What to see/do near Mesa, Az?

MT_Fin

Lil-Rokslider
Headed out in a couple days for a trip to Mesa, AZ with my whole family…….I did not pick the dates! Who takes a vacation during hunting season?

For those familiar with the area, any suggestions on what to do, see, or places to eat? I’ve never been to AZ, so would appreciate any tips.

Thanks!

4rcgoat

WKR
I'm in n.wyoming,I go down that way couple times a winter just to see some dirt!!
No experience in Mesa,but if you haven't been up to Sedona it's worth a drive,hiking is phenomenal, usually rent a high end mountain bike and hit the trails,lots of options for kids.

Headed out in a couple days for a trip to Mesa, AZ with my whole family…….I did not pick the dates! Who takes a vacation during hunting season?

For those familiar with the area, any suggestions on what to do, see, or places to eat? I’ve never been to AZ, so would appreciate any tips.

Thanks!
Go fly fish lees ferry in a jet boat good times. Or you can raft the Grand canyon ( maybe just look at it Idk ). Or you could go catch a cooler full of water stripers at Powell.

Go fly fish lees ferry in a jet boat good times. Or you can raft the Grand canyon ( maybe just look at it Idk ). Or you could go catch a cooler full of water stripers at Powell.
Just stripers Idk why my phone added water to that.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hikes in Superstition Mountains, drive to top/hike South Mountain, Desert Botanical Garden, PHX Zoo, Papago Park, Bass Pro, Top Golf, paddle board Saguaro or Canyon lake, drive the Apache trail as far as you can north, Casa Grande ruins, Backyard Taco and get birria or carne asada burrito, Los Favoritos for carne asada and burritos, Mango’s in downtown Mesa for good Mexican. Food, drive through Superior, Miami/Globe, to Roosevelt dam, to Beeline 87, to Bush Highway past Saguaro lake, along Salt River, and back to Mesa. Eat at Burger Shack in Miami if it is still there, the green chili burritos, enchilada style are the usual.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ages and interests and I can give more specifics.

Also, you flying in or driving?

Weather is amazing right now. Still warm during the mid day, but mornings and evenings are so nice.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hike Flatiron outside Apache Junction.
That’s a favorite in the Superstitions. It’s a pretty good climb. Lots of other hikes in there. Wave cave is a classic.

Stay far away from the cactus that looks like a teddy bear that wants a hug. That’s teddy bear cholla. They also call it jumping cactus for a reason…

Nasty, nasty stuff.

From Mesa a short drive to the Apache Trail. You can drive out to Roosevelt lake. You’ll pass 3 other small lakes and lots of hiking along the way. It’s a great time to be outside in AZ now.
Lots of mountain biking too.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
From Mesa a short drive to the Apache Trail. You can drive out to Roosevelt lake. You’ll pass 3 other small lakes and lots of hiking along the way. It’s a great time to be outside in AZ now.
Lots of mountain biking too.
Unfortunately part of it is closed because of a rain after a fire that washed it out. You can’t drive it all the way to Roosevelt from Mesa. To get to Apache, you need to come from the Roosevelt lake side.

Unfortunately part of it is closed because of a rain after a fire that washed it out. You can’t drive it all the way to Roosevelt from Mesa. To get to Apache, you need to come from the Roosevelt lake side.
Wow, it still isn't back open? Its been a while since I've driven it.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Wow, it still isn't back open? Its been a while since I've driven it.
Yeah, latest was they were going to do some work and extend it. Really bummed cause I like the hike into Reavis Ranch from the Roosevelt side for backpacking. And, I started applying and got tags for that unit when I first started hunting. I had a couple hunts in there for Coues, but I was a rookie and ate tags. My last tag was the year of the fire, and the road closure blew up my plan. I still went in there a different route but had to hunt different area that was new to me.

I went to another couple of units down south to finally punch my Coues tag on a couple of bucks.

I have a goal to get back in there solo to get a buck solo in the backcountry. I'd like to go get a bear back in there, but it will take a bunch of scouting to find where they are, and then get the meat out cause it is still fairly warm.