What Tree stand?

as.ks.ak

WKR
Howdy folks,

I’m looking for some feedback/opinions from those of you that use hang on stands. Or hunt from tree stands in general. I’ve been borrowing an ancient one from a guy in town for baiting bears, and it’s about time I pony up and buy my own. All this will be used for is bear bait archery site setups. I’ll use screw in hooks to get in and down the tree, so only need the stand itself. Please school me on what I want and why.

Boxes I want checked:
-easy to strap to a pack
-under $200
-K.I.S.S.
-will ship to Alaska

TIA!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howdy folks,

I’m looking for some feedback/opinions from those of you that use hang on stands. Or hunt from tree stands in general. I’ve been borrowing an ancient one from a guy in town for baiting bears, and it’s about time I pony up and buy my own. All this will be used for is bear bait archery site setups. I’ll use screw in hooks to get in and down the tree, so only need the stand itself. Please school me on what I want and why.

Boxes I want checked:
-easy to strap to a pack
-under $200
-K.I.S.S.
-will ship to Alaska

TIA!!

Any interest in a climber?

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
Any interest in a climber?

Not really. It’s a set it and forget it type thing for the duration of the season, and really just don’t have interest in one.

Not really. It’s a set it and forget it type thing for the duration of the season, and really just don’t have interest in one.

Understand completely

If you are setting and forgetting probably a lot to choose from. Steel is heavy, but cheaper. I really like the seat on the big millennium stands, really comfortable, big stand tho and sticks out from the tree pretty good. M-150 stand. Might be a little over your budget. I have bought some cheap steel summits from Walmart when they discount them after season.

Walmart cheap-

Comfortable -

Those are two I have experience with and think are ok. The cheap one put soft side Velcro on the tabs that the seat sits on, also I sprayed great stuff in the tubes to quite it a bit.

Biggest recommendation I can give is get a comfortable seat if you plan to sit longer than 2-3 hours.

Last edited:
OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
I would look at Millennium. How much room are you looking for?

Room isn’t necessarily as high a priority as comfort is. I guess I should have added that to the list. Sometimes I could sit 24hrs at a time depending on the bear activity.

The only complaint I have about LW is the seats are pretty uncomfortable to me. But they hang easy, are adjustable for a tree that leans away, and fold down to pack nice. Not much weight difference between my m-150 and my alpha, even tho the m-150 has a heavy ass chain setup to hang it. The m-150 is a way bigger stand to pack.

@aa_smith11 I can take pictures of a lone wolf alpha, m-150, and those cheap summit stands on a pack if you would like. Give you actual weights as well if your interested. I think those are the only hang-ons I have that are still available for purchase. Any would suit you well I think. Just pick what you want- light, compact, or comfortable.

if you want something that's not going to break the bank set it and forget it. look at the sportsman guide brand.

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
When I say set it and forget it, I just mean April-June. I’m not letting it hang year round. Too harsh a climate to let that happen. Too wet for that. So maybe im in a different thought process than say maybe a whitetail guy leaving one up for years on end? I just meant in terms of a guy who would maybe be bringing a climber in and out with him every sit.

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
The only complaint I have about LW is the seats are pretty uncomfortable to me. But they hang easy, are adjustable for a tree that leans away, and fold down to pack nice. Not much weight difference between my m-150 and my alpha, even tho the m-150 has a heavy ass chain setup to hang it. The m-150 is a way bigger stand to pack.

@aa_smith11 I can take pictures of a lone wolf alpha, m-150, and those cheap summit stands on a pack if you would like. Give you actual weights as well if your interested. I think those are the only hang-ons I have that are still available for purchase. Any would suit you well I think. Just pick what you want- light, compact, or comfortable.

That’d be great! I’m only hiking a 1-2 miles with the stand, so weight isn’t such a big deal. The old one I just hung last week is definitely heavier than anything on the market (id imagine).

Comfort and hanging simplicity are probably a 1,2 punch for top of the list.

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
Whatever you do, do NOT get the ones that "suspend" the seat from the arm rests with straps (kinda like seat belt material). As you shift or pivot they squeak a lot... not a good thing and you always have to oil or dust it to help keep it quiet.

The most comfortable stand I have ever sat in (other than a tree saddle, my go to option) is the Millennium stand! Millennium stands are the most comfortable i have ever found.

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Millennium also has a bracket system for hanging. Check YouTube for videos. For long sits my LW isn’t bad, but definitely not great.

That’d be great! I’m only hiking a 1-2 miles with the stand, so weight isn’t such a big deal. The old one I just hung last week is definitely heavier than anything on the market (id imagine).

Comfort and hanging simplicity are probably a 1,2 punch for top of the list.

Will do. Might be sometime tomorrow or Monday. If you don't hear from me pm me. Glad to do it, what pack might you be using? I have k2 Exo, hpg decker, and Cabela's external frame I could mount them to and take pictures if your interested in that aspect.

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
Will do. Might be sometime tomorrow or Monday. If you don't hear from me pm me. Glad to do it, what pack might you be using? I have k2 Exo, hpg decker, and Cabela's external frame I could mount them to and take pictures if your interested in that aspect.

I have a Kifaru and a Barney’s pack frame. I’ll probably just use the Kifaru and strap it to that.

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely check out the Millennium M-150. I have not used one, but definitely look very comfortable and will purchase one soon. I have used alot of hang on stands with the flat foam seat, they're not very comfortable for long sits, so gunna upgrade to Millennium.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I have an XOP Vanish that i use most of the time. It is compact, which is great for carrying in and out, and I feel like I have plenty of room, even with size 15 rubber boots on the platform. However, for long sits, the M150 mentioned several times is hard to beat. It is about like sitting in a recliner. It is wide and tall for packing though. But likely worth it IMO

If you are hanging it and leaving it for the season, go with the Millennium if a little extra comfort is something you'd want. Otherwise If you plan to hang and hunt, or move the stand often go with it the Lone Wolf. The Alpha is $199 on Amazon right now.