What would you do?

03mossy

WKR
I recently bought a Bergara Wilderness Hunter in 300wm that will be my main big game out west rifle going forward. Having trouble making a decision on what scope to put on it. I am thinking of pulling the Leupold VX6 2-12 off of my Savage 30-06 as that will just be a tree stand gun here at home from now on. And then just replacing the scope on the '06 with a VX3 3.5-10. Good idea or should I look at the new VX3HD line for the 300? Or something else? I am not a long range hunter but would like to get better at it, at least at the range.

Appreciate the advice.

Laramie

WKR
I would leave the 2-12 on the 30-06 personally. That is a great magnification range for the 30-06- especially on the low end for tree stand hunting. I use a 4.5-14 out west and like the 14 power on longer shots. 12 would be fine but if you have to buy a new scope anyways, may as well outfit the new rifle with new glass.

This is a fairly simple explanation article covering magnification and distance shots at animals.

Essentially each level of magnification covers 100 feet. The end goal was to have the animal appear 100 feet or just over 30 yards away when viewing it through the scope. For example, at 12 power, an animal 400 yards away will appear to be 100 feet away through the scope. 14 power gives you that view out to almost 500 yards.