taking a cruise next June and these are the ports we'll stop at. Roughly 8 hrs at each port. Excursions get booked quickly so we're trying to get some ideas sooner than later.

Thanks

UpNorth89

Lil-Rokslider
I've went fishing with Chichi Charters in Cozumel several times and it's always been great. The food they cook for lunch on the boat is amazing and the fishing is usually pretty good. There are several good places to shore snorkel in Cozumel also. Sunset Bar is pretty good for that.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone been to any of these places that can give rec's for daily activities? We're taking a cruise next June and these are the ports we'll stop at. Roughly 8 hrs at each port. Excursions get booked quickly so we're trying to get some ideas sooner than later.

Thanks
You could try to book a half day fishing charter out of Belize City but it likely wouldn’t be a flats fishing experience. The typical bonefish/ permit fly fishing guides normally operate out of Ambergris, Turneffe, and Placencia. Normally the cruises have an excursion to go see the Maya ruins at Altun Ha or Xunantunich. If you haven’t ever seen them, it’s worth it. Xenantunich is further from Belize City so they normally go to Altun Ha. My father is from Belize and I remember as a child seeing the small Maya ruins on the cattle ranch my family owned at the time…pretty cool stuff. There are parts of Belize City (anywhere not near the port or airport) that you would be well advised to stay far away from. Do not go strolling around on foot to explore the city. It is not widely broadcast by the Belizean government but the vast majority of the city is not safe for tourists. Stay with a cruise excursion and you’ll be fine.

I’ve gone snorkeling in Cozumel with Chala multiple times through the years and always had an amazing time. He’s good with anyone from beginner to expert. The variety of ocean life you’ll see is mind blowing.
For food, my preference is to walk far from the cruise port to where I’m the only tourist. There, I can enjoy truly authentic meals

I’ve only spent a few hours in Puerta Maya. The Krazy Lobster was a nice stop for a bucket of beers, margaritas and snacks on the beach. There’s lots of open air shopping that, well frankly, I was dragged to 😆. The Mrs loved it though and still wears some of the jewelry she bought there.
1689763610380.jpg

Drenalin

WKR
I think we did the Mayan ruins from Cozumel, back in 2006. Cozumel itself sucked, and while the ruins were cool to see once, I wouldn't get off the boat there again. We went cave tubing in Belize, which was a blast.

feanor

WKR
Years ago the cenotes were amazing to explore and dive, but I’m not sure what the current situation is there. We rented a car and had a whole map of interior cenotes and drove to them. Takes some time to do that though.

There are parts of Belize City (anywhere not near the port or airport) that you would be well advised to stay far away from. Do not go strolling around on foot to explore the city. It is not widely broadcast by the Belizean government but the vast majority of the city is not safe for tourists. Stay with a cruise excursion and you’ll be fine.
I’ll echo this. I got unexpectedly stranded in Belize City years ago when I had car trouble trying to drive over through Guatemala. Had to turnaround and come back to Belize City. There are FEW safe places in my opinion. I would not be out after dark. Likely not an issue if getting off or back in a cruise ship. Reputable places to eat are few and far between. Only dinner I have ever had where gigantic rats were running all over the place and over my feet as I ate. It is an absolute 💩 whole. There are great excursions I imagine out to the Cayes. I would plan on those and avoid anything in town.

Fitzwho

WKR
I would fish out of Cozumel or Roatan over Belize City (in the City I would stay on the boat as others have stated). If you were stopping in Ambergris Caye, there is some good bonefishing there, very few big ones, but lots of fish.

Roatan has more bonefish in the 5-9lb range and I caught 14 species of fish when I was there. Cozumel has several options for fishing with that short of a stay (offshore trolling for pelagics, bottom fishing for crazy reef fish, and bonefish on the flats on the north end of the island).

IdahoHntr

WKR
Just did a cruise stopping at most the same stops. Had a lot of fun snorkeling in Cozumel. Saw some sea turtles there.

Belize we went cave tubing and zip lining. Also a good time, but was a decent bus ride to get there. Caves were cool and refreshing though.

Roatan we just did more snorkeling from the beach near the port. We had our own gear and were the only ones out actually snorkeling even though the beach was busy. Surprised how many fish there were. Our first cruise, but we enjoyed all the stops and had a lot of fun!

Ranger619

WKR
Roatan has a beach area within walking distance of the port where you can rent beach chairs for the day with food/drinks available. In Cozumel we did a catamaran and snorkel trip that was descent.

I was a teenager so my parents paid for everything, and it was many years ago - so not sure how much this stuff costs.

With that said, the zip lining and cave tubing in Belize was really awesome. The other memorable expedition was in Costa Maya where we went Jetskiing and saw a bunch of dolphins. The waves were also a lot choppier in Costa Maya which made it way more fun.

nobody

WKR
We did almost that exact cruise route on Carnival for Christmas 2021, by far my favorite vacation I've ever been on! Very jealous!

Roatan - snorkeling with the Jolly Roger. Those guys were so entertaining, and the snorkeling was unreal.
Belize - Cave tubing and ziplining in the jungle. I don't remember the name of the company, but they were one of the top rated ones on the cruise websites.
Cozumel - Mayan ruins at Tulum. Call me cringey, but it was one of the most spiritual places I've ever been.

grfox92

WKR
I've been to Roatan, Cosumel, and Belize.

Roatan is beautiful we hung out in the Port area on the beach and at the bar and just chilled. Very cool place.

Cosumel we left the port, got some local cuisine and hit the tourist shops ect. It felt very safe.

Belize was insane. Once off the boat in the port, locals were hanging over the fence screaming at us trying to sell us jewelry and stuff like that. We left the port into the city and it was chaos. People barging up to us and trying to get us to go on "excursions". One lady tried to convince me and my wife to come back to her place with her where she would give me a massage and do my wife's nails. We declined.

When we re boarded the ship, the talk of the cruise was that when a group was on their way back from an ATV excursion, their bus was stopped by a group with AK47s. They got on the bus and talked with the driver, then got off and let the bus pass. Needless to say we didn't enjoy Belize.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

We did a Mayan ruin tour out of Belize and it was great. Was like an hour boat ride up the river to the ruins. We were heading up there and passed a bunch a bunch of Amish farms. Apparently the Belize government gave a bunch of Amish people land to come there and farm for them. 🤷‍♂️ was surprised to see that. The Mayan ruins were awesome, if your into that kind of stuff, which I am.

gbflyer

WKR
We go to Belize every year in March. We avoid cruise ships in general and crowds so I can’t help you there. It’s a cool country to spend some time in.

Oregon

WKR
I’ll echo this. I got unexpectedly stranded in Belize City years ago when I had car trouble trying to drive over through Guatemala. Had to turnaround and come back to Belize City. There are FEW safe places in my opinion. I would not be out after dark. Likely not an issue if getting off or back in a cruise ship. Reputable places to eat are few and far between. Only dinner I have ever had where gigantic rats were running all over the place and over my feet as I ate. It is an absolute 💩 whole. There are great excursions I imagine out to the Cayes. I would plan on those and avoid anything in town.
I'm a big tough guy. Partied in some of the most dispicable places on the planet.
The only place the hairs stood up on the back of my neck was Belize city. That place is rough!!!!!

Oregon

WKR
I've been to that Costa Maya place as well. A giant pier sticks out(literally saw sailfish swimming around) Cruise ship put in a Hard Rock Cafe at base of pier.
95% of cruise passengers got off boat , walked 1000' feet and stayed at hard rock and $5 beers.
We took a taxi to the main beach. 25$ massages and 2$ beer. Snorkeled for $15 gear rental. Cruise Critic is your friend.
A forum devoted to all the good and bad of your stops.

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
Thanks all. Fishing likely won't happen as we'll be hanging out with all 4 of us. We all like to snorkel so that's definitely on the list. Zip lines as well. Belize was my one hold up. Seems hit or miss safety wise depending on where you go. I'd guess the cruise excursions are safe or they wouldn't do them and or stop there. I'll check out Cruise Critic, thanks Oregon.