What would be the best solution to my current issue with my Savage Model 110 Long Range Hunter in 300 WSM?

Back in Sept of 2019 I bought a new Savage M110 Long Range Hunter in 300 WSM to accompany my longtime .270 Win. I mostly bought it thinking that I would use it out west for elk and mule deer šŸ¦Œ and give me more bullet weight for possibly longer ranges and bigger bodied animals than the whitetail deer šŸ¦Œhere in West Virginia.
Well I havenā€™t been able to get out west since my tag along trip to Idaho in 2019. So I wanted to make it a ā€œkillerā€ and have taken my first two branch antlered bucks with it. One at 25 yards and the other 50. Most places in WV are thick and shots under 75. Anyway I canā€™t get the supposed adjustable brake to turn off. As you know brakes are loud and with quick close quarters shots I canā€™t put in hearing protection. My ears rang for a couple days afterwards.
Should I send it back to Savage even though I heard their customer service is horrible? Should I have a gunsmith fix it? Should I ask the gunsmith to cut it off and rethread my barrel for a brake that I can take off while hunting? Or should I sell it and buy a similar priced rifle in .300 WSM like a Tikka T3X Lite or Superlite or a Browning X Bolt Stalker or the Hells Canyon Speed or Long Range or similar option. Even though I prefer left hand, my current 300 WSM is a right hand. I am fine with that.
Any advice would be great.

Forrest

Attachments

• 934A4167-6BF6-42C9-9207-AA01745D35FD.jpeg
    934A4167-6BF6-42C9-9207-AA01745D35FD.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 51
OP
ForrestGuy82
Just get some electronic hearing protection that you just wear when hunting.
Thatā€™s true, they do make a Walkerā€™s Game Ear šŸ‘‚ that isnā€™t a big ear muff more like a hearing aid. Thanks for the reminder.

OP
ForrestGuy82
Chop it to 20ā€ and rethread it for a suppressor
I would love to get a suppressor someday but I canā€™t validate the $700-$1200+ cost to my wife. I just found out this year that theyā€™re legal to use for big game in West Virginia. I thought only for coyotes and varmints. I probably would go from 26 to 22.

ElPollo

WKR
I would love to get a suppressor someday but I canā€™t validate the $700-$1200+ cost to my wife. I just found out this year that theyā€™re legal to use for big game in West Virginia. I thought only for coyotes and varmints. I probably would go from 26 to 22.
My wife actually told me to get off my ass and buy a suppressor so she didnā€™t end up living with a deaf old man. Unfortunately I feel like I might already be a 1/3 of the way there. I have permanent tinitus in my left ear. Ringing your ears like you did is permanent hearing damage. You may not recognize it yet, but one of these days you will. Also, if you do the math, those in the ear electronic plugs will make things a bit better, but still wonā€™t make a braked magnum hearing safe.

OP
ForrestGuy82
My wife actually told me to get off my ass and buy a suppressor so she didnā€™t end up living with a deaf old man. Unfortunately I feel like I might already be a 1/3 of the way there. I have permanent tinitus in my left ear. Ringing your ears like you did is permanent hearing damage. You may not recognize it yet, but one of these days you will. Also, if you do the math, those in the ear electronic plugs will make things a bit better, but still wonā€™t make a braked magnum hearing safe.
I agree with you 100% my ears hurt just thinking about it and probably from the damage that I did. I probably will go back to my .270 Win this fall at least until I can get the issue fixed with my .300 WSM and proper hearing protection.
She thinks itā€™s a good idea, but us getting a house šŸ” and out of this little apartment is taking priority.
Do some places offer a long term payment plan for suppressors?
I donā€™t believe that I could put one on my rifle in itā€™s current state with a brake that I canā€™t twist off and is 24 inches without a brake. That would be a long weapon. So I would definitely have to chop it to 20 or 22 inches and have it threaded.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Soak it in a cup of carbon solvent, then try and turn it. Use pliers with a piece of leather. You can also tap on it to break it loose. Itā€™s carbonā€¦

OP
ForrestGuy82
Soak it in a cup of carbon solvent, then try and turn it. Use pliers with a piece of leather. You can also tap on it to break it loose. Itā€™s carbonā€¦
Thank you šŸ™ I will have to try that. Definitely worked on getting the old calipers off my car šŸš—

OP
ForrestGuy82
Savage customer service has been very good in my experience.
Thatā€™s awesome to hear šŸ‘‚ I think that I got that from some firearm reviews on YouTube from owners of a firearm not a gun writer or reviewer. Mostly on the A17 that I bought a few years back.

TN2shot07

WKR
I agree with you 100% my ears hurt just thinking about it and probably from the damage that I did. I probably will go back to my .270 Win this fall at least until I can get the issue fixed with my .300 WSM and proper hearing protection.
She thinks itā€™s a good idea, but us getting a house šŸ” and out of this little apartment is taking priority.
Do some places offer a long term payment plan for suppressors?
I donā€™t believe that I could put one on my rifle in itā€™s current state with a brake that I canā€™t twist off and is 24 inches without a brake. That would be a long weapon. So I would definitely have to chop it to 20 or 22 inches and have it threaded.
I donā€™t know what qualifies as long term but if you go through silencer central theyā€™ll let you pay while you wait on the stamp to come back. Depending on your processing time you could have up to a year.

Iā€™d just carry the rifle to your local gunsmith and ask them to remove it, probably less than a 5 minute ordeal. You also said youā€™d like a left handed rifle so Iā€™d see about getting rid of the Savage and get a Tikka ordered. When you do make it out west youā€™ll appreciate the weight difference, too.

Last thought, just because Iā€™m also from back east. You mentioned having a 270 already. Personally, Iā€™d probably just dump the magnum altogether and shoot higher quality bullets out of the 270 and /or upgrade the glass on it if needed. Elk wonā€™t like an accubond through the lungs from it either. Pick you up a lever gun (45-70 or 30-30) and have fun in those WV mountains!

Bigdave

FNG
Classified Approved
What I like to do is find my bullet that the gun likes while I have the muzzle brake on.

Then once I get through that, I pull the brakes off and put thread caps on. Sight it in without the brake. Then leave the brake off.

If it is a hunting rifle.

I have never noticed the recoil on a gun while shooting an animal.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What I like to do is find my bullet that the gun likes while I have the muzzle brake on.

Then once I get through that, I pull the brakes off and put thread caps on. Sight it in without the brake. Then leave the brake off.

If it is a hunting rifle.

I have never noticed the recoil on a gun while shooting an animal.
Noticing recoil is one thing, being able to manage it is another. Practice with it the way you hunt with it. Especially if you are hunting beyond 400 yards out west.

I train with a .22 and .223 on my form and trigger press, but I have to consistently work my form for recoil management with my 7 mag, even suppressed.

If you are a lefty, itā€™s not a bad idea to get a different rifle. That Savage is a heavy gun. If you went with a lighter gun the recoil of a magnum is gonna be a lot more unless braked or suppressed. A magnum is overkill for VA and 6.5 creedmoor is more than enough gun for western hunting inside 400 yards. It can be stretched further of course.

If I were in your situation it would be a 6.5 creed or .308 for factory ammo or handload a 7-08 Ackley if I were to build.

OP
ForrestGuy82
I donā€™t know what qualifies as long term but if you go through silencer central theyā€™ll let you pay while you wait on the stamp to come back. Depending on your processing time you could have up to a year.

Iā€™d just carry the rifle to your local gunsmith and ask them to remove it, probably less than a 5 minute ordeal. You also said youā€™d like a left handed rifle so Iā€™d see about getting rid of the Savage and get a Tikka ordered. When you do make it out west youā€™ll appreciate the weight difference, too.

Last thought, just because Iā€™m also from back east. You mentioned having a 270 already. Personally, Iā€™d probably just dump the magnum altogether and shoot higher quality bullets out of the 270 and /or upgrade the glass on it if needed. Elk wonā€™t like an accubond through the lungs from it either. Pick you up a lever gun (45-70 or 30-30) and have fun in those WV mountains!
Long term to me would be 6 -12 months. I got on Silencer Central and they offer a 4 month payment plan. The Banish 30 is $900+ Plus the $200 tax stamp. They do sell some lower priced ones including the new one from Nosler ($650)

I have not tried anything else out of my .270 Win. outside of the 130 grain Nosler BTs thatā€™s hard to find now. I do have a box of Hornady 145 grain ELDX to try that is factory loaded. My brother gave me some 150 grain Nosler Partitions to try though.

I definitely would love a lever gun in 45/70 (if I could find ammunition) to hunt deer šŸ¦Œ and possibly bear šŸ» in WV or PA and if and when we go on a wild boar šŸ— hunt.

TN2shot07

WKR
Long term to me would be 6 -12 months. I got on Silencer Central and they offer a 4 month payment plan. The Banish 30 is $900+ Plus the $200 tax stamp. They do sell some lower priced ones including the new one from Nosler ($650)

I have not tried anything else out of my .270 Win. outside of the 130 grain Nosler BTs thatā€™s hard to find now. I do have a box of Hornady 145 grain ELDX to try that is factory loaded. My brother gave me some 150 grain Nosler Partitions to try though.

I definitely would love a lever gun in 45/70 (if I could find ammunition) to hunt deer šŸ¦Œ and possibly bear šŸ» in WV or PA and if and when we go on a wild boar šŸ— hunt.
Iā€™ve had really good luck with the Federal loads in my 270. The new terminal ascent bullets and the trophy bonded tips impact about the same out of my rifle. Both would be fine on elk and have been pretty easy to find. I also have one that likes the Barnes ttsx but theyā€™re harder to come by.

I just picked up a nice 336 in 30-30 but would really like to come across one of the new Ruger made Marlins in 45-70. Iā€™ve been seeing ammo but $2k for a lever gun is rough. Sure is fun to add a little challenge with open sights!

OP
ForrestGuy82
Iā€™ve had really good luck with the Federal loads in my 270. The new terminal ascent bullets and the trophy bonded tips impact about the same out of my rifle. Both would be fine on elk and have been pretty easy to find. I also have one that likes the Barnes ttsx but theyā€™re harder to come by.

I just picked up a nice 336 in 30-30 but would really like to come across one of the new Ruger made Marlins in 45-70. Iā€™ve been seeing ammo but $2k for a lever gun is rough. Sure is fun to add a little challenge with open sights!
I have heard nothing but glowing comments about the Terminal Ascent ammo. I canā€™t find it or the reloading bullets in stock.

My brother and Dad have 336 in 30/30 and love them. I too would love to get my hands on the new Ruger Marlin 1895s whether the SBL or Trapper. The $800-$1000 markup is ridiculous and reminds me of what dealerships are doing with certain vehicles šŸš— šŸ˜”

OP
ForrestGuy82
Noticing recoil is one thing, being able to manage it is another. Practice with it the way you hunt with it. Especially if you are hunting beyond 400 yards out west.

I train with a .22 and .223 on my form and trigger press, but I have to consistently work my form for recoil management with my 7 mag, even suppressed.

If you are a lefty, itā€™s not a bad idea to get a different rifle. That Savage is a heavy gun. If you went with a lighter gun the recoil of a magnum is gonna be a lot more unless braked or suppressed. A magnum is overkill for VA and 6.5 creedmoor is more than enough gun for western hunting inside 400 yards. It can be stretched further of course.

If I were in your situation it would be a 6.5 creed or .308 for factory ammo or handload a 7-08 Ackley if I were to build.
Thatā€™s very true. Even big guys can be adverse to recoil.
Thatā€™s a good idea to train with a light cartridge especially if it has a similar trigger system to your bigger cartridge rifles.
The rifle isnā€™t too bad to carry around here, but I could imagine that it would be hiking those mountains šŸ” out west.

I do actually reload and have 100 30 cal bullets that I havenā€™t reloaded with yet.